Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Crown of thorn (COT) in full bloom.

Marie Tran
6 years ago

My COT are in full bloom. Few were done with blooms in the last few weeks. But most still in full bloom. I took these pictures this morning. Many pink, few red, they look the same in pictures but they are not the same in real life.

Comments (17)

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• escolat
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Stunning! Do some of your COT's bloom year round in Texas's warm climate?

• davez7anv
    6 years ago

sensational. congrats-great growing.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Escolat, some COT blooms year around, and some blooms from Feb to June and again from Oct to until we bring them inside, around mid Dec.

Marie

• Connie Orlando
    6 years ago

These are beautiful! My, you have a huge and fabulous collection! I am in Houston, too and this is my first winter to have COT. How long do you keep them inside?

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Connie, COT can be outside until under 30 degrees, some year I don't have to bring them in at all.

Marie

• CasualSweater
    6 years ago

These Crown of Thorns/ Crowns of Thorns (I’m not sure the proper way to pluralize it, haha) are beautiful. I was looking online to buy some as my local nurseries are extremely limited, but with shipping they’re all at least $40. I was wondering if any of you fine, wonderful people would be willing or interested in helping me out? I can trade or pay, if anyone is interested

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Casualsweater, email me at LTRAN54@HOTMAIL.COM

I can help

Marie

• CasualSweater
    6 years ago

Done! Thanks!

• Chris Harkey
    6 years ago

I have a little piece of Maries collection. Thanks Marie!

From Marie:

And these are some others I have collected:

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Chris, you are on the way....

Marie

• Alanna Migliacci
    6 years ago

Marie - Your COT collection is amazing! I bought a few tiny bundles of cuttings at my local nursery this fall, cream, pink and red. I really want a huge mix of colors, but they are hard to find around here.

Sadly, mine aren't doing well. A lot of the stems are bending and soft. Only 5 out of the 20 I started with actually look healthy and feel strong. The rest of the stems continue to lose their leaves and soften up. I don't know what to do. I water sparingly, but I don't want them to be too dry. at the same time, some stalks look thirsty and some overwatered. I try to keep them in the sunniest window, but they seem determined to die. If I can figure out how to make mine healthy, I love to discuss the possibility of cuttings. Please help.

This is what they looked like 12/7

This is from 12/31

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alanna, COT loves full sun and room in the pot. I mix osmocote 70% and 30% color star and feed it twice per year. First time around April and second time in late July early August.

Marie