Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epialthes

Are you allergic to detergent, FS, scent booster?

Epialthes
6 years ago

I didn’t have any allergic reaction to literally anything in almost my whole life. But sadly, about 3 years ago, my perfect record comes to an end. I found I’m allergic to Tide Pods. The allergic reaction wasn’t remotely severe (i.e. minor rashes) but it was enough to deter me from using the Tide Pods further. However, I’ve grown more and more allergic reaction to variety of laundry supplements, including some liquid detergents and scent boosters.

Most liquid detergents are fine but some (not all) Tide and Gain gives me mild rashes. Usually, the one with stronger scents gives me stronger allergic reaction but not always (I’m fine with Gain Apple Mango Tango). Weird thing is, I don’t get any allergic reaction to its powder counterpart. Maybe it’s because powder counterpart usually have different smell compared to its liquid sibling but even if they do smell the same, I only get allergic reaction to liquid detergent.

Scent boosters are worse. Unlike liquid detergent, most of scent boosters give me moderate rashes, if I use it enough to smell it from the dried clothes. But there are some boosters that doesn’t give me rashes.

The worst thing is Tide Pod or something similar. I’ve tried 9 different scents from Tide/Gain/Persil but all of those gave me rashes. Maybe it’s the combination of the strong scent and the uncontrollable dosage.

In short, I’m not allergic to powder detergents, fabric softeners and most of liquid detergent. But I’m allergic to most of scent boosters and every pack detergent I’ve tested.

Anyone allergic to detergent? Please share your experience.

Comments (7)

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

I have sensitivities like yours. My husband gets actual hives. Unscented works for both of us.

Epialthes thanked Milly Rey
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

I started using Tide Free & Gentle, powder and liquid, when my kids were little (they're now all older teens and early 20s) but about 5-6 years ago some of us started having reactions -- rashes and itchiness. I don't think it's an actual allergy but definitely a sensitivity.

We've been using Cheer liquid ever since with no problems. It does make me nervous about switching brands now.

Epialthes thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Olychick
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm allergic to the scents used in detergents, fabric softeners, etc. Whatever it is that I suspect is sold by the gross at Costco, because I smell it on people everywhere I go, clerks and customers near me in stores, coworkers, concerts, etc. I can't even travel down the detergent aisles in stores (esp Costco) without having a reaction. Not sure why everything has to be scented to sell these days. Why isn't "clean" a sufficient scent, not artificial chemical smells. I am happy with this brand:

Epialthes thanked Olychick
  • friedajune
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't handle fabric softener. I think the issue is that it stays in/on the fabric, so if it's on your sheets, you are in constant contact with it for every second you are in bed. Your nose is up against it on the pillow. So I just avoid FS, and I don't miss it. In fact, I prefer the textures of fabrics that are not artificially softened. For detergent, I use Tide Free & Clear liquid, and it is fine.

Don't forget about your dishwashing liquid if you do any hand-washing. I cannot touch many of them, though I am fine with Seventh Generation Free & Clear dish soap.

Epialthes thanked friedajune
  • Jeannie Cochell
    6 years ago

I don't have a problem with detergents nor scents but rather the dust of powders. Absolutely, no more powdered soaps or detergents for me anymore.

• rococogurl
    6 years ago

Cannot get near any of the commercial detergents most use and most fab softeners and any booster. Cannot even walk down the detergent aisle. Hate the fragrances. They make me sneeze. The All F&C pods are so strong I had to store them in a sealed jar. Bounce is the worst of all to me.