Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrmom999

induction or gas wolf range/sub zero 42” refrigerator

Barbara
6 years ago
I am trying to decide between a gas or induction range. I am thinking about getting a WOLF 36” dual fuel range. Anybody have any advice? What do people think of their WOLF range and any opinions about induction vs gas ranges? I am looking for an easy clean up. I like the look of the gas model but I fear the clean up is tougher. I am also looking for durability. Are these ranges breaking or malfunctioning?
Also any input on the durability of the 42 inch French door sub zero.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
    6 years ago

I'm a fan of induction. People that cook with gas will tell you about how fast it is. Consumer Reports will tell you that Induction broke their all-time speed record for boiling water. Gas is a fireplace running in your kitchen. It can heat the room 5 to 10 degrees if you have several burners running for awhile - putting carbon monoxide and other fun ingredients in the air. In the south, we spend a lot of money running AC to cool our houses in the summer - gas defeats this. Then there's the topic of cleaning. Who likes removing those heavy grates to clean around the gas burners? Induction works by causing the pan to flex, therefore the heat is on TOP of the glass, rather than below it like the red-hot style glass/electrics. This means when you have a boil over, the induction glass is not frying the food like the other style. In fact, you can cook on top of a paper towel! Hope that helps - good luck with your project. Robert

• jt fields
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have never really used gas much so I can't give you a direct comparison, but I can tell you that induction is awesome. I think I've mentioned it before but my wife calls it "voodoo magic" because she doesn't understand how it works, it just seems to magically make your pans instantly hot. We've had ours for a year and our cooktop looks like we got it yesterday because spills do not cook on (unlike a glass electric cooktop.) Clean up is as easy as just wiping up. You've never boiled water so fast.

Search the forums, there are many threads already about gas vs. electric vs. induction. Every type has its pros and cons. The only cons I can think of for induction are the incompatibility of some cookware and the requirement of 40 amps (fortunately my kitchen was already wired for 50 amps but many are not.)