Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noellek79

HELP! GC changed roof pitch and now causing problems during build

noellek79
6 years ago

Our GC suggested an 8/12 roof pitch instead of 10/12 or 12/12 to help save costs. They said it wouldn't really change anything. Now, during the build, it is affecting the second level. They didn't know about these issues until the framer brought it to their attention. Rooms aren't as big because of the slant, have to "clip" doors because the roof is too low, and a bathroom is no longer full height (8ft) but has a slant where part of it is at 6ft. They said it would cost $25,000 to change the pitch at this point since most of the framing is done. Do we have any recourse?

Comments (11)

• robin0919
    6 years ago

Did you approve these changes? In writing? Need more info.

• noellek79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We agreed to the roof pitch change verbally and the plans were drawn with the elevation showing 8/12. But we were told it wouldn’t change anything. There is nothing written in the actual contract about the roof pitch.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

When the plan was re-drawn they should have seen it coming and there would be an indication that the roof will cut the ceiling. I'm not sure if the designer missed that when changes were made and didn't mention anything or something got changed in the field when roof layout was being laid out and calculated.

I know when I design a home or an addition and when I place a roof on the structure, I will see if anything is affected by the roof or any other component. Here is an example, I created a situation where roof cuts the ceiling inside, you should look at your plan and see if you see a similar line indicating that this is going to happen. If it's there, they should have told you about that unless that was going to happen before the pitch changed.

If you can, take a picture of the plan where the roof is shown, just curious to see why the roof is cutting the ceiling.

• noellek79
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the side and front elevation and second level. It's the jack and jill bathroom doors being affected (as well as the rooms) and the back guest bathroom.

Thanks

• opaone
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That's quite amazing that they didn't catch that. They should have provided you with section drawings; one through a bedroom (but not through the dormer) and one through the J&J. Those sections would clearly show the problem.

If they are not taking full responsibility up front then it may be time to talk to an attorney. And sooner rather than later.

Off the top of my head the options are; 1) live with it but get a very significant discount on the house, 2) see if there is a way to fix it without completely rebuilding the roof but make sure a structural engineer is involved in any reworking, and 3) they fix it at their expense. On #2 make sure you understand any compromises to insulation or other factors.

Given the severity of this mistake I would be concerned about the rest of the house.

• User
    6 years ago

So, how much was changing the pitch supposed to save you? And why is the fox guarding the henhouse here? Why is a GC doing design work? That he is clearly unqualified to do. Where is your architect in this?

But it most of all, what is in writing? What does the paper trail say about making this change? Do you own the lot? Or does the builder? Can you walk away?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Keep in mind,

"They said it wouldn't really change anything."

It changed a lot.

"They said it would cost $25,000 to change the pitch at this point since most of the framing is done."

It should be stated, "They said it would cost [them] $25,000 to change the pitch at this point since most of the framing is done.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

You need to talk to a real estate lawyer. These changes cause a strong possibility that you bath will not even be up to Code.

• PRO
    GIRSH DEVELOPMENT INC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you didn't have a real estate attorney review your contract, get one TODAY!!! Also never agree to further changes without a written change order describing everything and providing costs signed by BOTH parties. This is a he said she said moment and you will have to argue or threaten them legally unless they take full responsibility. Let this be a learning lesson to 1) have legal contract representation and someone on your side in these cases and 2) to review any changes in writing.

All in all, if what you state is the way it happened (and I am sure they will have their side of the story) then they should either reframe the roof and make things right at no cost to you or give you a super significant discount if you can live with the change that you did not agree to. Attorney attorney attorney and make sure its Real Estate attorney and not someone who has once done a real estate deal.

Finally another thought. Document everything between you and your builder in writing and start communicating via email or text or letter so that you have something concrete to point to when you need it.

• dbrad
    6 years ago

I am so sorry. We had something similar happen with our framing, except there was no discussion about it beforehand - they just made a mistake. When the mistake was realized (shamefully for them, I was the one that noticed it - not the framers or GC!) we first consulted with the architect to determine what exactly was going to change internally as a result of the roof changes they made, then went back to the framers and negotiated a discount to keep it mostly the way they built it (they had to change a few things to be per-plan but not everything).

I would follow a similar path if I were in your shoes. Get a FULL list of outcomes from this roof change. If you (and the code officer) can accept them, negotiate a discount on your framing cost. I don't think it even matters that you verbally approved the change. He also verbally told you that it would not cause internal changes and he was dead wrong, so you only agreed to that kind of change, not the change you got.

And try to look at it this way. Your house isn't wrong just because they didn't follow the plans perfectly - it's unique!