Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jencaljil

Separate his/hers closet OR larger closet with island?

B Carey
6 years ago

I am either doing a 7*12 plus 5*7 closet with nearby laundry space OR opening up the whole space to include both the W/D in the larger closet space plus a good sized island.

On one hand, I really would love my own closet. On the other hand, having a larger space with a nice dresser island would be really awesome. I am not worried that the W/D would mildew my clothes. There will also be a 2nd W/D for kids/guests in the home. Would love to hear from any of you who have had either of these choices...do you wish you would've gone the other way? Which would you prefer...separate closets or the larger space with a nice island?

Comments (28)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Like suru for the sake of our relationship, we will only have separate closets where the doors can be closed from now on. My clothes are lined up by type, by fabric and by color. My shoes are also lined up by type, style, color, etc.

His are stuck in wherever there's an empty spot and sometimes when there's not an empty spot. Shoe racks? He's never seen one he likes. Button a shirt on a hanger? Too much work for him to unbutton it to get it off the hanger.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL...this is exactly why I thought I would prefer separate closets. I swear I wash DH clothes over and over when he isn't even wearing them! I'm conflicted though as I can't seem to fit a nice island into my closet...but can easily do so by combining spaces!

• Suru
    6 years ago

From what I gather from your post, if you combine the spaces, then you have a closet that is 19' x 7.' My closet in my new build is 12 x 7 and I'm in that house working everyday so I have a really good feel as to how big it will be. I don't think you will have room to put an island in a space that is only 7 feet wide. Maybe the laundry area will add more to the width?

I bought a pretty, but smallish, bench that I'm going to put in middle of the closet so I have a place to sit and put my shoes on or lay clothes out on. Even that might be tight considering I will really only have 5 feet of space considering the hanging clothes take up at least 2' of space on the wall.

Also, cpartist - you cracked me up!

• B Carey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suru-actually, I would be adding the laundry space (roughly 6*7 also). There are a couple ways to configure everything. I think I may end up just adding some square footage to get my dream closet plus a separate laundry and separate his closet. I’m not planning to move for 25+ years, so would rather get it right now. We’ve usually had separate closets, except they have never been big enough. I really don’t want to be like my mom and use a (larger than I’m planning) closet plus several spare bedroom closets. ;)

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I am single but I went for the large closet with w/d. Mine is 17x13’. I really wanted an island too. I guess if I ever end up with someone permanently, we will just deal with sharing. I will put in a closet organizer, which I think will help. I debated the w/d but I work a lot of hours and it would be such a luxury to have close access to the w/d, especially since the new master suite is pretty far from the laundry room.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

rockybird-Wow! A 17*13 closet would be awesome! You must have a nice island AND wide aisles. Ideally I want the W/D just outside the 2 closets. Having the W/D in a large closet would be my 2nd option. I have 3 kids and want to do a W/D on their floor too. Can’t wait to not be hauling laundry on stairs!

• cpartist
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Why not just add to the exterior while you still can? We all tried to cram everything you wanted into your master suite space and it never quite worked out well. Add the extra space and get exactly everything you want. Keeping it to some artificial number just because when you're going to be in a house for 25+ years seems silly as the cost over that time will be minimal.

• Shelby
    6 years ago

I prefer a closet together because I do all of the laundry and don’t like putting away in different places and then I can keep his side organized. Ha I’d also like the washer and dryer inside or very close because I hate laundry and anything that makes it easier is a plus!

• Anne
    6 years ago

I would like one closet with separate areas because I keep his clothes organized and while he can hang clothes, he cannot hang them in an organized matter and let's not talk about folding clothes. I actually enjoy keeping our closet organized.

• Anne
    6 years ago

I meant "manner". I am not a neatnik except when it comes to my kitchen, pantry and closet. I itch if a spice bottle is turned wrong or a jar is not on the correct shelf. My bed can go unmade but do not hang khakis in between suit pants....the world might end. LOL...I know I am a little nuts but it is my thing. Also I hate when DH folds anything....should I be happy he helps? ( He really pulls a ton of weight on the cleaning...he is good with that but don't fold your socks wrong) I might have situational OCD!.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

I am doing a large shared closet (approximately 19x13 which COULD be a 4th bedroom) with a folding and travel counter because hubby travels a lot and having a close, clean, fit surface to be able to easily pack will be a really nice feature. However, the entire closet will be done with freestanding closet units from IKEA and will each have a large sliding door - so any disorganization will be hidden behind the doors. The closet units will have frosted glass doors and at least one mirrored door for a full length dressing mirror. The interior can be fitted in almost infinite configurations.

I'll have 2 "aisles", so that it should feel separate with sharing of the center folding counter. It also contains the safe room / vault, so one corner is taken up with that.

I'd vote for one large because it can be used for multiple purposes - but then again - I am managing the mess by hiding it.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

cp-Yes, I know. I am sort of evaluating everything. I'm also thinking I will go ahead and put the TV above the fireplace and do 2 small sitting chairs in front of the bed instead. So no dresser in the bedroom. I have a bathroom plan that I really like, but it means the closet/laundry space is not accessed through the bathroom (I know everyone here is divided, but I would prefer access through the bathroom).

Shelby-With 3 kids, I discovered that doing loads by person makes putting away much easier! The 5 small piles of socks, shirts, etc is a lot EVERY load. Much prefer 5 total piles that all go away in the same closet! Also, have convinced myself that DH may start doing his own laundry...lol.

Anne-Yes, I have Pinterest visions that my closet will be Hollywood ready at all times. Figure if DH has his own closet, he can climb over his own piles! I already have to keep up with 3 kids rooms/closets.

Jannicone-That sounds like what I was thinking with a combined closet. I would love to see the layout you have planned. I think either will be awesome and way better than I've previously had, just need to decide which I really want!

• ladygibbs
    6 years ago

We are doing SEPARATE reach in closets.

I think walk ins are a waste of space in my house, and we share now and I hate it. lol. He is always encroaching in my area. We are doing highly functional reach ins. With customized shelving, racks, etc. We both get to pick and customize our own for our individual needs. Can't wait!

• Anne
    6 years ago

B Carey...mine really isn't but I try. I have real anxiety about it.....I let serious stuff go. I guess because my work is so intense and emotional.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I think I will be using the IKEA Elvari system with birch counters. It is an open system with drawers. I was at ikea today and I was impressed with it. Much more solid than the Container store systems I saw.

13x17’ sounds big but by the time you add the closets and everything else, it’s not so big. I like how Janniecone’s can double as a bedroom. Great idea!

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

Will the washer and dryer noise get into the bedroom? I would be reluctant to have noise sources that close.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

We prefer to share a walk-in closet. I suggest you contact a closet planner before you make the final decisions about space needed and elements required. I like talking to him while we get dressed. It's a nice space. Plus, I can ride herd on his habits. If we didn't share, there would be things living in his space and other things would disappear never to be seen again. I vote sharing.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

We have had separate reach ins for 33 years until this house where we have a shared 7'6" x15' walkin/ walk through closet bisected by doorways. One door opens to the bath and another to the study (laundry is just steps away through the study -- close enough that it has become our habit just to drop dirties in the laundry). Contrary to some, we very definitely prefer the closet through the bath! It's nice to get up, put on a robe, make the bed and open the blinds first thing before coffee and then not have to go back into the bedroom area to get dressed. Also, instead of having to walk past closets on the way from the bed to the bath, it makes for a much shorter trip for nighttime nature calls. His end is 7'6" x 5' with a dresser and cubbies on one side and couple rods on the other with a bench on the end under a high window and my end is 7'6" x 7' with a single rod on one side, double rods across the back, and dresser on the other side with room for a small chair (still have to put my cubbies up). It's perfect for us.

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    6 years ago

Islands with storage for suitcases are great when one or both spouses travel frequently... if they have similar neatness (or lack thereof).

• rockybird
    6 years ago

My parents have a w/d in their large shared walk in and closet, as does my contractor. They all very much like it. I am adding a set to my walk in closet also.

• Anne
    6 years ago

rockybird....that is so smart to have the w/d there. Wish it is an option for us. My home is pre Civil War with additions and that just would be too difficult to pull off.

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

Separate. I've had both. We had a very large that we put a double sided dresser in the middle of, but I still like our new his/her walkins.

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Separate closets make no sense to me. I do all the laundry /all the putting away ... why would I want to make this job more difficult by going into two closets /finding the odd item that was placed in the wrong spot and walking back and forth between the two? Maybe if they're directly across from one another the job could be minimized, but it'd still be more effort than a single large closet.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Mrs Pete, sometimes if both people work outside the home it would make sense if they each do their own laundry. Then, the answer depends on how they scatter on a tidiness continuum.

• wysmama
    6 years ago
    Separate for sure. We share now and he way too messy for me. It frustrates me every time I look into the closet. Looking forward to having my own separate space
  • Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Mrs Pete, sometimes if both people work outside the home it would make sense if they each do their own laundry. Then, the answer depends on how they scatter on a tidiness continuum.

I work outside the home. He does not. Still, laundry is one of my tasks; he is genuinely awful at laundry -- he does plenty of other things around the house.

Regardless of who does the laundry, dividing laundry doesn't make much sense; having two adults wash lots of small loads isn't efficient in terms of water, energy or time.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Having lived with a house mate for a few years, we did our laundry separately. I don't recall any small loads, at least on my part.