Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schelleq

Paint front door

Michelle Fagan
6 years ago
Any suggestions on what color we could paint our front door? We'd love to give it a little pop of color and are thinking something in the blue family. Thank you!

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    6 years ago

Blue relates to nothing we see. Today, everyone thinks everything should be blue or gray. They are often used because they are trendy ...and who wants their home to look like all the other "followers". A photo of the entire house would be more helpful, as the doors are part of the entire house.

• Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Barbara. I appreciate your input
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Carol, thank you! Love the bold!
  • Carol Mullane
    6 years ago
    or bolder...
  • User
    6 years ago
    Yes, go for it! Our front door was recently painted a medium eggplant. Realize it looks more cornflower in the pic, but it's almost dusk and I just took it.

We sold the ivory storm and replaced it black.

The combo is terrific and we receive many compliments. Good luck!
  • User
    6 years ago
    The color is more realistic in this older pic. Yay purple!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You have a potential for a beautiful entry. The biggest problem I see is the light creamy paint around dark doors. What I would suggest is to paint the trim between the doors and around the doors etc same color as doors. It will make for a grander entry. The dark color in my view is a classier look than a bright color. But if you chose that direction, paint as I have suggested for best overall look.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is example of doors and trim consist color. Makes a bigger statement and with your stone and mortar I would even consider going with the color of your mortar. Nice house btw!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Opps here it is.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Teal, purple, bittersweet, coral - all good choices.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Put large lamps on each side of the doors.
  • Jennifer
    6 years ago
    I definitely agree consider door/entry as entire composition and one that's supposed to be high ranking in the hierarchy...

That said, check out Farrow & Ball Brinjal
  • Jennifer
    6 years ago
    Brinjal F&B
  • PRO
    Ready Stage Sold!
    6 years ago
    I would paint the garage doors also.
  • PRO
    Rosenthal Realty "Home and Design"
    6 years ago

I love your house first of all, what ever your style is you should incoperate your taste. Look at your wardrobe usually whatever color you love you will own the most of hopfully not white,cream and beige lol but a very dark gray, or black is very classic, blues w white and cream can be classic or trendy(can do version or muted like a turquoise or teal, a bright yellow w the grey is fun, from the flowers maybe you like jewel tones. I would like your house a white with med grey trim and shutters or white w wood accents and the wood accnets near shake a darke color either wood or gray color. In order for your elevation to pop or contrast paint your hardy shingle a different color than body of house I am still thinking a dark grey or a muted color shade and add shutters to the left bottom window and two top windows in same accnet color. Your door can be the pop of color just have shutters and hardy shake same color. Good luck.

• annied75
    6 years ago
    I would go with your original thought of a blue hued door. I think it would look good, since your home is yellow-based.
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for such great ideas! One mentioned garage doors as well. Wondering myself if we should include those?
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo Mangan, thank you for that great tip and idea! What a difference it makes
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mary O'D, I love your color door. Do you have the exact name of it?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

aubergine. Glossy. goes w/the cream and w/your stonework.

or if you have to have blue, try one of these

also, while I like your potted plants, they are a bit small and non noticeable. grab some larger pots, even taller, to put in the corner by the door. Coleus, ferns, impatiens, all give great color. put the two taller ones like this on either side of the door.

and for the two small blue ones you have, put something a bit more colorful so you can see them!

here, a little photoshop

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would not do your garage doors. Garage doors mainly facing front are best kept color of body of house. Be aware of the number of colors you have going on now. I see off white body siding, white windows, cream window and door trim gray stone with black or dark gray mortar, gray trim on upper part of portico over porch, a blue/gray paint on floor and step of front porch. At least two too many for the eye to handle. That is the reason the front door trim and trim over the transome window would look best all painted one color.
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Beth for the floral ideas. We've only been in the house 7 months, and I've gone from a black thumb to a brown thumb this season trying to find flowers that will survive! With the FL heat (Jacksonville/St. Augustine area), the house facing NW, and only sun, in the front, during the hottest time of day its been a hell of a struggle keeping things alive!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Being in the Gulf Texas region, I can relate to keeping flowers in pots. My best success is with asparagus fern, which does well no matter what, grasses and some types of succulents. The succulents come in a variety of colors too. Lantana also does very well. Hope that helps! I feel your pain.

• enjoffe
    6 years ago
    Paint door and trim the color of the grout. Painting a front door on a rustic house a "pretty" color doesn't make sense. Plant dark colored succulents in huge, dark pots. Get an extra large sisal doormat. Change the hardware to something more substantial in a darker metal. Hardware is important and what's on there looks wimped out. It will make a huge difference. Do not go matchy match with the front door and garage. Garage should not be a focus point. Apologies if I sound bossy just trying to be succinct. The vibe of the house is earthy. Embrace it!
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Enjoffe, no love your tips! Thank you.
    Everyone on here has been more than helpful. Really appreciate all the help
  • cathihc
    6 years ago
    Michelle, little tip for FL plantings. Get some water crystals and mix them in with the soil. You can even take the crystals out of diapers, lol, it helps to keep the soil moist. I noticed a big change in my potted plants. I'm in Delray Beach. Your home is beautiful! I love that area.
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Cathihc, wow! What a neat idea! I have a 1 year old still in diapers, so I have plenty to use!

Thank you, we love the area as well! We're half way between Jacksonville and St. Augustine and couldn't be happier. Delray is a beautiful area as well. I love FL and having the option to visit so many great places while still being in the state!
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Rosenthal Realty "Home and Design",

We loved your amazing ideas! If we decided to paint the trim and shakes, would we also need to paint the garage doors the same color as the shakes?
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

• Cheryl Schwarz
    6 years ago
    Just a thought have a door mat that covers the area before both doors. Lovely house if I could cast a vote for colour I would go for Indigo blue or dark purple. But go with your gut. Good luck and remember if you don't like it you can always paint it a different colour : )
  • Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    emmarene,

Your pictures are so incredibly helpful! Thank you for taking the time to do that for me

Cheryl Schwarz,

I like the idea of a dark purple as well. My husband keeps saying he has the draw the line and can't get on board with a purple door! I keep telling him it won't be Barney the dinosaur purple I'm persistent so good chance I'll get the final say!
  • Heather N
    6 years ago

I actually really like the overall colors! I agree on painting the white strip between the doors. Also, all of your windows have an outline of white around them, can this be painted to match the rest of the paint color surrounding them?

i would personally do a glossy black, or maybe a dark navy/eggplant.

DEFINITELY a stronger overhead light fixture. Sconces on either side of the doors as well? Perhaps bolder light fixtures to coordinate over the garage doors? Dark steel or matte black fixtures would look great with the creamy house color.

can you replace the door handle with a taller vertical one? The current one looks like the type of handle and lock you'd have on your back door. I think you need a grander handle and lock combination. I think that would make a huge difference.

Also, a wider doormat that spans both doors - a simple coir style would look great. Or even a big outdoor rug that fills up the whole area in front of the door and a little bench to the left?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Pretty house! I agree with keeping it earthy. You might take a look at a bronze color such as Sherwin Williams Leather Bound.

• Cheryl Schwarz
    6 years ago
    You could show your husband the mock up from Beth H with the aubergine colour and the plants . It's purple but not Barney.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Cheryl - thanks for the laugh, I needed that! "purple but not Barney!" Great description.

• Michelle Fagan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We will for sure be painting the white strip between the two doors, but is it necessary to paint the entire trim/transient window if we decide on the aubergine color?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I'd leave the trim in white about door/transom.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Depends. If you really want door to have presence, paint trim and transom same color especially if you select dark color. Makes it look mire like whole "system". But if you are
    uncertain, paint a couple sample boards in the color and cut them in long strips and tape them together on the back i a trim look and test out color that way. Post photos when you finish
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH