Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arolik

What to do with blue vanity top in retro 1960 bathroom

arolik
6 years ago

I am buying a a house with a very blue bathroom, and I need some advice! I want to keep the wall tile (as well as the blue tub, not pictured) because they are in excellent condition and I want to stay true to the home's mid-century roots. I plan to paint the walls white or very light blue, and replace the flooring with a retro-inspired white or blue mosaic tile.

I'm not sure what to do with the vanity. It's newer replacement, and good quality, but I think the style and color of it really clash with the rest of the bathroom. I am considering painting the cabinet a true white color and adding chrome hardware...but what to do with the top? I'd prefer a white porcelain or quartz counter. How difficult would it be to remove the existing top myself? Is it something that would best be left to a pro? I am afraid of damaging the tile. I considered painting the counter, but I've heard that's just a temporary fix and wouldn't hold up over time. Does anyone have experiencing changing a vanity top that's adhered to old wall tile like this? Am I overreacting? Does it actually look fine as is?

Comments (20)

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

I would paint the walls white. Blue and white looks so clean.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think you need a third color. I’d do grey floor tile, darker grey granite countertop, white cabinet and white walls, chrome hardware and plumbing. The grayness would make a wonderful background for that blue border tile and tub. The white would keep it clean and crisp.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

The Corian probably is newer, so if it went in later, it should be able to come out. You might get some samples of plain square tiles from a few places and see if you are lucky and get a good match just in case a tile breaks. Retro-renovation web site sometimes has resources for matching older surfaces should you not be able to find a good color match, but I should think you could get a close match on the white.

Cute bathroom!

https://retrorenovation.com/

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

I think once you paint the walls and the vanity cabinet white and put in the new floor with blue accents the counter will seem much less of an issue. Get some multi colored blue towels/accessories/art.

• arolik
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing those photos, Rawket Grl. The tile I'm interested in looks a little like the pattern on the accessories you posted. I think I will go forward with painting the walls and cabinet and changing the floor and then just see how it all looks. I think adding accessories with yellow, gray, or just different blues will help.

jhmarie-- I love Retro Renovation! I've gotten some great ideas for floor tile from that site. You're right, I'm sure I could find replacement 4x4 white tiles if necessary.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

It looks horrid as it is. It does not look fine. You need to rethink your plans and come up with a new one for that bathroom. The only things that you could possibly decorate around are the floor tiles and the vanity that could be repainted. Everything else must go.

• arolik
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Cpaul1 I suppose we have different tastes, because the floor tiles and the vanity are my least favorite parts of the bathroom, mainly because they are updates that are not in keeping with the original style. I like the vintage tile, and my aim is to make changes that work with it.
  • lisadlu16
    6 years ago

I love the vintage tile. Try to stay true to the period.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Arolik, I ADORE the tile you’re considering. Notice it has grey, your third color.

• Joanne
    6 years ago
    I posted a dilemma last night about a backsplash and for the first reply got a very mean and nasty reply about how everything was horrid! I actually lost sleep over this. This morning there were lots of good and positive replies. Starting reading this thread, and suddenly see an mean negative comment! Same person! Don’t pay any attention to Cpaul; just an ass!
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

The vintage blue & white tile is the nicest thing in there; by all means preserve that. White for the walls, I would try to replace the corian countertop, even the color is “off”.

• Piper Lindeen
    6 years ago
    I would paint the counter grey, and paint the cabinets a dark greyish blue.
  • Maureen
    6 years ago

I would leave the counter as is, but stay away from blue walls and would suggest the same color as the creamy/white tiles on both the vanity and walls and change the hardware. Once you have made your other changes, then reconsider if you want to change it (would suggest a professional if you aren't handy). I think once you have added really great floor tiles, the room will all come together and the counter will only add to the look or not even be noticed. You could replace the medicine cabinet per the idea below and add sconces for a nice look.

• Melissa
    6 years ago
    It looks like the floor tile runs under he existing vanity. which means you are going to have to pull the vanity ty to replace the floor tile.
  • Melissa
    6 years ago
    Ugh, sorry about that, hit post on accident! If you have to remove it to replace floor tile, you might as well just replace the vanity with something less ornate that goes with the look you are after!
  • arolik
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Melissa, I had the same thought. The last time I was at the house, I checked, and the tile does not go all the way under the vanity. There’s a kick plate about 6 inches behind the decorative legs.
  • flyr4fun
    6 years ago

I'd be curious to see if the wall tile goes all the way around the vanity alcove, behind the medicine cabinet and on the sides of the vanity alcove? Like maybe it was all tiled and there was a pedestal sink originally? Does it look like the side splash material is inset into the tile or on top of it and caulked around the edges? If the vanity, counter, and backsplash is on top of wall tile then you can remove the counter and splashes. It's tedious and you have to be patient and careful, but it's do-able.

• gnu36
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you paint the walls above the tile sand off that bubbly stuff first! I think painting out the darker blue walls above the tlle, like you are planning on doing, would be a step forward.