Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptangwai

How large do paniculatas grow in colder zones? (z5b - Toronto)

P TW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I see many Paniculatas that I'd consider growing but I am always alarmed by the listed mature sizes because of my modestly-sized urban yard,

I do have a few but the oldest ones have only been in the ground 4 full years now in areas fairly exposed to winter and getting full sun (about 8 hours/day), and so I don't know if they are anything close to their mature size.

For example: Vanilla Strawberry listed as growing to 6-7 ft tall, 4-5 ft wide. Well, for me after 4 years it is 3.5 ft tall and almost 5 feet wide because of the flopping, so it grows more horizontally.

A Pinky Winky was planted right next to it at the same time. It is listed as growing 6-8 ft tall and wide. After 4 years it is 3.5 ft tall and 4 ft wide. So more upright, but still nothing close to the listed mature size.

I have a 4-year-old Quickfire in part sun (3-4 hrs/day) that is only 3 ft tall and wide. Again it was listed as growing to 6-8 ft tall and wide.

Should I expect these to keep getting bigger and bigger in years 5+? How large do you expect?

I have a spot near the VS where I would love to plant a paniculata that would grow to about 4-5ft tall and wide, but not knowing the actual mature sizes of these plants in my area I am hesitating.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

I have heard of people who have QF in the northeast and it is a about as tall as me so 6' by 6' (not sure how old that shrub was though). PW seems to be bigger when I have seen pics so assume it can get to 8' (it may get wider than it is tall, so assume >> 8'). With a shorter growing season, similar shrubs in your area may be smaller and not as wide in 10 years but may be in 15 (just a guess) they may be. Also, consider that those numbers in the plant labels are "guestimates" ;o)) to begin with, probably around 10 years of maturity, not just 4 so get the smaller versions for those spaces.

If you are given a size range in a plant label, assume the larger number applies to places with a longer growing season (ex.: usually the southern states) and the smaller number applies to places with a smaller growing season (usually cold northern locations).

Finally, hydrangeas never stop growing so, yes, you can assume that they will keep getting bigger. However, in cold regions, dieback will occur sometimes and help keep large sizes in check. But paniculatas are also known for being vigorous growers... after being pruned, forexample, they recover almost all their previous height in a single growing season.

Lastly, paniculatas like VS which have not been for sale "long enough" do not yet have a track record so it is difficult to see if the estimates in the plant labels will turn out to be way off or not.

• hyed
    6 years ago

Hi PTW, all my pancis are 9/10ft after 8/10'yrs, in the sun 6 to 8 hrs ....you might consider the smaller versions topping out at 5/6 ft....had to move a couple of little LL, not enough sun few blooms,now th're loaded

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

I'd go for smaller cultivars if you want smaller plants. My two oldest paniculatas are Pinky Winky and Quickfire, and both are by now (8-9 years old and unpruned) around 8' tall, with PW getting perhaps 12' wide. QF is narrower, perhaps 6' or 7' wide, but whether that is because it is in a more confined space, I am not sure. I am colder than you are, and my plants are in moist, well-drained, acid soil in all day sun.

• guyground
    6 years ago

What I've found is that the size of the paniculatas can vary a lot based on soil condition / sun.

It sounds like where you are, for whatever reason they are staying a bit on the smaller side.

They do continue to grow but after a certain point growth rate drops dramatically.