Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

Hey Ya'll Wedding Guest Dress Opinions

MagdalenaLee
6 years ago

I've been MIA for a very long time. However, this is the place I think of when needing fashion advise, so here I am!

My niece is getting married in March. The wedding and reception will be at a ranch in Central Texas. Midafternoon. It will be a fairly large affair with lots of bells and whistles and I'm sure guests will be dressed in all kinds of inappropriate ways! There will no doubt be jeans and t-shirts and prom dresses. I'd like to dress midway between the two. So my idea is to wear a pretty dress with a jean jacket. I need my arms covered, so that would also allow me to wear a sleeveless dress. Below is what I have in mind (I photoshopped the image). I already own the dress, but not commited to it. So does this look silly?

Comments (53)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think FUN is right. I don't love the concept but can definitely see it working as in maybe one or two of the images above. I think the one with a printed dress look better than a solid dress and I think your dress is beautiful but does not work nicely with the jacket.

Editing to add- nice to see your familiar name!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Welcome back!!!!

i think the denim looks too heavy and stiff, even with the more casual examples.

Might I suggest you look into chambray? It will give you the denim look, but softer.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

I can definitely see it working but I agree that the layers on the dress seem to fight with the jacket somehow. I think the jacket might be a little long, so it’s fighting with that first flounce. Do you have access to a more cropped jacket to try? I also might like to see more contrast between the dress colour and the jacket color.

Because I am a chicken I would probably bring a cardigan or pashmina just in case I felt the need to ditch the jean jacket and go a little more upscale depending on what the other guests are wearing. That said, at my wedding, certainly some of my relatives showed up in jeans and shorts – – and this was a winter wedding at a museum. I didn’t care as long as everyone was having a great time.

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m stuck on the jean jacket idea. The pics of the looks Oly shared look spectacular IMO. Thats the look I’m going for. I’m glad I asked because I wasn’t sure about that dress and DH loved the look which had me even more undecided. I’m having a hard time finding a colorful print. What about this one? Also my jacket is shorter and lighter than the one above I’ll see if I can find a pic of it

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is my jacket:

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Welcome back!

I like the dress and the necklace but not the jacket with it. I might like a pashmina or a white denim or lighter weight jacket a bit more, but the blues seem to compete. A print dress that can carry the denim off would work better.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I agree with outside. I like the idea but how about a colored or white jean jacket? Still fun but less yee-haw than a denim jacket.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

Well it is a ranch wedding in Texas so I get the yee-haw!

I think your jacket would look nicer with your dress than the one you have Photoshopped.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

This might be a cultural location thing and I am on the east coast, but jean jackets are out of style in my area. I wish it weren't true, as I have at least a dozen, but I can't see a jean jacket and dress anymore without seeing what I wore constantly 20 years ago.

• Bestyears
    6 years ago

I like the jacket but how do you run, hot or cold? It seems like I'm always hot. I live in Texas and there is no way I would be comfortable outside in a jean jacket. It'll probably be in the 80s, but it will be muggy. Just depends on your comfort level in different temps. But it might not be a terrible idea to have a light scarf/shawl thingy you could drape around your arms if you did get too hot.

• rubyclaire
    6 years ago

I like your jacket and think it will be great with the right dress. I think the original dress is somewhat problematic because of the layers but it may look better in real life. Your second dress choice is cute but I would like to see more contrast between the jacket and dress. That is probably why I like all of the looks Oly shared but for the blue on blue option. Look forward to seeing what you end up choosing!

• Bunny
    6 years ago

It will give you the demon look, but softer.

Photo examples please. :)

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Haha that's that is what I get for not proofing! Heading up to do just that.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

The first image that popped into my head, before I looked at your photo, was denim jacket, blingy necklace, and maybe a lacey dress. I don't think the dress you're showing works with the jacket. I'm thinking "Sundance Catalog" look.

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/carefree+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/sheena+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/sweetheart+lace+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2&refType=

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, the green dress is a no go with the jacket. It’s very pretty by itself, but sleeveless so that won’t work for me. Sheer sleeves, wrap or pashmina isn’t enough coverage. I have nice shoulders but I’m not showing my arms for anything! The blue dress might go well with white denim? I agree, there needs to be more contrast. I just can’t find a colorful dress that I like.

Yee-haw is exactly how I would describe this wedding! The bride and groom are going for rustic chic and I’m guessing at least half of the wedding guests will be in some form of denim. I love the juxtaposition of the denim with a beautiful dress.

Bumble, look again, jean jackets are au courant. Read this article from The Guardian: It's in the jeans: "why the denim jacket is 2018's new power dressing"

March is tricky in Central Texas, could be cool, could be blazing hot. I tend to run cold these days, so I think I might be okay. I have a backup plan of wearing a loose silk blouse with cigar pants if necessary. Not as dressy as I want to be but it will work.

Sue, the blue fern dress I posted is from Sundance Catalog! I’m into the boho look as well, so that’s the type of dress I prefer. However, the dresses you linked are too short I think.

• deegw
    6 years ago

Soft surroundings has lots of nice, flowy dresses. I think this one would be great for a ranch wedding (if you have the height to pull off a maxi). The belt makes the outfit. Not sure if it is included.

Soft Surroundings

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Lol, I am out of it! I still can't dust off those jean jackets yet, the second time around thing is difficult!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I think the butterfly dress would go great with the jeans jacket. Wear a chunky bracelet and you're good to go.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I like the concept and I see what you are going for but the jacket does not work with that dress. One or the other has to change. I like the floral, flowing dresses others have posted. I wonder how your dress would look with a belt? I think the jacket needs a dress with a waistline.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Welcome back!

I think that’s a cute look for a ranch wedding.

I’m wearing this to a wedding in February, with a black cardigan and heels...

• User
    6 years ago

It's a great look, and your jacket is perfect for it, not as casual as a Levi's jacket, but not a dorky one embroidered a la Northern Reflections (mom style mall store here in the northeast). Jean jackets, specifically vintage or vintage look Levi's jackets are all over colleges in the northeast, and stores like H&M and Forever 21 sell Levi's knockoffs, so yep, they are back for sure.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

I’m in Texas and I always love outdoor weddings with a rustic or western theme because I get to wear my cowboy boots with a boho dress. I don’t get to wear my real cowboy boots much anymore.

Here’s another from Sundance that would be really cute with boots or not. And I think your jacket would work well.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

One more, apologies if already suggested. This one would be darling with boots and denim.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

Magdalena, your jacket is perfect! It’s the juxtaposition of the real denim with the feminine dress that makes the look authentic. Y’all non-Texans are just going to have to trust that it’s a regional thing and very cute when done well. No one would have worn it to jojo’s wedding but it will be perfect for central Texas.

Just for reference, I have slopped a few hogs and the proper attire for that is rubber boots and coveralls.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I’m going to Austin in March and wishing I had a jean jacket right now!

• User
    6 years ago

Sueb20, H&M had some cute and cheap ones over the holidays, maybe $30 or so, IIRC, faded, distressed, 100% cotton, Levi's wannabe look. Not bad at all for the money. Garnet Hill has a nice one too but it ain't even close to $30, more like put a "1" in front of "30"....

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I looked at SS and nothing spoke to me. The butterfly dress would be sweet but I can’t find it anywhere. I did find the first one Oly posted but not in my size. I would be willing to wear a belt if the dress was right.

Kitch, those are cute!

Lake, thanks. I’m in a college town and I’ve gone back to school, so I’m hangin’ with the kids these days. I’m glad for the cooler weather so I don’t have to see butt cheeks hanging out of the bottom of barely-there shorts! If their parents only knew . . .

Cat, I’m considering wearing my cowboy boots! I do like the black dress but I was thinking I wanted something more Spring-like. The next one you posted is very cute, just not my colors. Slopping hogs. Geez.

Sue, whatcha doing in Austin? I'm about 30 min South of Austin. The weather should be perfect in March.

I’m still on the hunt. So far the blue fern dress from Sundance is the only one that I’m considering. Luckily I have some time.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Have you looked at JJill?

I can see this dress with boots and your lovely denim jacket.

or this:

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Magda — just a long weekend with girlfriends! Can’t wait! They have both been to Austin, but I haven’t.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I love the boho dress + jean jacket look and I think the sundance style is perfect for it (and cowboy boots)... of course, you need to find the one that speaks to you. That's part of a boho look. It is an expression of your artistic style..

I agree with Sue that a lace dress would be great--- but I also agree with you, Magdalena, I think it needs to be longer.

I saw that butterfly dress somewhere recently. Maybe Nordstrom? I'll see if I can find it.

I happen to love the photo of the first jjill dress.. so much so that I bought it for a wedding rehearsal dinner. Unfortunately, I was very very disappointed in it. The design is muddy and the colors just aren't nice. I will be returning it.

I have a few things to do this evening but since you said you like the butterflies, I'll try to find where I saw it.

(and so glad to see you back!)

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cindy, sadly, none of those really do it for me. Same for the Jill Bonnie. Man, I had no idea I was so picky! Funky, knock yourself out! I looked forever for the butterfly dress.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

I have no idea what you should wear, but every time I see "pashmina", I think of this clip from Jeanne Robertson. Also, I have a denim jacket that I was going to put in the donation pile. Apparently it is worth a mint!

Men Don't Know the Style in NYC

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

Yeah. I am not finding it. I haven't shopped much lately so you'd think it would be easy. The dress CindyMac shared does look to be the dress in the photo-- but I think the one I saw was a vneck or a wrap. Same print.. different style. I also remember thinking it was out of character for the designer. I know that doesn't help lol..

Spring dresses are coming out now-- I am sure you'll find something you love!

• amyktexas
    6 years ago

You might check ModCloth. They have a store in Austin, I keep meaning to visit because their clothes look really cool.

• User
    6 years ago

I just received the new Peruvian Connection catalog, several options there, first one is $99 (w/o jacket) not bad, second dress, ouch, $279. I find their stuff runs large, I'm usually a L or XL, in PC stuff, I'm a medium.

http://www.peruvianconnection.com/product/711562-fleur+de+chine+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks

http://www.peruvianconnection.com/product/448412-pima+cotton+aymara+dress.do?sortby=ourPicks

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

I love the look you describe!

More important, hi!!! We have missed you. How is the house thing going. Weren't you d/s and thinking of bldg?

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Does it have to be floral and flounce to blend? I'm asking because I couldn't pull that off. Ralph Lauren has some great sales. If you get on the site there's a code for additional money off.

A crop jean jacket and silver jewelry with this ?

There a cute jacket on anthropologie to go with.

• jill302
    6 years ago

A friend of mine’s son was recently married at a ranch in a National Park. She went for a similiar look. Her dress was almost identical to the Sundance Sheena dress linked above, but a solid color. The dress was worn with her jean jacket and cowboy boots with embroidery. It was the perfect outfit for the day and the new pieces have continued to be worn since the wedding, which is more than you can say for most mother-of-the-groom dresses.

• User
    6 years ago

I think some of those antrhopologie dresses- might work----particularly that beaded wrap dress is gorgeous. I also stopped right away at modcloth black embroidery overlay one above

• rubyclaire
    6 years ago

Love the dresses dyhgarden shared - the tulip dress and beaded wrap are particularly nice!

• smhinnb
    6 years ago

That tulip dress is gorgeous - with the added benefit of covering your arms! I also like the beaded wrap dress. The Anthropologie printed butterfly dress is - for me - just ok, I like the print, but I really dislike high/low dresses.

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for finding the butterfly dress Cindy!

Funky, maybe you saw the dress from Anthro? It’s kind of similar? Yeah, I’m kind of thinking I need to wait to pull the trigger until I see some new spring dresses.

Amy, that mod cloth dress is so pretty, but a little too short for my liking.

Bonnie, I think that dress is a little different? And I’m not sure about a dress that’s only $22! I can’t imagine that it’s made with even a little bit of quality.

Oh Lake, I totally forgot about Peruvian Conn. Love the dress with the bold stripes. I’m putting that one in my maybe file.

Thanks Mtn! The house is doing well. It’s a semi-custom and we moved in about 10 months ago - how time flies! We’re really pleased with it and the house/property are much smaller and more manageable with time and money. Plus, I’ve gone back to school which, so far, is and absolute blast. Wish I had done this long ago!

Just, no doesn’t have to be floral. Those dresses are much too short. I’m really going for midi to maxi. I’m 5’7” so maxi dresses look pretty good on me and I’m not interested in showing too much leg.

Sue, yes maybe too casual and too short.

Jill, that’s kind of what I want - something that’s a hint of dressy but can be worn casually as well.

dyh - UO is tough! Very young and very skinny girl dresses! I wish! I don’t know how I missed the Anthro dresses. The beaded wrap and the butterfly are perfect! I think the tulips are just too big of a print and too busy for anything but a waif. Love Free People but nothing is speaking to me.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I just had a look on Revolve which was maybe not the best place to look for Maxi's. Most everything had a very low neckline. Also, I'm confused...on some of the dresses it wasn't clear on if the model just stuck her leg way out of the dress as a pose or if the dress was always cut that way. Anyway, I feel your pain.

I love this dress (below) I wonder if it's really cut that high in the leg or if she has buttons or something undone.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Yes, it is a different dress. That's what happens when I'm looking at dresses on my phone while on a bus to work! Do agree about quality at $22, however the elusive butterfly dress that Cindymac posted is only $11.67!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm