Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinetrail

Help! Need advice on landscaping & walkway

pinetrail
10 years ago
We are trying to improve the front entrance and landscaping of our home. We need to have a section of new concrete poured in front of our garage and steps, and we will have our steps repaired, so this would offer the opportunity to change / add a walkway from the driveway to the door. Would this be a good idea? If so, what shape of path? Should we consider stamped concrete? We want to remove the pine bush in front of the porch, but keep the bushes in front of the large bow window as we like the privacy they offer. We want to add flowers, but we don't know where (near the road or near the door or both?). Looking for affordable ideas and concepts that would match the style of our house. BTW, would the door look nice in a brick red colour or should we keep it green to match the garage door, shutters and roof?

Comments (18)

• Judy M
    10 years ago
    Your nice house is hidden by a yard full of overgrown shrubs.

Removal and a re-do might be best.

If budget is an issue, a hard cut back of everything (usually done late winter/early spring) could be considered.

Hard to suggest what to replace with until you have a clean slate.
  • andybgb
    10 years ago
    Yes, i would remove the shrub in front of your door, and trim back the window plants to frame the window rather than obscure it. The area in front of door is kind of threadbare, and more so if you remove shrub, so maybe some biggish stones and some low level, alpine/moss type plantings. Not sure of climate/location. Id be tempted to paint door shutters white, but i realize that would be a pain to do with the shutters.
  • mianicoleryder
    10 years ago
    A good landscaper can assist greatly. Most will provide a sketch of ideas for free.
    I'd remove the pine bush from blocking the front door and trim everything that's overgrown.
    A curved driveway with pavers would be nice. A red or burgundy door would add warmth and contrast.
    All the best : )
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    can you pls advise what is the style of your very nice home.
  • pinetrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No clue - house built in circa 1969. Suburban ranch?
  • Andrea Gardner Apatow
    10 years ago
    Please consider a clean line front path out to the street- steps grouped together with possible wing wall and column light. Link in driveway closer to front door with secondary path- possibly grid out with ground cover between. All means brighten up front door color. Frequently the entry is the most attractive architectural element of a house facade. If not, make it so. Don't worry about flowers now. Concentrate on hardscape and removing heavy foliage. If budget allows, contrast house with brick or colored concrete and brick accents. Possibly sandblast existing brick of facade? Create interest, dimension and charm. Best of luck.... FYI I'm a landscape architect.
  • pinetrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Like the idea about colour contrasting and about ground cover between secondary path. We actually really like our brick - it is white glazed red brick (you cannot see this detail in the photos). fyi, you should never sandblast brick - I am a preservationist.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I've found a home similar to yours. It took quite a bit of research but here it is!
    How does the landscaping appeal to you?
  • pinetrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much for finding this house! I appreciate your research. I like the steps and walkway, but I have to say, I find the landscaping a little drab and conservative. Perhaps there simply needs some colour. Any comments?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    You're welcome. You're right, it lacks that special something. Pizzazz!!
    I'll keep searching.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Colonial Revival · More Info

there's more detail in this pic as the walk way has been landscaped
    2 large urns at the Front with colorful flowers
    most of the pics I looked at are similarly landscaped as the photo I posted above with the exception that the plants were more fully grown i.e. bushier
    i hope this helps
    pic submit for inspiration
  • pinetrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is very helpful, thank you so much! I like the plants at the front near the street, then lawn, then flower beds and containers on the sides closer to the door - I was wondering about the suitability of a flower garden near the street, so this gives me some clues. Have a great weekend!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    Nice house obscured by overgrown shrubs. Where's the entrance ?
  • pinetrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unsure if this was in gest or a real question . . . the entrance is in the middle, to the left of the garage. The close-up shows the door.
  • PRO
    Curb Appeal Fixers Landscaping
    10 years ago
    Open up your landscape.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    Not in jest, pinetrail, really couldn't tell if it was a window or door. If you were my client the first thing I would recommend is to begin with a clean slate - get rid of everything and then as JudyG above said suggestions can be made.
  • terryberry67
    8 years ago

I would get rid of all of the overgrown bushes/shrubs. You have a nice home and it's masking that. I would paint the front door red.