Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
essel4321

To “waterfall” or not?

S L
6 years ago
I designed this kitchen without thoughts of putting a waterfall island. But now I have the option.
The pros are - I love the clean look. It’s what you see when you come into my house.

The cons -
1) it would be closing in the island on both ends (other side has drawers - see picture)

2) you wouldn’t see the pretty color contrast of the island from that side of the kitchen.

3) is it too modern for my kitchen?
I have white shaker cabinets. White/grey quartz countertop and grey blue island.
The rest of my house is mid-century modern.

Thanks for any advice!
Excuse the mess in the pictures.

Comments (17)

• User
    6 years ago

I would not in this kitchen.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    I’m in the ‘go for it’ camp as it cleans up the look of your island which will harmonize w your mid century modern vibe.
    PH Tribeca · More Info
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Just make sure you have electrical planned out. Zoom in on this image and you will see it’s on the underside. Nothing worse than a waterfall side with an outlet in it.
    Pacific Heights Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

Waterfall islands are nice but they are not the be-all-end-all. I think you need a soffit above your upper cabinets more than anything. Is there a reason you want that gap above the upper cabinets? I hope everything comes out exactly the way you want, good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

You're not getting a slab long enough to waterfall with vein/movement match.

• twogoldensandawestie
    6 years ago
    We recently remodeled our kitchen and included a waterfall feature. Ours is granite but quartz would look even better! I think you still have time to make the change, as long as you haven’t ordered your countertop yet.
  • mom2hsm
    6 years ago

you said it yourself... the waterfall will take away from your differently colored island and make the kitchen look more white. Your color palette is really pretty--my vote would be no on the the waterfall...

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Twogoldensandawestie that turned out really nice!
  • annmarie2
    6 years ago

The outlets issue raised by thinkdesignlive is important. Most building inspectors will enforce outlet requirements, or you risk not getting sign off. And trying to put outlets into waterfall sides can detract from the aesthetic (and is very difficult if not thought through at template stage).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I too am wondering why the space above the cabinets. As for the waterfall I love the look but they do hinder stool movement and take asome beating from feet too, plus having the underside polished too is expensive.

• S L
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your replies. The space above is for molding. It’s going up to the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    6 years ago

We like the waterfall look in certain kitchens, but your kitchen will look great without it.

Chelsea Loft: Kitchen · More Info

• Rose213 Gl
    3 years ago

Hello everyone. I have the same question. Do you suggest to go for it?

• E. Hendricks
    3 years ago

What did you end up doing? Also, are your floors installed under your cabinets?

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Would not. Trend. Would not add to aesthetics or value of your kitchen.

• Sue54321 ABC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I did not and really like the practicality of the outlets on the side of my island for the stand mixer and for the lights on the mini Xmas tree.

Also, although my kitchen design started clean and understated, that changed after I was unable to find anyone local willing to take the liability of putting a handle on a full sized cabinet single door fridge and freezer and so got appliances with factory stainless doors instead. Then the bar stools to come will add more detail. I'm glad I didn't waterfall the island because there are too many focal points already, I don't need another.