Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usernamehz

help! Is it possible to adjust cabinet after countertop is installed?

usernamehz
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

is it possible to realign a cabinet after the quartz countertop was installeD?

The cabinet is next to the stove and adjacent to the sink. we worked so hard in leveling and making sure the drawers would open without hitting the countertop where the sink is. But it seems that the installers moved the cabinet. Now when opening the drawers it hits the doors under the sink and cannot fully open and scraps the countertop By the sink. I am so mad at myself for not catching this while the installers screwed in the plywood first. Is there a way to adjust the cabinet without breaking the quarz countertop??

Comments (11)

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    Can’t really picture what you are trying to convey, but all your cabinet doors and draws should be adjustable. If they are scraping anything the hinges are adjustable and the draws can be adjusted as well...you shouldn’t have to re-level the cabinet boxes.
  • PRO
    Solar Texas
    6 years ago

And the installers didn't catch this? Wouldn't it be on the installers to fix? You might be able to slightly adjust the slides a little to angle the drawers just enough to miss the doors.

• usernamehz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi nidnay,

the cabinet was moved and now not facing straight out which would of gave enough clearance for the drawers to open with ease. The cabinet is now slightly facing inward toward sink and so drawers are hitting the lip of the countertop and hitting the doors underneath the sink. I’ve adjusted the drawers as much as possible but they are stilling the countertop and doors under the sink

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    6 years ago

Can you call the installers and drag their butts back to fix the error? It just doesn't read like a professional installation. If the top drawer is hitting the adjacent countertop, I'd be concerned about what else isn't correctly installed. It's important for the cabinets to be shimmed level and aligned otherwise your countertop won't be supported properly and all that expense will come to naught if the countertop cracks.

Other than adjusting the drawer slides (and by adjusting, I mean removing and reinstalling if necessary), I can't see how you can avoid not removing the countertop to realign the cabinets, but I don't install cabinets for a living, so I defer to someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    6 years ago

At this point in time, anything you do to the cabinets is going to jeopardize any warranty claim with the installers. If you break the countertop or the cabinet trying to adjust the cabinet, the installation company may put the responsibility back on you. They screwed up. Let them fix it. IMO, call the installers first thing Monday and light a fire under them. Any tile work that is broken removing the countertop should be their responsibility. Take lots of photos. It might be a simple fix, but it should be on the installers to fix it.

I have to ask: How come you said that you worked so hard in leveling and making sure the drawers would open? Wouldn't that be something the installers would do or double check anyway?

• usernamehz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Solar Texas, thank you so much for your advice. Much appreciated!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Counter top Installers don't "move" installed cabinetry.You had a template done on site before the tops were cut, If something was going to "hit" it would have shown up at template time. Who did the template for the tops? . More reasonably, it SOUNDS like you did not account for the one inch of overhang of counter top on the adjacent sink side on DIY cabinetry fabrication, and are missing a filler that would have prevented this ..Or the fabricator did not notice there was a drawer that would never open when the tops were installed. Stupid mistake by someone. Post a picture. I wouldn't be surprised to see a farm sink

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Post a pic.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Sophie, Jan and Joe, all voting the same. Again.

usernamehz, if this isn't DIY cabinet install error, and in fact is the fault of the top installers, I will donate fifty bucks to the charity of your choice and I say that before I've even seen the pictures.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Really a properly installed cabinet does not move so something went wrong long before the counter was installed and I agree a farm sink ( god help us) is proably there making life just a little more interesting.