Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duquesa7

Can you please help me? what to add instead of the bench?

MAMA Davis
6 years ago

I wanted to add a chair or ottoman and found this chocolate tufted bench just yesterday however it seems it is a little too much "chocolate" color on that side of the living room.

I think I will return the bench and change for either a pair of round ottomans or chairs but I'm a bit lost!!

Also, I'm aware there are too many things in here! all your kind suggestions are appreciated!!!

Comments (11)

• cindyberger
    6 years ago

First off, your color scheme is nice! If you keep the bench, perhaps soften the darkness with a small throw. I'm not sure if it's possible with the space you have, but I'd suggest centering the sofa and chairs area on the fireplace (this would move the sofa away from the window). The plants add nice color, but I think their sizes and placement aren't quite right. I'm sure it will be a great room!

MAMA Davis thanked cindyberger
  • Renee Pittman
    6 years ago

I see your furniture placement is symmetrical in the Traditional sense. Room dimensions are not given. I love the blue color in the picture above the fireplace. I would place the sofa facing the fireplace. If you buy chairs, a great pop of color could be the blue tone. Then place the chairs, one, on each side of the fireplace. You could place the bench in front of the window as a window seat. The two heavy black recliners seem out of place with the ornate furnishings. Better for TV viewing in another room possibly? The glass coffee table is a better height in front of the sofa. The plant next to the fireplace is incorrect, out of the scheme for now. Are the other two plants needed? The red ball on top of the left armoire, is out of place, too. A modern area rug in blue green and off white would anchor the sitting area. More white accents would add more pop and lift the style. Not sure how long the sideboard is, against the wall. You could place it behind the sofa. Take the two black chairs facing each other, and create another sitting area possibly. Maybe I critiqued too much, but I do envision a beautiful room.

MAMA Davis thanked Renee Pittman
  • MAMA Davis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much Cindy! The layout is a bit complicated, the sofa and the bench are facing the kitchen in an open space and the area is rectangular, so I have been struggling for months as to what to do with the furniture I had! As for the plants, thank you for your kind comments!! most of them were presents so it is hard to know where to place them but I will move them somewhere or probably out soon.. :) !!

• kulrn
    6 years ago

I love your sofa! Please post more pictures and let these pros do their thing to make your space beautiful!

MAMA Davis thanked kulrn
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    6 years ago

Groveraxle took the words right out of my mouth, pretty much summed up my thoughts. Like the question about the plant on the floor. It's almost as if you are trying to make some kind of plant divider barrier between two sections?

MAMA Davis thanked LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
  • acm
    6 years ago

I think I'd move the right couch back and add an arm chair facing the fireplace, so it's more of a conversational arrangement. I don't really understand the space currently occupied by bench and glass table, but more views of the room might help -- maybe this is intended to be a small dining space? otherwise, I'd make it a separate grouping, maybe a couple of reading chairs with a low table between them. But it's hard to say without seeing the rest of the room.

MAMA Davis thanked acm
  • MAMA Davis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your amazing suggestions!!!! Love them all!!! I'm sorry for so much confusion with this space and for my limited time to respond at this moment! The glass table and most of the plants are presents, so I'm aware of the crazy space I created, wanting to keep all... :( The purpose for the glass table was to have an area to maybe have some drinks and listen to the piano.. below is the area showing the piano.. hoping this gives you a better idea of the space.

The bench is a recent acquisition (but I may return it).. just because I thought something was missing in front of that glass table, places to sit... then I thought about adding a cowhide rug underneath.. but I love all your kind suggestions, rearranging the furniture around the fireplace.. I do not have much space to the right.. because it is sort of a walking space where people enters from the garage..also, on the left the entrance door is kind of wide.. I'm attaching some more pics after I semi-rearranged the furniture following some of decoratingdilemma's suggestions (I do not have a place to put those two heavy chairs, for now..).. and of course missing some of the other suggestions since I just came for lunch and have limited time. The last picture shows the table moved however the bench looked kind of too small against the wall.. or what do you think? Thank you all!!!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Thanks for the extra photos. The room makes more sense, now that we see the piano. The new arrangement with the sofa facing the fireplace is much better. However, the rounded back of the sofa is a bit problematic; the rectangular bench does not go behind it, and the console doesn't really work either. I think two smallish chairs (no taller than the sofa) angled a bit might work.

I'd put the console back against the wall and send the bench back to wherever it came from.

MAMA Davis thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Because much of your furniture is dark and heavy, I'd probably use something like these Blake rattan chairs from Crate & Barrel:

Blake Rattan Arm Chair with Fabric Cushion | Crate and Barrel · More Info

MAMA Davis thanked groveraxle
  • MAMA Davis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much Groveraxle, these chairs are really nice! I will check them out this weekend and also some blue-green ones since it would be nice to add some color touch as Decoratingdilemma suggested.. Loved the doggy : ) Thanks again!