Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merktk1

What direction to lay wood look plank tile

Kim Merkt
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would love your opinions....we purchased a new home and are getting ready to have the builder install wood look plank tile throughout the first floor. The photos below are taken in the model...you can see the view from the front door, down the hall which opens up into the open living room, dining room and kitchen. The model has wood flooring layed side to side (horizontal). Most people I talk to say to lay it front to back (vertical)....what do you recommend? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• della70
    6 years ago

This direction is the same that was done in my home. I am sure someone will post why this is the common way to it.

Kim Merkt thanked della70
  • hatetoshop
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My hardwood runs the length of the hallway/dining/living, then changes at the end of the hall and runs across the kitchen/family room

Kim Merkt thanked hatetoshop
  • Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

I think it depends on method of install, glued, nailed, floating etc..

Here is a good discussion which can give you some things to think about.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-direction-to-lay-wood-floors-dsvw-vd~2976056

Please be sure to discuss and see samples of transitions at doorways, from one space to another BEFORE install so you are happy with them. I would even do a floor plan with markings on it to determine direction of floors in each room and how to deal with each transition.

Kim Merkt thanked Rawketgrl
  • Mattman
    6 years ago
    Sometimes tile require to be ran a certain way with the floor joist, worth looking into
    Kim Merkt thanked Mattman
  • petlover
    6 years ago

Our home is on a raised foundation with all original hardwood floors (except bathrooms). As you enter through the front door it's appears horizontal but if you go down the hall towards the bedrooms it appears vertical even though it never changed direction. Once you enter a bedroom it appears horizontal again. With an aerial view, it is all laid the same direction as how it was originally built.

Kim Merkt thanked petlover
  • Mattman
    6 years ago

Some tile manufacturers will also void any warranty if ran the wrong direction

Kim Merkt thanked Mattman
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    6 years ago

Go the other way! It will make rooms bigger and your entryway look wider! It would be much inviting to continue through your home from the beginning.

Ken

Kim Merkt thanked Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • PRO
    Intelligent Design
    4 years ago

according to quite a bit of online research (now that wood tile has been around a bit longer than this inquiry was asked) the recommendation is that you run wood-look or rectangular tiles the opposite direction you would if it was a wood floor because generally tile is not run through an entire home like wood is. Wood is usually run from the front door completely through the home to the back door to draw you in. For rectangular tiles, running the long end perpendicular to the long run of a room becomes more pleasing to the eye according to Carla Aston Design and other articles I have found. Not only will it make the room or hallway look wider, but it will not look like a bowling alley either due to the width of the tiles versus the narrow width of your typical wood plank.