Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chromatic

Need gray SW paint color to go with Waypoint "stone" cabinets.

Chromatic
6 years ago

My house is under construction. The builder wants paint colors by Dec 5. I am not able to pick colors later taking into consideration the room lighting etc., so I want to play it safe.

Attached is a vignette of the floor tile (darkest gray), the Waypoint "painted stone" cabinets (small gray painted square), backsplash (the white rectangle Dal Finesse subway tile is off to the left side) and HiMacs counter top (small white square).

The house will have 10' ceilings, lots of windows but shaded by 8' porches on all sides. I have same finishes throughout and would like to make this easy and pick one interior gray color. Trim and windows will be bright white.

I found one paint strip in the SW deck which seems to be a good choice. It has Greyish and Essential Gray on the card.

My dilemma is I am having trouble finding other examples of paint color successes using this painted cabinetry. It's the new grey cabinet color most cabinetry lines have started carrying under different names. Has anyone else used this painted stone color cabinetry and what color paint did you use?

Any advice or opinions here?

Comments (22)

• herbflavor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The whole house? Pick a really light bisque or cream white. Imagine a camel coat you wear with gray or black dress. Classic palette.....does not imply "match" . get away a bit from those grays and slightly warm up your walls

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Use the same white as the Dal tile. If you use gray paint, it will indeed look like a prison. You will be able to see how white paint looks when they use white primer on the wallboard.

• Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate everyone's comments. I am looking now at finding a beige color to emulate these photos I found that have the similar color to the cabinets I am installing.

Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray comes up often as the paint used in these photos. I read that SW7632 Modern Gray or Worldly Gray are close.

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago

I'm with Sophie on this. Don't go grey. I like Sea Salt because it has grey undertones and goes with practically everything.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    6 years ago

I'll say it a little bit nicer, heck a lot nicer than Sophie, that the gray on gray on gray is probably not the best route to go. Everything in your vignette is neutral so that leaves you a wide range of color ideas, blues, reds, etc. Worldly gray is close (it's a match for BM Revere Pewter, but is really not that far off from the paint strip you showed. Here is Worldly Gray in our LR.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Worldly gray is close (it's a match for BM Revere Pewter)

Colonnade Gray is the *closest* match SW has for Revere Pewter. And even tho it's close I wouldn't call it "match".

Worldly Gray is the second closest. Colonnade is prettier than the other two options IMHO but it all depends on the light in your space. Plus, I found it to be more constant than Revere Pewter that's super prone to crazy hue shifts with the light.

Revere Pewter, Colonnade Gray and Worldly Gray are a good range to use for comparison. And it's kinda fun to compare and see how they're alike and how they're different. (well, I think it's fun) :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Ooops. Apparently SW 1015 Skyline Steel is a closer match to Revere Pewter than Colonnade Gray. So in order of closest match it's Skyline Steel, Colonnade Gray, Worldly Gray.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

these cooler gray blues would also look nice

• Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    how do you all like this idea? it's using Wool Skein on walls with Pure White ( close to backsplash tile) as trim? I included a black as the lights over the island will be black.
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    or do you prefer Accessible Beige?
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    shoji white is paired with gray alot on Houzz
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

What furnishings and their colors will go in the space? What Lighting will be in the space. I realize you are under construction, but will you have recessed lighting? Under cabinet lighting? Pendants, etc. That floor tone will suck up color and with your covered porches that will greatly diminish natural light. I would consider BM Oxford White walls. It is a great white and will bring nice contrast without messing with more grays. You need sample boards that you take to the construction site and see what they do in what light you do have. I assume you are at least framed and closed in?

• Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes there will be recessed cans throughout....LED. Also under cabinet lights and two pendants over the island. My furnishings are mostly warm tans. I am not framed yet....getting ready for the slab to be poured. Here is an artists rendering of the kitchen....10' ceilings.

• Ashley M
    6 years ago
    did you choose a paint color?
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    yes....I played it safe and used Shoji White. it's very popular with everyone. I think I could have gone darker, but for one color thru the entire house, I'm happy.
  • Ashley M
    6 years ago
    thanks for your reply. we are building and are using the same grey cabinets with a navy island and I'm having the hardest time choosing paint colors.
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The other color I was thinking of which is a tad darker is Modern Gray. there are lots of posts here on Houzz with great cabinets using that color....Sherwin Williams. I decided a cool gray was just going to overwhelm the space in a icy way. Egret White is the other I considered. all very similar.
  • Ashley M
    6 years ago
    what are your countertops color and material?
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am going to use a plain white solid surface.....HiMacs (Corian) for the counters. I think there's a small piece of it in the photos above. The floor is that dark charcoal wood look tile. I am also having some grey stained barnwood in the house. I liked the beige paints that had a pink undertone with the grey cabinets better than blue or yellow.....green was out of the question Every color has an undertone as you know. I made the decision that pink was the best choice with my finishes. The backsplash is the white subway tile in the photos.
  • Ashley M
    6 years ago
    that's good info. thank you for your help.
  • Chromatic
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I ended up using Sherwin Williams Shoji White on walls and ceiling with Pure White trim. the color charts call this a light yellow, but I see pink. it might be because the walls are plastered.