Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriscapo

Wolf Induction Cooktop vs. Wolf Gas Cooktop??

kriscapo
6 years ago

We're building a house and I'm trying to decide between the Wolf 36" Induction cook top vs. the Wolf 36" Gas Cook top. I don't know much about the induction cook top, but my husband asked about it at our appliance store and the person we're working with (at the store) loves hers and says she would never go back to gas. I've never used gas, but was planning on it in the new house until I heard great things about the induction cook top. Would love to hear any feedback.

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Personal choice , IMO not one better than the other.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I actually wanted both and they don't make it in a six burner configuration. Each has its own pluses and minuses. It all depends on HOW YOU COOK. In my situation, gas won out because you cannot cook with all pots/pans with induction. I love to stir fry so it was gas.
  • weedmeister
    6 years ago

" In my situation, gas won out because you cannot cook with all pots/pans with induction."

That isn't necessarily true. Those units without power sharing can use full power on all hobs at all times. Even with power sharing, some are only reduced by maybe half, and then only temporarily.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

" In my situation, gas won out because you cannot cook with all pots/pans with induction. I love to stir fry so it was gas."

I'm not sure what stir-frying has to do with anything -- I still stir-fry in my wok. It is true that not all pots and pans will work on induction, but I only needed to replace about half of my collection and, since they were about 25 years old, it wasn't a hardship.

• clt3
    6 years ago

Love my Wolf induction. Switched from a Fisher & Paykel gas cooktop.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago

I have cooked on both - as I said gas won out, but it is a matter of personal preference. What I really wanted was a cooktop with BOTH induction and gas and Wolf simply didn’t make it in 2016 when I was renovating my kitchen. Each method has its pluses and minuses and you have to access your individual needs. Part of what you must consider is your locale. In my part of the country, heating up the kitchen in the middle of the winter is not a negative because its below zero outside. If I lived in Miami, I would have done induction. Another consideration, how long are you going to live in this house? For resale, talk to your Realtor - again in my part of the country gas is king.

• Marci
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I really, really love induction. It's just so easy! I find the temperature controls plenty sensitive. The top is just a wipe down with no crusty gunk to clean off or around. I live in the SE, so I'm glad not to heat up my kitchen. I switched to induction when my kids were little and I appreciated the safety. I've been cooking on it about 10 years, and am doing a reno currently. No question that I'll be using it again.

As for the cookware, I bought a nice set of pans and have added some random Le Creuset over the years. Other than shopping for a manual popcorn maker I've never had any sort of a problem or issue.

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

You may want to do a search of this forum for the pros and cons and other info re: induction. It's been discussed many times. I was a big fan of gas until I moved to a place that didn't have a gas line to the range so I considered induction before I rushed into running a gas line to the kitchen. In my previous house I had a 36" Wolf gas cooktop. I now have an Electrolux induction range. I would never go back to gas. The only thing I prefer about a gas cooktop is the rugged, heavy duty grates. You have to be a more careful with the glass cooktop however that would never cause me to go back to gas.

• jt fields
    6 years ago

I'm sure this doesn't help since I don't have a lot of experience with gas to give you a direct comparison but we love our induction cooktop. My wife refers to it as "magic". You've never boiled a pot of water so fast.

• kriscapo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your input. I've asked around and no one I know has even heard of induction, let only used it so to hear that those of you that have it and love it is great news. I've only used electric in the past, but will have access to gas now, which is why that was the way I was originally going. I'm not worrying about the pots/pans issue as I'll be getting new ones anyway.
  • M
    6 years ago

Induction cooktops tend to still be higher-end items. So, if you compare a high-end induction cooktop to a low-end gas cooktop. Induction wins every time :-)

If you compare a high-end induction cooktop to a really great gas range-top, then things are more comparable, and it comes down to personal preference. There are pros and cons for both. It really comes down to what you need from your stove.

Do you want to use a round-bottom wok? Do you need front-facing analog controls? Do you want a traditional slide-in range? Do you like the easy of cleaning cast iron open grates? All of these would push you more towards gas.

Do you like a smooth easy-to-clean surface? Do you want the absolutely fastest way to bring a pot of water to a boil? Do you need timers on your burners? Are you afraid of having open flames in your kitchen? All of these would push you more towards induction.

And in the end, it really comes down to implementation details. I have cooked on a couple of induction cooktops over the years, and I all felt they made compromises that I couldn't live with. But that doesn't mean induction is a bad option; it simply means the models that I got a chance to try out, didn't work for me. On the other hand, I have a Bluestar gas range that I wouldn't ever want to give up. It works reliably, intuitively, and powerfully. It does exactly what I want, and it does so with even the most unusual pots that I can think of. YMMV.

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Since you're building, I would highly recommend you run gas and sufficient electric to the cooktop/kitchen in case you buy one and later decide you'd prefer the other. Usually much easier to do up front than trying to retrofit later. I had to upgrade my electrical wiring and circuit which I was fortunately able to do through a partially unfinished lower level.

I have a gas range in my second home and would love to upgrade to induction in the future but not too optimistic it would be realistic to get the necessary electrical run in that case. If not at least I'll be able to continue to enjoy the heavy duty grates ;-)

I have to say "easy cleaning" is much better with the smooth induction top. I recall people saying they really liked that and I thought not a big deal. However it is much easier than the old Wolf gas cooktop and I get it now that I have it. I do also like the fact there isn't so much heat coming from the gas flame, especially in the summer. And I do find that I really like the very granular low settings for simmering. I was never able to get that kind of low, even simmer with gas.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

"Other than shopping for a manual popcorn maker"

I had one for my flat-top electric (Whilrly Pop), but I find with induction I can use a regular pot like I used to back in the coil-electric stage. I do put some paper towel down over the element to help smooth the shaking (and catch the occasional splatter of oil) but it works just fine.

"Do you want a traditional slide-in range?"

I'm not sure how that's a gas thing......aren't most induction ranges "traditional slide-in" configurations?

• KD
    6 years ago

The only thing is with Wolf there have been oven lining Issues (discussed in depth here on Houzz) and those make me hesitant to go with a wolf electric oven, like in the 36” range.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

PirateFoxy, take a look at the Bosch ovens. Not as expensive, and I was very happy with mine.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I've cooked on all three and induction wins hands down.

Better heat control both at high and simmer.

The ability to make perfect rice and oatmeal every time.

Clean up is a breeze with just soap and water and sometimes only water.

To contain spatter, all you need to do is put a paper towel under the pot or around it.

Safer for teaching young ones how to cook.

Less fumes in the air.

Heck I would do induction just to save on the time spent cleaning up the stove. Because the stove doesn't get hot, nothing bakes onto the surface if it boils over or if grease spatters.

• rjknsf
    6 years ago

I saw the newest Wolf induction cooktop and I was impressed with its versatility. Specifically, I am speaking of model CI365T/S. I really like the burner layout with the four burners that can be bridged on one side and a larger oval burner on the other side. It offers what seems to be the most flexible layout. There are other induction cooktops with "flexible" zones but they are in a layout that is less versatile, most commonly with a large round hob in the center and the flexible zones on either side.

My building does not have gas so when I upgrade, I will be looking at induction. As of now, I think the Wolf is my favorite but I am a year or two out and something new may change my thinking.

• KD
    6 years ago

@cpartist - no 36” range width from Bosch. I really want the extra space on the cooktop, but a stand-alone cooktop and wall ovens won’t fit sensibly in the space available.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    OP, in our area there is a showroom where you can go cook on each one. That is what I did and it helped make the decision for me. The best way to decide is to use the product.
  • Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I have a 36" Wolf, and I really like it, except for the touch controls. They don't work when your fingers are wet and spills can turn all the elements off or change the settings. Next time it's one with knobs, like the new Bluestar, unless some manufacturer gets smart and puts the touch controls separate from the cooktop.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

" Next time it's one with knobs"

I know the knobs are just a user interface and the controls are still still electronic, but I insisted on knobs for much the same reason as you've discovered (along with some concerns about finger strength and arthritis). Personally, I chose the LG (not Bluestar), but knobs were one of my deciding factors.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

@cpartist - no 36” range width from Bosch. I really want the extra space on the cooktop, but a stand-alone cooktop and wall ovens won’t fit sensibly in the space available.

Understood. Ah well. Only other solution is to put a wall oven under the cooktop and that's a bit of a problem as you're then bending down more.

• KD
    6 years ago

@cpartist Exactly. Plus right now we have a stand-alone horrible range and to replace it with a cooktop/oven combo we’d have to add a cabinet for it, which wouldn’t match the rest of the kitchen. We don’t want to redo the whole kitchen quite yet. (I’m fairly sure if we poke too much we’ll end up having to take it back to studs.)

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

Toronto Veterinarian. I redid mine shortly before the Bluestar came out. I've had poor experiences with LG appliances, so that's a "no way" for me.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

"Toronto Veterinarian. I redid mine shortly before the Bluestar came out. I've had poor experiences with LG appliances, so that's a "no way" for me."

I have no horse in that race (or stock with LG), so I don't much care other than agreeing with your opinions on knobs and ensuring clarity (since I've posted about my LG before).

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville