Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan2

Macademia nut harvest

bananafan2
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This year, our 2 Macademia nut trees are producing nuts. They both have been planted some 4-5 years back, when they were about 4-5 ft. Now the older one is about 20 ft and the younger one 18 ft or so. They're definitely fast growers. However, among the two of them, the younger one is producing most of the nuts. I think the older one is a Beaumont and the younger one a F103 (whatever that means).

The nuts look very interesting with a thick green skin. The skin actually peels open by itself after a while. Normally, the nuts would drop on the ground and then people would pick them up. I had to harvest them before they drop off as the animals here are having a feast over them.

They come in a bunch like this. The hard inner light brown shell is a chore to crack, but the taste of the nut is worth it. Does anyone know a quick and easy way to crack it?

It really tastes much like the store bought ones. Some nuts for some reasons are a bit soft to the chew. I think it must be due to the moisture trapped in there with the fresh harvest. Maybe a little drying off would help to harden the flesh and makes it more crunchy to the bite?

These are all the nuts among the two young mature trees. There are about 270 nuts or so. I do not know how much harvest they're capable of producing, but I'm just happy with the harvest from the younger tree. The older one produces only a handful ... My DH said that he was too late to fertilize the tree. It seems they like to be fertilized on time before the bloom.

Comments (6)

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

Macadamias aren't actually tropical fruit. They come from the subtropics and grow best in that sort of a climate. I have a couple but they struggle here, although some people I know got theirs to finally fruit. Took many years and they don't get much fruit but they're proud of their achievement. I'm hoping mine will eventually produce some fruit as well, just to be able to say I've done it, LOL. I like Macadamias but they're pretty expensive. I also like Cashews and they grow really well here. Be thankful that Macadamias aren't as difficult as Cashews to process.

• bananafan2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Susanzone5. I'll try with your suggested methods. The nuts can keep for quite a while. There were still some from last year.

• bananafan2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, how old are your trees, tropicbreezent and what kind of climate do you have there?

• tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

There are some tropical species of Macadamia but their fruit (nuts) are inedible. I have 2 trees of the warmer growing subtropical species.

One I've had for about 10 years, no exact date recorded. It has died back a bit a few times but it's too exposed to the sun and in poor soil. I'm worried that trying to move it could kill it.

The second I got about a year ago. It has more shade and the soil is better. As it gets bigger the nearby trees will get trimmed back to allow more sun in. So far it's going well but time will tell.

The climate here is equatorial monsoonal, so we have distinct wet seasons (summer) and dry seasons (winter). It's the middle of the dry season now, this morning's minimum temperature was 18.9C and maximum 35.3C but humidity is low. July is our coldest month. I'm keen to get mine fruiting like those other people here have. They more or less threw down a challenge by saying they've now proved that it is actually possible. That's why I got the second one. Fingers crossed.

• vanman23
    6 years ago

I got a box full of macadamia nuts last year in exchange for a box of pecans. They came from San Diego. The shell is super hard. The easiest way I found to shell them is to use a large pvc pipe cutter. Get a large one because the regular size one you won't get as much leverage. Align the seam of the nut with the blade and cut it open. Usually it will crack open along the seam before you cut all the way through. Most of the time you only get halves. The nut will still be stuck to the inside of the shell. Push on the side with a gap and it will pop right out.

I like the chew of the soft ones. If you don't like the softness, you can dry roast them after you shell them or you can dry the whole nuts in the oven before you shell them. If you dry the whole nut in the oven first you may get more whole nuts. I haven't tried this but you might want dry them and then put them in some thing like a pillow case and then walk them on the ground. This may dislodge the nut and you may get more whole nuts. You can hear them rattling inside the shell.

I still have half a box. I don't know if they are any good still.