Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodywmcgowan

Basement Insulation Questions

jodywmcgowan
6 years ago

Hi, thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!

We are going to insulate our basement. The main section will then be framed for either sheetrock or some type of board paneling. But it will be difficult to frame my utility room, as there are so many pipes, ductwork, odd angles, etc. But I still want to insulate the utility room and it needs to be a functional, nice working space for my gardening business. Is there a way to leave the insulation "exposed" but covered in a puncture-resistant material? I am trying to find photos on the web to see what some designs would look like, but am not having luck. I want the space to still look somewhat nice and it definitely needs to be functional. Ideas?

Comments (2)

• jodywmcgowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Additional questions/comments:

1. I live in the metro Washington, DC area. Worst winter temps typically in Jan/Feb for 1-2 weeks at a time around 10-15 degrees F with wind chill. Hot, humid summers.

2. Our house is a block and brick home built in the early '60s. Currently basement is unfinished - we can see the concrete block walls. Three (almost) sides of basement under ground, fourth side is walk-out.

3. Currently basement not framed. Understand this needs to be done prior to insulation, along with electrical and any additional plumbing we may need. Correct?

4. Am looking to insulate the walls. First quote is for R-21 faced insulation (Owens Corning). Is this good/too high/low R-value? We have a geothermal HVAC, which heats/cools the basement and 1st floor and it cannot keep up on coldest days (<25 degrees F).

5. Also thinking of insulating ceilings. Sound-proofing would be a nice extra. A good idea? Can see wood sub-floor currently, with copper pipes and HVAC. Quote is for R-30 Owens Corning Batts Insulation. Good or other recommendation?

Thanks so much :-)

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

OwensCorning made some basement insulated / cloth panels but I don't know if that's still around. You really need to cover insulation with some sort of wall surface for fire issues. I did my basement in 3 1/2" batts in the Reston area and it worked OK.

You need to frame the walls prior to insulating because the insulation needs the framing. It's fairly easy to frame a wall inside a block foundation. I had poured concrete, but it's pretty much the same. While it's customary to run the electrical and plumbing first, it's not that big of a deal with batt insulation to do it after.

I've got serious doubts about whoever sized your heat pump (or the drastic lack of insulation above). My geothermal units have no problem keeping up in the single digits.

Fiberglass insulation does little for sound insulation. There are some things you can do (accoustic drywall, special mounting, etc...) that may help but it would depend on what you see as a problem.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21