Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marbles21

Fireplace-what should I do to this thing?

Sarah Borok
6 years ago

Any suggestions on how to beautify it with a DIY? It's slate. Cannot paint, right? I think all the details are ugly, want to cover it up completely

Comments (14)

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

It does not look that bad to me. Maybe it's the stuff around it. Can you take a picture of the entire fireplace.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Looks pretty from what I can see of it.

• maka1ii
    6 years ago

What's wrong with it? It really looks nice. What styles do you like?

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Maybe its the abandoned shoes that are throwing you off.

• Sarah Borok
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's actually a great idea! Thank you!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    It is a really nice surround. I would remove all items around it and keep it minimalistic. The crane painting is great! I see a modern white chair and an antique oak chair. So a nice eclectic space would work well with the fireplace surround.
    Sarah Borok thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

For once it's a fireplace that people aren't sitting here trying not to just come out and say "jackhammer the thing out of there and start from scratch". :P

OP, that is a good fireplace, maybe the shoes can find their way to the feet-owner's room instead of where they are? Or you can put a shoe-organizer into a hall closet if there are certain pairs that people tend to want to put on most days as they go out and then they'll have a place to go when they return and take the shoes off - that's what I've done with the hall closet downstairs next to the garage door so my most frequently worn shoes and my house slippers are in one place that's easy to find on my way to or from the car.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

I am thinking the ornate fire screen could be changed to something simpler. Painting around the fireplace (opening to marble) is a good idea.

Sarah Borok thanked erinsean
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Caution on painting inside the surround. First, a dark color would make the stone stand out more, so if you don't want that, don't paint dark color. Second, I don't see where painting that inside edge is going to make a difference at all. You might be able to install some interesting tile on that space that would be authentic to the look? But my feeling is, working in the rest of the room, is the answer. I could see a great eclectic look in this space, although I would love more pictures to help you visualize something cool and interesting.

My Houzz: Garage Sale Meets Glam in Ohio · More Info
    Imagine a room like this with your fireplace and painting. This fireplace is somewhat similar but the room is what stands out with the interesting details and white and black color palette! could you enjoy your space with this type look?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

btw, that surround looks more like marble to me than slate? Are you sure of the material? The hearth looks like the same material and I would be you have marble there. Something people would love to have. Is this a living room or a dining room?

• Em Reyes
    6 years ago

place some cabinets beside it. It will be a great focal point if you accessorize it properly.

• User
    6 years ago
    I would paint the fireplace wall a medium gray.
  • w93639
    6 years ago
    Hello ,
    The style , size and lines of your fireplace are very nice , can you decorate around it so you don't focus on what you don't like ?
    Are the details you don't like painted or carved ? If they are painted could you seek out a professional and ask how to remove or lighten them ?
    Do you use the fireplace ? If not, how does it look without the screen and the fireplace tools? How would it look with a huge fern in it ?
    Your crane art style looks great with your mantle How about hanging your crane art on a larger gilt mirror and filling a bigger space above the fireplace ?