Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nemodat

Looking for feedback on my first Ikea kitchen plan.

Peter
6 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to GW but I have learned a ton here this year. I'd really appreciate any feedback on my final draft plans for the Ikea kitchen I've planned, whether it be layout or the particular Ikea pieces chosen. A few points to note:

1. The plumbing has to be on or near the west wall, hence the location of the sink and DW.

2. The north-east corner is intentionally missing a corner cabinet because (according to Ikea) it won't be possible because the standard corner base cabinet would conflict with the adjacent stove.

3. I'm unhappy with the gap the cabinet above the fridge, and the wall cabinet to the north, so hoping for advice on that point.

4. I haven't figured out how to add countertop to the dishwasher.

I've tried to attach plans to this post, but I've uploaded screenshots of my design to imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/2gosa

Thanks so much,
Pete

Comments (20)

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mama goose, thanks for your feedback and alternate layout, much appreciated. I'll have to look into the additional cost of moving the plumbing, but I love the picture you posted from mathteacher -- I didn't know that type of arrangement was possible.

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

You need to allow at least three inches of filler in corners so drawers do not hit the handles of other cabs...this applies to a range oven also. I do not see the needed fillers on your plan.

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rantontoo: not sure if your comment is specific to the Ikea planner, but I was told by an Ikea KD this week that the planner automatically takes this into account, while she was reviewing my plans.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

What's happening in the red circled area? Is this an eat-in kitchen; you have no dining room?

In the Ikea planner... if you click on file and then email, you can email a link to your plan to yourself and then cut and paste that link here so we can tweak your plan.

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

benjesbride: I don't see a red circle anywhere, but you're right there's no dining room. So the south/southeast area is for the dining table. Here's a link to the design -- no idea you could do that.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ha! sorry about that missing photo. I'll check out your link. I've been having trouble with Ikea planner, but I need to run updates.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

I'm sorry. It's not obvious to me where the doorway is or if this space is totally open to a living room maybe?

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

benjesbride: the room is somewhat irregular and I was an Ikea kitchen virgin when I created this plan, so it's not showing the entrance. I'll try to re-do the plan
    properly but in the meantime, the doorway is in the south-west corner
    along the same wall as the sink.

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, here's a slightly updated plan that shows the approximate location of the doorway.

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

"I was told by an Ikea KD this week that the planner automatically takes this into account."

Not in my experience, and I've designed multiple kitchens in the planner.

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Regarding the need for filler pieces, does this include base and wall corner cabinets? How is a user supposed to know this -- did I miss something? I specifically asked the KD why the planner was intermittently showing a "conflict" message and highlighting the object in red, but she said it was fine, and the system was "sensitive." She was adamant there was no problem but this would explain why some of my cabinets are "red lined."

Also, does this mean that a user can't simply "snap" a corner cabinet into the corner? How exactly do I add the required filler pieces?

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

A designated corner cabinet won't be a problem. Ikea has two, one has a bi-fold door, covering both sides of the corner, and the other has a built-in filler.

The problem occurs when you put something with a protruding handle (like an oven or dishwasher) right in a corner where there's a drawer stack on the other side. Here's an example:

This one actually has clearance, barely. It's got a filler between the drawer and corner, and a set of drawers between the corner and oven (or dishwasher, or whatever.)

This can even happen on a smaller scale, if you don't have any filler... just the protruding handles can stick out enough to make them collide.

I'm familiar enough with the planner that I don't pay attention anymore, and I don't remember exactly what it says, but I think that it gives you a specific message when it triggers an issue. It should tell you what the problem is.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Gennifer's correct. And I wouldn't trust that Ikea worker. Make sure you have fillers and avoid red units. Here's how you add fillers:

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

What is the structure to the left of the sink in your drawing? Chimney?

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gennifer: thanks for clarifying, a picture says a thousand words.

benjesbride: a bit hard to explain.I'm attaching a picture of the actual layout -- AFAIK you can't create irregular-shaped rooms with the Planner so I stuck the structure in mostly to act as a barrier, and to confirm the 57.5" of linear space along the west wall that's available for cabinets. As you can see, I'm converting a bedroom to a kitchen, so also had to roughly emulate the closet jut-out.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Oh! Can you sketch rest of your floor plan? Are you moving a kitchen or creating another kitchen?

• Peter
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have a sketch of the rest of the floor plan. If you or anyone else have any suggestions on the layout (including for example, the type of drawers and choice of innards, etc) that would be great. The link to the design is here:slightly updated plan.

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

Frankly, the layout as-is isn’t good. I think that people are willing to help you out with a better layout, but we need to know what we are working with. Are all the walls remaining? What’s outside the door? Is this the main kitchen? Where is the eating area?

A sketched floor plan would help immensely... otherwise, there’s not much we can do.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Ditto Gen