Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockyroad

Roof suggestions for cedar home (request from Ima Chicken)

rockyroad
6 years ago

Really in a dither here about roofing color. Original green roof is aging/fading, and cedar siding has darkened with age as well (although it was stripped and restained 3 years ago). Should I stick with the original "Lincoln Log" look - dark green roof with mountain cedar stain - or try a stone/driftwood roof color to lighten things up a bit? I've tried those online simulations and cannot get a true feel for what it would actually look like.

I'm in the Puget Sound area, if that influences your opinion.

Any suggestions, including changes to trim color, are much appreciated!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I like the green roof, and would consider a darker green or brown for the trim.

Also, paint those garage doors! They should blend in, not stand out.

• rockyroad
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. Trim boards have been replaced with boral and painted deep hunter green since this photo. Totally agree with the thumbs down on the garage doors, but fearful painting them hunter green would REALLY make things look dark...or maybe you are thinking of another color? Thanks for your input.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

This is similar to what I was thinking for the trim. Mostly just showing how getting rid of the white would look.

• DH
    6 years ago

Hey fellow Puget Sounder! I think PPF pretty much nailed it, unless you’re looking for a whole new look? A charcoal roof would look good with the wood too, if you want a different option to consider, but it would be a very minor change compared to painting the garages.

• rockyroad
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll take that as another vote for a green roof. Charcoal is a maybe. I was thinking more along the line of a composite roof that mimicked a shake roof.

I guess at this stage I worry about resale appeal - hard to change the color of a house to go with a green roof. Then again, there are two new developments of grey-and-white faux craftsman homes nearby, so potential buyers wanting that look would probably go for one of those.

The installer of our new trim offered to give us free green paint to use on the garage doors...I guess he was trying to tell us something as well.

I guess I know what we'll be doing as soon as the weather warms up...

• Fori
    6 years ago

Lincoln Log home! Sounds awful, looks great!

I do agree about the garage doors. I'd also consider replacing them with wood (or in your salty neighborhood, faux wood) doors stained to match the siding, but that would be tricky and expensive and paint ought to be just fine.

A gray roof might look nice, but I don't think you want to go as dark as charcoal or it might look topheavy because of the light stone. The current roof is "dark" green but it's actually not very dark at all so it balances nicely.

• rockyroad
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fori, you didn't like building Lincoln Log cabins when you were a kid? I loved those things!

FWIW, we installed a paneled wood garage door on our previous home. It looked great, but man was it heavy! It started to sag in the middle after a few years. Stain also tended to fade quickly due to weathering/sun exposure.

Our current home has Armstrong-Clark Mountain Cedar semi-solid stain applied. Would be nice if I could find a latex paint that was a similar color. I've also seen people who apply a faux wood finish to their metal garage doors, but they all seem to be in Florida (?)

There's that "faux" word again. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the new developments near me, just that they weren't original craftsman homes like they have in Seattle.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I'm still building with Lincoln Logs and maybe the new ones aren't any good but the roof ALWAYS slips off... :)

If you hadn't mentioned Lincoln Logs, I bet I could come up with all sorts of fabulous trim and roof color options, but now all I can see is yeaaaahhhhh...Lincoln Logs! I do think the existing green trim adds to the feel. It feels like part of the roof. (I find it appealing. I dunno about everyone else!)

You could go a totally different direction with the roof and trim, but I'm liking the green. I wonder why. Have you tried the Home Decorating forum? They're pretty good with exterior colors.

• DH
    6 years ago

I like the green too. It is a nice deep green, so not overly bright. And it has a good contrast with the rusty redness of the cedar. In terms of color theory. It’s quite attractive. I say this even though I suggested the charcoal. I think as long as you don’t go with a lighter green, you will at least maintain the value of your home. It’s very nice-looking as it is. And there’s a lot of people who aren’t looking for brand new homes. As long as the interior is not too outdated, and there are no major projects or unfinished projects when you decide to sell, I think you will get a good price for your home. And a good real estate agent can help guide you in the little details on how to present your house in the best way. Staging a home to sell properly can really help you get top dollar.

• rockyroad
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just finished updating the kitchen and installed new hickory floors a few years ago. We are trying to keep everything updated, as much as that is possible.

Thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback. I will quit second-guessing myself and stick with the original look of the house. The roof was darker and a whole lot prettier before they came out and "deep cleaned" it. No moss now, but it has this bleached out look. It's aging anyway, so I will probably go with Pabco Premier Sherwood Green composite shingles next year. I suspect that might have been what the builder used back in 2000, as they are manufactured in Tacoma and offer a true dark green shingle.

I have all winter to stew about those garage doors - that's gonna drive me nuts now