Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurajhp

Which slab - Sea Pearl or Calcatta Quartzite

laurajhp
6 years ago

I created a couple of mockups with the cabinet color of cheating heart by BM we will be using and the floor color. I added the two slabs I have to pick from. Which do you like the most? Also, we are going to have an island in the space as well. Do you think we should carry the cheating heart color over to it or should we paint the island Rodeo which is the wall color or white? The first image is the wall color.

Comments (21)

• beanie1922
    6 years ago

I like the top slab the best and cabinet color on the island. Nice choices.

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

I agree with beanie. No bad choices here!

• zellycat2
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Can you paint some sheets of poster board your paint color and bring them to the slabs? White often has an undertone (green, yellow, pink) and it isn't possible to tell from pictures which one has the best undertone to match. It would be even better if you could do it in place in the light of your kitchen - if they gave you big samples of the stone.

That was my experience at least - things seemed to go until I got bigger samples together and in the light of the final location.

Especially with "white" tiles against "white" stone. Each could make the other look dirty or pink or green etc.

• beachem
    6 years ago

Remember sea pearl had a green undertone. Check that against wall paint. I can't tell from looking on phone.

• laurajhp
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rodeo has a green/blue undertone so it should go well together

• beth09
    6 years ago

I much prefer the top slab.

• jo_in_tx
    6 years ago

Prefer the movement in the top slab but they're both beautiful!

• Ranch Mom
    6 years ago

Beautiful choices. I somewhat prefer the top option. What is your floor?

• silken1
    6 years ago

They are both nice but I vote for the top slab. It seems to go better colour wise with the cabinets and floor. Assuming the computer screen and the photo is somewhat accurate!

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Ditto what Rita said

• Elizabeth Nothanks
    6 years ago

Top slab by a mile.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Oops, odd woman out.

I much prefer the second slab, the non linear, slightly zig zag lines. From the picture, it seems to me that it has more depth, too.

Are there any turns in the counters, or is it all one straight perimeter? In other words, does the templating make a difference? In terms of performance (staining, etching), is there a difference?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Having just learned on another thread that horizontal lines in a slab cannot be mitered into elegant turns- so you get short vertical striations in some runs and long horizontal ones in others (see the thread on how to run wavy fantasy brown quartzite), I would choose the second slab. Plus I think nosoccermom is right when she says the second slab has more depth. The first one is more dramatic and the second one more lustrous perhaps.

• isabel98
    6 years ago

I agree, second slab hands down just for the pattern alone. I wouldn't like having stripes on my counter but having said that they are both beautiful.

• zorroslw1
    6 years ago

Top slab has more pizzaz, but either would look great.

• dan1888
    6 years ago

You can find Calacatta with the slab cut to give you a pattern like the second slab. It depends on the angle.

• javiwa
    6 years ago

When I compared Calacatta vs Sea Pearl a few years ago, most SPs did appear green; the Calacatta's gray seemed a more pure gray. If you like the linear quality of SP and like the C's gray (this might be what dan1888 is referring to), find samples of Macaubus White, which is the crosscut version of Calacatta.

ETA: If possible, take samples home and view with/under YOUR lighting. From my experience, warehouse lighting was much different from my actual kitchen lighting.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Top slab

• bdesignor
    3 years ago

Going through a similar selection process only I have white (very white) cabinets. Which did you choose and are you happy?

• Donna M
    3 years ago

which did you choose--i am looking for a pic of sea pearl installed