Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieboulangerie

Removing everyday soils/oil on pillowcases

julieboulangerie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I bought these light gray (smoke) colored sheets from Brooklinen. They're relatively new, but my face, neck and ears have a lot of oils on them (even after showering before bed). Those oils end up on my pillowcases, and I can see them! Ick. Makes me wonder what is on the other pillow cases where it's not so obvious.

Anyway, washing on the true, certified Allergen setting in my Duet and using the steam sanitize function isn't getting rid of the lingering oils- I can still see them! I've tried every detergent in my arsenal, including Tide plus Bleach powder, Persil pearls, Ecover (has lipase), Tide Plus bleach liquid, Tide Ultra Stain Release, Grab Green pods (lipase again). Seriously? I can't believe these aren't coming out. Any other ideas? I don't think I should have to boil wash my pillow cases every week.

Comments (14)

• sparky823
    6 years ago

I would soak the cases in some Dawn suds for a while before washing.

• swamp
    6 years ago
    Use Citrasolve. It gets out set oil stains. I’ve been using it over a decade. Even keep a bottle in laundry room. Spray or dab, let sit and wash in machine.
  • true4uca
    6 years ago

Try liquid Awesome (from dollar store).Kinda looks like apple juice.Great on my DHS pillow cases.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Then there is always plain old ammonia. It works at removing oil. Don't mix with Chlorine bleach though.

• Cavimum
    6 years ago

I wonder if the stains are not body oils but s from skin care products. I once used a la Roche Posay moisturizer that left oily looking stains on my pillowcase that refused to come out.

• julieboulangerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's funny!

This week's attempt at removal is pre-treating with Tide Plus Bleach Alternative liquid.

Cavimum, I thought it might be skin care products, but it happens even when I only wash with Cetaphil cleanser at night and don't use moisturizer/other products. Go figure.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Tide plus bleach alt is fine to pretreat. No bleach in it.

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

For dh's pillowcases (with heavy oils), if I use hot wash, Borax and Mexican Ariel powder and a soak of 30mins minimum, this issue is resolved. He doesn't use any moisturizers though, he's just oily.

• julieboulangerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Verdict: the pre-treating and pillow case only wash did a good job, but not perfect. Sounds like I am getting closer!

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

For what it is worth, Ammonia does great for removing body oil and odor in hockey equipment.

• Janice jones
    6 years ago

I always use baking soda and white vinegar in every wash. It cleans, boosts detergent and gets rid of odors and oils.

• julieboulangerie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update 2: I pre-treated with Ecover stain remover, did a delicate wash with just the pillow cases with cool water, and then did the whole sheet set in hot. That seemed to do the trick. I'm having to do it every week because of the oils.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Well..as you know the stain is caused from a build up of oils that than turn like wax. I buy vintage, flat, white, 100% long staple cotton sheets from the 50's&60's....used....they are VERY stained and reek to the high heavens...I've had to boil them...but I also had good luck using Tide with Bleach powder and ammonia...but very very hot water is a must as is multiple hot soaks and washings....remove the oil build up and the stains will be gone...this is why I always say body oils can be the biggest soils..

And don't you go feeling bad...everyone has body oils no matter how often they shower. ..trick is if you have more body oils than the average bear...change your pillowcase more often..this will help prevent too much from clogging up the fibers.

I change mine and the boys daily..only takes a hot second and i have a lot of them

Good Luck.