Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_bazak

soundproofing basement ceiling between bedrooms on a budget

Holly Bazak
6 years ago
We're putting in a bedroom in our currently unfinished basement, directly below an existing bedroom. We'd like to soundproof a bit but can't afford much. The upstairs room is the nursery and basement room is for the toddler, so I want ambient noise of screaming playing toddler in his room to be blocked while baby is napping upstairs. Blocking physical noise would be nice but is less of a priority.

The floor joists are 16" apart and 12" deep. If using fiberglass insulation, do we have to fill the entire space, or will just a few inches make a difference? or would a second layer of drywall make more impact?

The basement room is about 11'x13'.

Comments (16)

• worthy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Fiberglass--with drywall or without--hardly makes a difference at all in airborne or impact sound transfer.

Carpeting and underpad greatly reduce impact sound (IIC). Combine them with drywall on resilient channels. Or, better yet, Green Glue on the ceiling below. A second layer of drywall on Green Glue or the whole thing on Green Clips better yet.

However, unless the space around the basement room is also treated, "flanking sounds" from above will short-circuit your precautions.

• Holly Bazak
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm mostly concerned about the sound travelling upstairs from the basement room. what's the best approach for that?
  • PRO
    Inspect It Rite
    6 years ago
    There is no easy way. Noise travels in so many ways. The best would be whisper clips, channel, Sheetrock, green glue then Sheetrock. Between the floor joists put R13 X2 denim insulation.
    You can go to trademarksoundproofing.com for more information. It’s not my web site but I sent everyone there.
  • Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    We just sound proofed a room in our basement ourselves. We used the Roxul 16” product, they sell it at Lowe’s. It’s precut to fit in 16” cavities and was super easy to install—took us an hour or so! This room took 3 bags.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Holly like others said, if you do it on the budget you will end up muffling the sound and most likely not be satisfied with the results.

If the noise is a real concern look into a soundproofing system and a company who install this systems (most sheetrock companies specialize in that) it will cost a little more but you will get the result you want.

Good luck with your new house!

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    The room we just completed is pretty soundproof. It’s my husband’s sleep room (He sometimes works overnight as a physician, his hours are pretty crazy). Unfortunately not everyone can afford custom sound proofing. For $150, this was a great solution for us.
  • dbrad
    6 years ago

I don't understand why every sound proofing topic in here has to turn so expensive. We also used Roxul's mineral wool product (Roxul AFB) and so far it seems to have worked great. We didn't have any ultra sensitive areas (just trying to isolate powder room noises, separate bedrooms who share a wall, cut down family room TV noise, etc) so the Roxul AFb is all we did. Had we some more sensitive areas though, an extra layer of drywall with green glue between them would have been my choice.

Since you're not that concerned with impact noises from above, I'd do the following (in this order):

- air-seal every hole between the spaces with caulk (all around hvac penetrations, electrical/plumbing penetrations, etc)

- Fill those floor joist cavities with Roxul Safe-n-Sound or AFB

- Double layers of 5/8" drywall on the ceiling with plenty of Green Glue between them (lots of videos on youtube).

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    Not everyone here is building a high end theater room. Some of us just want to muffle some noise!
  • dbrad
    6 years ago

I understand the concept just fine. But when someone asks, "We'd like to soundproof a bit but can't afford much," (Holly's words) the answer so often from this forum is a full-blown soundproofing recommendation when it just isn't necessary.

Some sound attenuation filling and an extra layer of drywall will do wonders for most people's needs. If they want to acoustically separate a home theater, that's one thing, but that's not what was requested here.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

That's fine if that's the road they want to take, they don't need a double layer of sheetrock that would be a waste of money, they should use something like QuietRock 530 RF which is high-performance sound damping sheetrock.

There're soundproofing systems which don't have to cost too much money, just have to be done the right way and by the company who specialize in that. Yes, it will cost a little extra, but you can spend just as much money stuffing you ceiling cavity with all kinds of stuff and a bunch of layers of sheetrock and get nothing out of it.

• dbrad
    6 years ago

Check the AVS Forums site - they have the details there about how well a double layer of drywall performs with green glue. No need to call a pro soundproofing guy for needs like mine, Briana's, and the original poster's.

• worthy
    6 years ago

The documented reduction in STC of stuffing 6" of fg in the ceiling is a magnificent 1. I've yet to find a documented report on Roxul; I used it once to no discernible effect.

Greenglue and Quiet Rock or its competitors are a huge step up that most homeowners don't want to take.

• PRO
    Inspect It Rite
    6 years ago
    Morning y’all,
    Ok, I see everyone is all over with this topic. From where I come from when someone says soundproof, they think they can get it 110% soundproof no problem but when it’s not, they think the installer did a piss poor job so I like to educate people on what noise actually is so when it comes to making a choice, they know that it’s not going to be 110% unless they spend the big money.
    There are many many ways to stop noise, easiest as someone said is headphones or earplugs, heck get a noise maker to drown out the noise.
  • Olia Savintseva
    6 years ago

Hi all, it looks like all soundproofing tips are focused on putting some additional insulation/soundproofing in the ceiling. We actually have a similar setup (a nursery upstairs and a guest bedroom downstairs). But the sound travels through the air vent. Our guests can hear even whisper in our nursery. The question is how to minimize the sound travelling through the air vents. I'll appreciate your advice.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Ольга, you can reduce sound by insulating the ducts, they usually line the ductwork with insulation on the inside. If you take a look at This Website, they have materials to do that, but most likely you will need HVAC company to do the work and doing that in the existing house can be costly.

Good luck