Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karajwilson14

ugh bedroom do over

Andrea Key
6 years ago
I want to make my room look better. I'm keeping my headboard and cream colored quilt. we would like our room to be relaxing and romantic, neutral colors. I want to change out the lamp shades and keep the base. (I know my night stands and lamps shouldn't be that close to the bed, but w.e) I would like to paint my nightstands a different color. I'm not sure if that would make a difference. I like French provincial or traditional type furniture. I don't like mirrored nightstands. I'm 30 weeks pregnant so I probably won't be painting furniture or walls, I'm open to suggestions on anything.

-wants to change night stands (prefer small chests with storage)
-add a layer of detail for the bed (baroque, paisley or w.e) (comforters are a no go, too heavy for Florida & duvets are expensive)

-

Comments (74)

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    yeah it's a no go on the night stands he doesn't like them
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    katinparadise do you have any fabric print or pattern suggestions for above the window. I looked into cloth shower curtains and fabric too, nothing yet. I figure I can make a frame to fit the window since its 72 in length and a 1 ft width.
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Those chests are great. Ask the seller if they will paint them for a price.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Susan davis my husband said no. I really wish I could get them though
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    what color drapes should I get for sliding glass door, that can go with anything if we were to ever pain't ourroom

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FXEI5CW/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1513056262&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Half+Price+Drapes&dpPl=1&dpID=51jwG7S+fXL&ref=plSrch
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

6" tiles glued well [!] onto plywood, to be placed within window - how deep is the window - should be safe.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Maybe semi-permanent frame around it afterward - in a style that fits.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

The metal scroll pieces Home Goods sells - 2 of them on painted/stained wood, for inside of window....

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    bump (the link is posted 3 comments above
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Was mentioned to place curtains over patio [?] door --

Amazon idea / single panel is 100"W by 108"L. Each panel has 16 antique grommets (rim of grommet is 2.4", while inner is 1.6") can be hung from a basic or decorative curtain rod.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YM4Y5G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B00Y4K203C&pd_rd_wg=oOQe3&pd_rd_r=AXYPC327MSDRDHEWNQG5&pd_rd_w=04AsT&th=1

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Canvas art or fabric over the window.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    unable to find art thats 72 long, trying to find fabric
    can someone answer my color question about curtains/drapes please
  • Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago

I'd go white for the drapes on the sliding door.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I would look for curtains that are close to the wall color. You'll probably need 4 panels to be sure they're full enough. As far as fabric for the window, do you want it to look like art?

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    yes art like. but I'm not sure what would look best I like ornate, paisley, damask type stuff.
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    never mind no paisley
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I went to the fabric store I can't envision any of those as art, but I did order the curtains for the sliding glass door. I'm going to try the white and if I don't like it return for the grayish color. or maybe I should do burgundy it's my favorite color but I want to lighten up our bedroom and possibly use them somewhere else so we will see.
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm open to more suggestions for night stand looks though if anyone is out there lol :) I'm not into modern Scandinavian or midcentury. trying to find 30 high anything lower my pillows will knock things over.
  • Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago

Re fabric:
    If burgundy is your favorite, then why not look for fabric in this color and do above the bed what others have all suggested, like this? Could be done in a pretty burgundy print with grey and burgundy pillows and throw blanket along the bottom of bed.

Here are some fabrics from Robert Allen that you might like. You can order theri fabric online.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Do you have a budget for nightstands? I think you could use a white and burgundy fabric as suggested and then use the white curtains and add burgundy pillows.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've decided to nix the fabric idea probably going to hang up a wooden sign with a quote on it instead
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    probably a quote we both like or song,lyrics
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I bought the curtains someone suggested have to return them they aren't black out what do ever
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    how high and how wide to put the curtain rod?
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    the curtain rod goes out to 144". the curtains I'm trying to use with black out liner is 96" in length which is how tall it is From our floor to ceiling (I'll hem the curtains if it turns out the way I want)
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    is this guide good enough
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    34 and three quarters and 28 a quarter for the wall spaces
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    how do I make it look even when the walls aren't the same space?
  • PRO
    MAKOKI DECOR COLLECTION
    6 years ago

Hi Andrea Key, you need a wallpaper behind your headboard. Hanging pendants on the side of the bed. A hanging chandelier on the center of the room, and bring some color with throw blanket and scatter cushions. You also need a foot end

ottoman or a chaise.

You can custom make the ottoman to fit the length of your bed.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    haha chandelier lol no way
  • glschisler
    6 years ago
    Hang your rod so that the drapes go to the ceiling. You have two options for width. Wall to wall drapes or center the rod over the door. Then bring it out an equal distance on each side.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

hey Makoki,,,once again, you companies don't bother to read the details. custom made ottoman, that over the top chandelier (seriously?) $200 pillows,,,c'mon,,,which part of 'budget' didn't you get? does your pic look anything like OP's bedroom? (sorry OP,,nothing against your room. I just hate when these companies post their million dollar rooms on average people's posts)

here ya go. perfect.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    rods up, ordering another set of curtains and finding black out liner for it
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

andrea, chalk paint is non toxic and very easy to use. if you want to paint your nightstands to brighten them up, go ahead. use an off white shade or a pale blue or yellow. or keep looking on craigslist for the french pieces.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth I'm really considering it, is chalk paint removable
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

it can be sanded off. why would you want to remove it?

I've painted furniture for 6 years with everything under the sun. CP is the easiest.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Congrats.

That's an unusual elongated indent above the headboard; what's its purpose?

Have you considered stacking your two nightstands to create one tall chest of drawers -- adding a board to the side at the back corner and all across the back to "build" it into one unit? (might require sawing off the "feet) of one.)

You could then invest in a pair of narrower night stands that have the more romantic feel you desire -- no paint required.

You might consider a matching pair of interesting file cabinets -- useful for all the documents you're about to acquire and all that precious art with which you'll be rewarded in a few years and all those family photograph albums.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Rustic-Country-File-Cabinet-Weathered-Pine-Finish/54272121

Some with locks -- might be important for securing meds or weapons, etc., w/a toddler in your future.

https://www.wards.com/2-drawer-locking-file-cabinet.pro?source=c001&code=furniture&medium=inhaus&link=751328&cm_mmc=google--pla_campaign_computer--furniture-_-751328&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6mqxaGw2AIVnIKzCh3mRgT-EAYYASABEgJBSvD_BwE

There are more expensive 2-drawer oak file cabinets available via most office supply stores; however, with more expenses on the way ... budgets can matter.

You might even consider a pair of floor lamp /table combo as night stands.

http://luckyio.me/floor-lamp-table-combo/floor-lamp-table-combo-floor-lamp-table-lamp-combo-best-inspiration-for-table-lamp-with-magnificent-end-table-lamp-ottlite-led-floor-and-table-light-combo/

If you go this route, the small lamps could be repurposed for another bedroom.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth is there a way for chalk paint not to scratch? I do want our room to look lighter even though I'm putting up black out curtains is an off white, light blue or yellow the only way to go?
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    these are the two fabrics I'm considering to cover the window as art I know my husband likes the cherry blossom one so we will probably do that one and change out the quilt, as much as I love the idea of white with the dogs black hair it's not practical.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

No, you can use any color. I can't really tell what colors you have, so I picked those.

as for scratching, after painting you do a fine sanding so the finish is super smooth. from there you can buff it with wax, or use a poly top coat. It doesn't scratch any more than wood or other surfaces would. if you use wax, you must use a coaster with any drink.

you also don't have to distress the finish. chalk paint can be used like any other paint, covering the entire piece.

you said you like the french pieces. you can find these all day for next to nothing on craigslist. I've done tons of these.

(and you can do this w/the cheap-o laminated pieces)

or you can do yours like this

you can find all sorts of nightstands on CL for as little as $20 and make them look like new.

here's a link for a how to for you

http://www.thirtyeighthstreet.com/2014/06/the-maggie-end-tables.html

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth yes I'll probably have someone paint them my husband doesn't want to get rid of them lol I won't have time I think someone can do it for 400 for both. I just forgot what I was going,to say next. oh yeah there's tons on Craigslist but not the height 29" or not wide enough.
  • Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for telling me about the laminate never knew you could chalk that
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I want to learn how, and plan on taking a class soon. Nice to save money if possible.... is there a "story" behind these piercings?...

https://www.houzz.com/products/hartford-hand-painted-1-drawer-table-prvw-vr~56419502

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

what do you mean, 'story' ? I could replicate that finish easily. few different body colors (duck egg, pale blue,,a little antique white, gray) and a light top coat of a semi translucent silver metallic paint.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

I said reason for, or historical story-background about those piercings....

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

oh ok. I think it's just decorative.

• Andrea Key
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth do you think it's possible to add legs to the ones I have currently or is that impossible
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

you can. I've done it. Home depot and lowes carry some in-stock bun feet, or square feet. you can also order them on eBay or etsy has them.

my friend had this old retro side table that sat flat. she wanted it made into a pet bed with feet. She picked these and my husband attached them to the bottom. raised it about 4-5". and yes, she picked these colors!