Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrina_davis48

A frame interior design

Sabrina Davis
6 years ago
I purchased a 900 sq foot A frame home, the walls start to angle from the floor, which means I have no flat wall space in the living area. I'm at a loss trying to figure out a layout and wall
Color that won't make the space look cluttered or closed in. Anyone have ideas or photos of other A frames that start the angle from the floor? Everyone picture I look up, the home has flat wall space and the angle starts up higher. I've ripped up the floors and about to remove a wall or two, excuse the mess, HELP!

Comments (2)

• PRO
    CLARICE SMYTH DESIGN
    6 years ago
    A-Frames are charming but can be a challenge to work with. However, with time and patience it can be done. A few key things to know.

In designing A-Frame interiors it is all about scale, placement, and built-ins vs freestanding. Less is always more and fewer properly scaled larger pieces most often work better than multiple small pieces. Tailored and low profile upholstered pieces tend to work well.

Look at what you already own and honestly consider if it works for the space, if you love it, or if something else would be better.

Do not be in a rush to get it done. Difficult spaces are best lived in a bit, just as they are, so you can determine how it needs to function for you.

Keep the walls white. White will minimize awkward angles.

I recommend BEHR paint ULTRA PURE WHITE it is a neutral white. It is a stain blocking paint & Primer in one

BEHR ULTRA PURE WHITE 1750 -Matte
    BEHR ULTRA PURE WHITE 2750 - Eggshell Finish
    BEHR ULTRA PURE WHITE 3750 - Semi-gloss for trim
    BEHR ULTRA PURE WHITE 5558 - Ceiling Flat

In rooms that have a ceiling plane use #2750 on walls and #5558 on the ceiling.

In any rooms that the walls peek with no ceiling use #1750 or #2750 only.

If the walls are average with minor imperfect #2750 is best because you can easily wipe off smudges.

If the walls are of your home are highly textured or imperfect use #1750 as Matte as it downplays these issues.

Hope this helps. If so, let me know if I can answer or clarify anything else.
    CB
  • tatts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

To minimize awkward angles use the same colors on all joining surfaces; it does not have to be white. The flatter the finish, the better; because there will be less variation in the reflectivity from one pane to the next. The point is to minimize contrast from one surface to the next.

I'd build knee-wall storage in areas where you have enough floor space. Once you get less than 6' of standing headroom, that low space is of little use even if it's left open.