Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linzita512

Please help - kitchen layout emergency! Gurus needed, my mind gone.

linzita512
6 years ago

Renaming thread as suggested to get advice from kitchen gurus...just posted earlier and in other forums.

Original: I'm so beyond time to make these decisions, need to pull the trigger to start cabinet builds but having major second thoughts!! And rightfully so, after seeing comments from a previous thread. It started as wondering where should the microwave go??... Original post:

First we had a connection microwave above the oven, but we (think) we want a double oven so we moved it to the fridge wall, in an appliance garage - but then I wanted it symmetrical and put an appliance garage on the other side of the fridge also, for mixer, keurig and toaster but as i'm typing i'm realizing those will not all 3 fit! And the appliance garage was designed tall to accommodate those (22") and I'm thinking its just too large -- and will make upper cabinets harder to use as well.

Should I put micro under counter, next to fridge and eliminate garages? Should I abandon double oven and go with oven/micro combo? Do oven/micro combo and put 2nd oven under cooktop?

My goodness help!! So behind schedule. Need to decide like today for the sake of my marriage.

Since original post... I will move DW back to right side of sink (with trash on the left) - that was my change, and an error. I'll swap lower cabs for more drawers.

I don't think I can move fridge, and probably not sink or oven at this point, unfortunately. We are seriously behind the game, and I'm tired of stressing about how this build process should have gone; all I can do is go from where we are to make it the best we can.

I'm hoping by moving DW, eliminating appliance garages and making lower cabs drawers it will solve many problems...but still don't know about ovens/microwaves.

Please tell me what you'd fix, before it truly is too late! I imagine I've been afraid of what I'd find out which is one reason why I never posted. Ignorance is bliss I guess, but not really! And we thought we were working with a kitchen designer, but I realize now not really.

We are behind "schedule" to our frustration but I'd rather be frustrated now than when we are living in it for years to come with a beautiful but difficult to function kitchen.

Comments (17)

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hubs isn't sold on idea of microwave drawer, but what about under cabinet micro to the left of the fridge? We are wanting built-in dog bowls in the side of that cabinet.....(hence the faux panel there now. Maybe we put an under counter microwave and low cabinets (to avoid the panel) and have all drawers on other side of fridge? And I mean the KA microwave with a door that opens down like an oven.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

Linzita, can you give us a quick sketch showing how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house? Where does the doorway by the ovens go? What do you see from the sink? What's to the right? Finally, how many people in your household? Do you entertain a lot?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Linzita we need a sketch of the room with dimensions and also how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house. please.

Hubs isn't sold on idea of microwave drawer, but what about under cabinet micro to the left of the fridge?

Awful. It would mean having to constantly bend down to reach in or see what's inside. With a drawer, the controls are easy to read while standing and the drawer opens up and you reach down to pick up your food. Why is he against a drawer?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I don't think I can move fridge, and probably not sink or oven at this point, unfortunately.

Why not?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Tell your husband your marriage will be at far great risk if he pushes you into some quick decisions that you will later regret!

As you were told on the other board, those bottom cabinets need to be changed to nice, deep, wide drawers. They will be the best thing about your kitchen. They are life-changing!

Hope some of the great experts on this board show you how to make some changes.

linzita512 thanked Anglophilia
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Please post the 2d drawing with dimensions and we can offer more specific help.

linzita512 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

I don't know your dimensions or where the rooms lead to but based just on what you gave us to see, this is what I'd do.

1. I'd move the oven down a bit more and then move the fridge to the opposite side and then center the cooktop on that wall.

2. I'd move the dishwasher and cleanup sink to where the fridge was.

3. I'd put a prep sink on the island but make sure it's off centered so that there is plenty of prep space to the left of the sink.

4. I'd put a drawer microwave to the right of the sink so it's across from the fridge. Easy to access then.

5. I'd add a double trash drawer to the left of the prep sink.

6. I'd make all the cabinets under the cooktop and to each side of the cooktop drawers and make them as wide as possible.

I would forget about symmetry. In reality your version wasn't symmetrical either since the island was off center of the back wall. You will never be viewing the kitchen symmetrically. It's only in 2D that we care about symmetry in the kitchen.

What you now have is distinct zones for each task. A separate zone for prepping food (on the counter). A separate zone for cooking (on the back wall) and a separate zone for cleaning up (along the lefthand wall.)

linzita512 thanked cpartist
  • rantontoo
    6 years ago

Appliance garages on both sides of fridge...where is the landing zone for things taken out of the fridge?

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm now available again and digging into these now....here is floor plan to kitchen area as requested. And to answer first questions I saw...family of 4, with hopes of entertaining...don't currently do much in our small house.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cpartist I guess nothing is impossible, but not sure I can backtrack with electrical, plumbing and drywall already finished. :( feeling beat down and frustrated. not enough planning was done upfront I don't want get into details venting about the builder, but the process has not gone as it should have. can't change that now, trying to make it best as we can with minimal changes to current progress.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

rantontoo I will be getting rid of those appliance garages, we tried hard to make them work but i see for many reasons they will not. but to answer your question, i was thinking the island would serve as adequate landing zone.

• linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

muskokascp I found your photos (and figured out how to tag people!) - beautiful kitchen and I'm happy to see some similarities to my own! Thanks for sharing your pics and tips.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

I would sacrifice a bit of symmetry for better function. If the plumbing can't be changed, I'd at least move it over to the right, and place the DW on the side nearer the DR, which I assume is off to the right. Then I'd put a dish hutch on the perimeter counter, to balance the ovens on the other end. With the DW and dish storage on that side, a helper can unload the DW or gather dishes to set the table, without interfering with prep and cooking.

I moved the pantry door forward, to give you more space in the pantry, and to incorporate the door into the fridge wall. If you need elbow room on both sides when removing something from the wall ovens, you can open the pantry door. Cooktop and hood are centered between the ovens and dish hutch.

The fridge is beside the pantry door, bringing it closer to the prep area, and providing a counter beside it for landing. The MW is on a shelf beside the fridge, with a cubby beside it, for cookbooks, cutting boards, or coffee cups, with space below for the coffee maker. Someone can re-heat left-overs, make a sandwich, pour a glass of juice, etc, without needing to turn to the island. The MW could instead be a drawer model, beside the fridge, but I wouldn't recommend an under-counter MW. Dog bowls could go in a low drawer, or toekick drawer under the dish hutch, or in the side of the island nearer the DR, to keep them out of the main prep/cooking areas.

Trash pull-out is on the end of the island, convenient to the prep zone, cooking zone, and also the fridge/snack area. The single bowl sink is off center, but if you use one with a left back drain, you can put the faucet more toward the center of the island.

Images--dog bowls in drawer

linzita512 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sherri1058
    6 years ago

My kitchen isn't all that different from what mama goose has done. I agree that you want to move your sink so that you can maximize your island counter space. My fridge wall was exactly as she has drawn, except that I put my microwave in an appliance garage in the tall cabinet. It worked really well for me.... it was at the right height and I could get it out of sight.

linzita512 thanked sherri1058
  • just_janni
    6 years ago

It's still workable without tearing out out the entire thing. mama goose has it in order.

linzita512 thanked just_janni
  • linzita512
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mama goose_gw zn6OH that is a lovely plan and I'm grateful you took the time to make suggestions. I maybe I can scoot the sink over but i don't think I'll be able to move pantry wall without drama, and therefore oven...we are so far along, they are building shelves in pantry already. I'm going to consider changing as many other items you recommended though.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company