Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_fogel

Need advice on bookcases for one or both sides of my media stand

Jane F
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I would like to add bookcases to one or both sides of my media stand and I am not sure what to get. The media stand in the photos below is the Moore 60" stand from Crate and Barrel. The coordinating bookcases have been discontinued. I can't find anything to match the dark brown wood of the media stand so I was thinking of getting the two of the 30" Brixton bookcases from Room & Board below in mineral to go on each side of the media stand. Do you think that would look good? Can anyone suggest anything else?

Comments (24)

• acm
    6 years ago

Any chance you could post a photo facing the other way, so we can see what the room looks like and get an idea of your style, etc?

Jane F thanked acm
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great idea acm! I added additional photos of the room from various angles. My primary focus is bookcases, but I am open to additional suggestions for improving the room -- like a rug, art work, couch pillows and poufs.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I think shelves would look better.

Jane F thanked shirlpp
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion, but I really would prefer a bookcase or two rather than shelves. Any other ideas?

• Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Rina for the feedback. The discontinued matching bookcases were really nice, but I like your idea of getting the substitute I picked out and playing up a metallic theme. I could have some fun with adding metallic accessories.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    Now it's time to bring some color and life to the room with art...several large pieces of colorful art. Then pick one of those colors for a few accessories around the room.
    Jane F thanked felizlady
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Not exactly your TV stand but...

Jane F thanked shirlpp
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you felizlady! Love the idea. Any suggestions for art or other accessories that might look good?

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Both ikea and only $79-$99.
    Jane F thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Melissa. Those bookcases look nice, but I am not a fan of Ikea. I really like Room and Board, Crate and Barrel, and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Jane, I hear ya and I wouldn't want a room full of IKEA either, BUT they do have some really cool stuff, too. I've seen those ikea shelves and they are powder coated metal and are nice.

The room and board are metal, too. At $1199 to me it just seems very over priced.

I'd rather have the extra $2200 to go on a great trip somewhere ....

If these were solid wood, handmade, etc I could see it, but they're basically made the same way and room and board is just as mass produced as ikea...just my opinion....
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Oops sorry yours are $799, the larger ones are $1199.

Still over priced...
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Melissa, I see your point. But I feel safer with the Room and Board product and I can afford it. I really don't want to assemble IKEA furniture. I just want whatever will look the best. Anyone else want to weigh in?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I can afford it too. I'm just very thrifty and would rather get more value for my $.

I just think paying ten times the amount for basically the same thing doesn't make sense. I'd put that extra money where it would make a difference in the room...

A piece of art....

A luxurious rug....

Etc, etc....
  • Rina
    6 years ago

You could go as colourful as you like with art -- I don't know if the work below is available, but I do know it's by Erin Hanson. I picked it to show how your furniture forms a very strong base for powerful colour. If this isn't your cuppa tea, you could also be much more subtle. there's hardly anything that wouldn't look good in that room, really.

I love your double round coffee table, by the way. It's superyum.

https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/modern-impressionism-paintings

Jane F thanked Rina
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Bold black and white drawings would also look wonderful, but of course would bring no colour into the room. But that can be done in other ways, if you want.

Jane F thanked Rina
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Rina, thanks for the art example. It's a bit bright for my taste, but your example helps me figure out size and placement. I love my double round coffee table as well. It's very useful!

• Rina
    6 years ago

Don't worry, it's probably a bit bright for many people's tastes, though I do think she's very good. Categorised on this site as impressionist, but to me that's more expressionist. I think my point was you could go anywhere from black and white drawing to as much colour as you fancy. The black base you've built will carry it all.

Jane F thanked Rina
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Are you considering a rug? Actually my priorities are such that I would choose the dominant piece of art first (nobody is limited to one, you know) and then the rug.

Jane F thanked Rina
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Unless of course the rug turns out to be your big work of art. Some rugs are. Not a lot, but some. Okay, I'm babbling now. I'll go pour cold water on my head.

Jane F thanked Rina
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I decided to go with the Bookcase from Room and Board, as shown in the photo. Now I need to fill it up with my books and decorative items!
  • Jane F
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Still a work in progress, but I am starting to really like it.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

And that is all that really matters, however, I am not feeling it....Best Wishes.