Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awitte25

ready for living room overhaul but can't get over awkward room. help!

awitte25
6 years ago

We are finally ready for a living room overhaul! I'm still living with some college furniture folks WAY past college. I know what look I would like and even have a few non-furniture things picked out but I can't for the life of me pull the trigger on purchasing anything due to the rooms awkward layout and worried about cohesiveness of design. I hired a professional and it was a terrible experience. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Some things to note - my husband is 6'4" so low to ground things are not good. We love high back items. We also have 3 young boys. Also, for floorplan we use this room more than any room in our house. Openness is important to me (don't like furniture covering every since possible) but we also host all of our families events so this room has a lot to live up to. My husband also unfortunately loves TV, won't move it and need to have "direct" seating. mega eye roll... any help would be majorly appreciated!

1. this is the blueprint of the room. the pillar has been removed but it remain the same other than that. entryway is where the floor says TILE for guests but for us is different.

2. This is the TV wall (top trim added after pic was taken)

3. view from upstairs (I know rug is WAY to small) for reasons noted in following pics I don't like this layout.

4. view from kitchen - I don't like this layout - very closed off feeling and makes the room feel small. TV wall has changed to pic#1 above already. don't like walkway area to left of shown sectional but don't want to block doorway for entry

a better view of it closer - as this was positioned I don' t like the feeling it brings by making the room feel blocked off from kitchen/eating

5.view from formal entryway

6. view of back wall & entry door - ceiling height here is 8ft only below stair catwalk

7. view of fireplace wall

view into kitchen

since these pics I have separated the sectional and have angled one piece by fireplace and the other is against the back wall under the catwalk. It feels better but still doesn't look good. I really would love any input on layout you might have!!!

I would like to do the following:

• paint everything one cohesive color (including kitchen). have also considered painting the trim tv wall Galveston gray and everything else a off-white but open to the reverse with another neutral color.
  • purchase a 10x14 rug, chandelier, all furniture (except tv console)

I think I can pull together the furniture if I have some advice on the layout. Thank you again for any insight you may have!

Comments (13)

• mindyr2003
    6 years ago
    I definitely think gray would be a great color for the walls. I would also get to separate couches with a ottoman in the center.i would get light gray couches with colorful pillows and some throws.
  • ficidv
    6 years ago

Also, thank you for your overhead picture of the rug. We have been going back and forth ourselves about the size of the rug. A designer told us to go with a smaller rug like yours that the furniture just touches the rug but we like the idea of going with a larger one like you've suggested. We want a 12'x15' as it would go beyond the couch and side tables.

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Could you do a thumbnail sketch of the floor plan with all the dimensions? It would be a huge help to all of us. First take overall dimensions of the room. Then start in the corner: Measure corner to window frame> frame to frame> wall> opening. etc. you get the idea. Go all the way around the room and don't leave out any dimensions including the fireplace protrusion into the room.

Rooms with all those entrances and pass throughs are always a challenge. I would love to help.

Also need the sizes of the furniture you are keeping.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here are ideas about rug size and placement. A 3-seat sofa and 2 chairs are the most versatile seating to start with. Does husband prefer sitting in a chair or on a sofa to watch TV? A chaise sofa, rather than a sectional could work for him to stretch out on. It could face the TV with the chaise either side (if you get a reversible chaise that can flip from left to right.) Two chairs (swivels for turning toward TV) can square up the seating by being on the end away from the chaise or they can flank the FP in warm weather .

Lots of leg room on this one.

• awitte25
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will measure the room more accurately tomorrow and post. Thanks again!
  • Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Oh so sorry, I just went back and see that you did post a floor plan!. No need to do it again. I'll take a look at it.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

"I know what look I would like and even have a few non-furniture things picked out"

Please tell/show us : ) .

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Love the color of the walls and that wonderful paneled wall. I agree that the tv is in the right place on the paneled wall. Here is a floor plan which may work for you. Use the space that is not under the catwalk above as the seating area. This way the walk thru will be under the lower ceiling.

Tuck a 87" wide sofa with a chaise end on the right of the fireplace with a console behind. Install wall sconces for lighting at the console instead of lamps. Lose the big lamp (it's ver nice) and use smaller scaled floor lamps. Get a matching 66" loveseat and angle off the sofa. this will create a more open layout and not so boxed off from the kitchen. Add two matching swivel chairs. The coffee table is a 48" diameter with four round ottomans or floor pillows.

The rug is 12 x 15 so that it anchors the furniture and includes the paneled wall and the fireplace into one cohesive area.

Along the staircase wall is 10" deep low cabinet or bookcase up to the ceiling for games, books, etc. Something like an Ikea Pax with frosted doors, simple and functional for storage.

Hope this helps.

• awitte25
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Well, here are some inspiration pics I like.
  • awitte25
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like these furniture pieces too. And don’t want everything tufted leather but would like something in a cognac color and have a light colored main piece. Think I would like a rustic coastal look if that exits. Gravitate towards distressed ticking stripes, geometric patterns and large scale florals that are monochromatic in color but have color if that makes sense.
  • awitte25
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Love this couch & the room!
  • Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Looks like we are on the same page. Beautiful inspiration rooms. The only comment I have is that I feel the arrangement should be closer to the fireplace and on on the area rug. In your particular room, the sofa against the stair wall is awkward both visually and traffic wise. It's cozier pulled together.