Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldon

Ikea Kitchen - Reassurance and suggestions

meldon
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This project has been on my radar for sometime. But I find it overwhelming and have put it on the back burner. Our house is open concept and I find it a challenge.

We will be closing in the opening to the sunken family room and putting in a bank of upper and lower cabinets. The table removed, so no more eat in kitchen.

The main kitchen area will be changed to U shaped as the penninsula area will be straightened out. The columns will be changed to square and the cabinet and counter will be built into it in the kitchen. Also just past the column the cabinets will be raised with a separate piece of quartz and barstools kiddie corner to each other.

I have a few small or large details on my mind that I need help with.

1. I am leaning to doing the full kitchen in the Bodbyn Grey, with a light counter and backsplash. My other train of thought is to do the new wall from the sunken family room in the grey and the main kitchen in the off white. My concerns with that, are not knowing how the light floors will go with it and the white column built out of it.

2. I currently have my garbage bin next to the fridge. A large bin. In my new design. I put it in a 15 inch pull out next to the dishwasher. My husband feels like this is a waste of space and wants to keep the bin next to the fridge and use the 15 inch for a cabinet. Any thoughts?

3. When I started this design I really wanted to have my toaster and ninja blender hidden on the counter but behind a door with electrical built in. I really have no where to put it except in the spot I desginated for my built in microwave. I think I have resigned to ditching that idea of having them hidden and just storing them and pulling them out when needed. But again just looking for thoughts on what other houzzers might do? The only way I can see this working it to use the microwave spot and then having a over the range instead of a full hood fan.

4. Most of my cabinets have drawers inside. I think I will like this but is there a compelling reason to put shelves in any instead?

I know I am asking for a lot of answers but if you have an opinion on anything one way or the other I would appreciate it.

Comments (12)

• lisadlu16
    6 years ago

I thought like your husband concerning the trash can and now, one year later, I am so happy I did the trash pull out. You get used to things but when you remodel it should be an upgrade so talk him into the pull out. Also, I store my toaster in a drawer. More drawers than shelves definitely.

• lhutch13
    6 years ago
    So what's going where your kitchen table will be? Are you building a wall that opens to your living room or leaving that open?

Built in garbage is a must. Best thing I ever put in my kitchen. Mine is near the sink and where I do food prep, which is very convenient.

More drawer bases than shelves, definitely.

No appliance garage. Those were cool in 1980. Just pull it out of the drawer on leave on counter permanently if you use it every day.
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

2. We have a garbage bin sitting beside our current cabinets – and it’s big also (we create way too much trash!). It’s the kind you step on a pedal and it opens hands-free. I felt I couldn’t live without it… Our new kitchen will have the double trash bins under the cabinet (18” W). I now understand how this will not only make the kitchen neater, but it’s also positioned where I prep, so I won’t be carrying dripping ‘trash’ to the bin. Removing and emptying 2 smaller bins will be easier than our large one as well. We are also installing a blum servo drive so I can open it with the nudge of my knee (hands-free). I’d go for the under the counter trash storage and I wouldn’t consider it wasted space at all.

3. RE: relocating your toaster and blender: Do you use high heat/create smoke or boil quite a lot when you cook? A vent would be more useful than an over the range microwave in that case. Many are going toward an outside vented hood fan. Regarding on where to put your toaster and blender, I’d also recommend putting them in a drawer (or cabinet).

4. The majority here find drawers are far easier to use than cabinet shelves. Arguably, drawers inside cabinet shelves are less easy to use than drawers only in your cabinet bases. I currently have both, and am switching to all drawers for all my lower base cabinets (no drawers inside cabinets).

We will have one appliance ‘garage’… in an upper cabinet for our microwave with a door that opens upwards and folds into the wall so we may leave it open for those times we use it a lot. We chose this option rather than a built-in microwave.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dark kitchen once you close that wall.

I would certainly straighten the counter but I would still leave a 5x5 opening to the foyer

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 years ago
    Definitely do a trash pullout.

Drawers generally better, but work best with interior organizers (pegboard systems for dishes, cutlery organizers, food container organizers, etc.).

Conventional base cabinets with a shallow drawer over 1-2 doors are only about 54% effective in terms of efficient easily accessible space suitable for everyday use.

I would use shelves only for uppers.

Rollout trays are great for a pantry (24” rollout trays). A few rollout trays in base cabinets can be good for small appliances (especially tall things like a blender that are too tall for a drawer). Rollouts often are a practical retrofit but outside a pantry I prefer drawers.
  • meldon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your replies. The wall we are putting up is the one behind the kitchen table. Its an overlook to a sunken family room. so we are closing that in. The rest of the main floor will remain open. we are getting rid of the eat in kitchen table since the dining room is right across.
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Your mock ups show a wall, so I guess that's where everyone got confused. What you are putting in place of your kitchen table? Or will it be blank?
  • meldon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry for the confusion. I am not sure how to remove the wall from the software. The area will be blank. The cabinets and counter will extend a bit beyond the pillar and I will be placing 2 stools at a breakfast bar.
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Hmmmm. How much space does that leave between the breakfast bar and the railing to your stairs. This seems to be a major walkway to your kitchen and back door. To block off with stools may be inconvenient. So are there cabinets going where the table is now, because one of the design photos looks like that.
  • m_gabriel
    6 years ago

I got help with my IKEA kitchen design fromIKD - Inspired Kitchen Design. They specialize in IKEA designs with full plans and elevations for your contractor and much nicer 3D visualizations than the IKEA software alone.

• meldon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It will be a corner breakfast bar and there will be about 55 inches from the bar counter to the railing