Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell66

Sun Room Help - Paint and Decor

Bluebell66
6 years ago

We are painting our sun room soon and I can't decide on a color. We don't have that much wall space to paint, but I don't want to choose a color that will bring out the pink in the floor tile. I am also working on finding pillows and such for the furniture, and I know I should typically choose those things first, however, I frequently change out pillows with the seasons, so the color on the walls will need to be neutral enough to go with everything. Does that leave me with just white?

The ceiling is currently a white washed look that leans pretty pink, so that is going to be painted white when we paint the walls.

I'm open to any other suggestions about the room, too, except the furniture is staying - we love the turquoise couch. The chairs are sort of a natural linen color. The cat tree in the corner is staying. We use this room - it isn't going into a magazine. ;)

Also, I am considering replacing the tall white cabinet with a console-style weathered wood cabinet that we have in another room. I usually have a plant or something seasonal on top of it next to the vintage bird cage. Additionally considering some woven rollup shades to give us a little privacy from the neighbor next door as we frequently hang out here at night.

Thanks!

Sun Room · More Info

Sun Room · More Info

Sun Room · More Info

Sun Room · More Info

Comments (29)

• amykath
    6 years ago

Lovely room! Would you consider a large area rug? You mention the pink in your tiles. You can always warm that up with a rug.

Are there any colors you had in mind for the walls? I am thinking a lighter buttery yellow would look great.

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    6 years ago
    As there is not a lot of wall space and you are keeping your furniture, what about painting the walls a shade the color of your couch? I think it would look nice. It is a beautiful room!
    Bluebell66 thanked SJS Interiors
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you aktillery and SJS.

We would definitely consider a large area rug! I just haven't found one yet that I love. We were looking at a light, buttery yellow - BM Windham Cream and Weston Flax made the short list - but I'm not sure how good that would look next to our Bleeker Beige kitchen. Repainting the kitchen is down a little lower on our priority list, so we'll be living with the beige for a while longer.

I suggested to my husband that we find a color similar to our couch, but he's having trouble envisioning it. I will get out my paint swatches and see what I can find.

I was also considering at colors like SW Neutral Ground or Canvas Tan, but I think they may be a little "blah" looking, especially next to our Bleeker Beige kitchen.

• trinityequine
    6 years ago

Suggest a neutral to warm, soft grey. It will look great with white trim and coordinate nicely with the sofa and chairs. Put a big indoor/outdoor area rug down and you'll barely even notice the floor tiles. The options for indoor/outdoor rugs are amazing these days. Question- what type of windows do you have? Can the glass come out entirely leaving only screen or are they crank opens or slide open? Asking as we are currently getting quotes for building a 3 season room off our deck and the windows are the biggest dilemma. Thanks!

Bluebell66 thanked trinityequine
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Trinity, thanks for the suggestion. I considered a few greys, however, we live where we have hardly any sun in the winter and I don't want the room to feel cold October through March. Where I typically sit on the couch, I'm staring at the largest swath of color in the room. Plus I'm not so sure it'll look good with the Bleeker Beige in the kitchen. I do think it would look good with the furniture, though!

We do have a large indoor/outdoor rug we can play with, so we will give that a go.

Our windows are casement - they crank out and the screens are on the inside. I take the screens out in the winter so we have more light coming into the space. It's amazing how much light the screens cut down on. Some of the windows, maybe a quarter of them, don't have screens and don't crank at all. The glass doesn't come out of any of the windows - it only cranks outward. I hope that is helpful. This is the first sunroom we've had, and it was what sold us on the house. We love it!

• trinityequine
    6 years ago

Thank you for the info! Your sunroom is beautiful... be sure to post "after" pics! :)

Bluebell66 thanked trinityequine
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Trinity, I just thought of something that may be helpful.....we had new windows put into a 1-season room at our old house. It is basically like the space I posted above, but was added to the side of our house (before we moved in) and it had no heat so we could only use it May - Aug or Sept. The windows we put in slid right and left, as did the screens, and could also tip into the house (or remove from their track altogether) so we could easily clean the outside of them. With casement windows like we have now, we have to go outside to clean the outside of the windows. I prefer to clean from inside.

• trinityequine
    6 years ago

Thank you, Bluebell for the extra info. I will definitely try to find windows like that as I also would like to clean from the inside. :)

• beso2013
    6 years ago
    Hi, your sunroom is shaped a lot like mine so I thought you might like to see the gray in it. Mine is a work in progress as well. Next thing to go is replace the ceiling fan with a prettier one. I have a problem because my sunroom is connected to my family room like one huge area so I have trouble splitting the two living areas. Anyway..I did ours in SW mindful gray and I have loved it. It doesn't feel that dark and sometimes even takes on a slight sage green tint to it. Since they were so similar in shape thought it might give you an idea of what a gray would be like in there :)
    Bluebell66 thanked beso2013
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Beso! That is helpful to see the grey. Your room looks great. I like that just about any accent color goes with your grey - seems to be a really nice neutral.

• beso2013
    6 years ago
    You're welcome. I do like gray. Since it's basically one big room I painted the family room that as well and the kitchen SW svelte green which is a medium sage green. Now if I could just figure out about windows. I really like the bamboo roll up shades but they don't offer much privacy and the blackout bamboo ones for so many windows are kinda out of my budget right now. So for now they are blank. Good luck with your sunroom. I'm sure it will be great. It's already beautiful now :)
    Bluebell66 thanked beso2013
  • DYH
    6 years ago

I love the space and your furniture!

I painted my sunroom white (the original owner had it yellow). It frees up using any color against it -- and, in your case, it won't distract from your great view. (I don't have a great view).

Rather than add color to your walls, where you feel there's conflict with your kitchen, have you considered painting your ceiling in a paler shade of your sofa? I'm a huge fan of SW Tidewater (and have it on many ceilings). Think reflecting water.

Your sofa is a color that can work with so many other colors for changing up your accents, according to the season.

Bluebell66 thanked DYH
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I like it the way it is! Add a large, custom-sized seagrass rug (not sisal or jute!) and some pillows for those chairs in particular. It's a very pleasant room.

Bluebell66 thanked Anglophilia
  • lisaam
    6 years ago

Do you live in a climate where the warmth of the current yellow is a plus? If so, I'd suggest a softer shade of yellow. If you don't mind cooler colors in there I'd do the ceiling in a super pale turquoise and the walls in a similar color as the chairs.

Bluebell66 thanked lisaam
  • roarah
    6 years ago

May be a spa blu with the lovely sofa! Pretty space I could live in the room as it is!

Bluebell66 thanked roarah
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

dhygarden, I love the idea of a color on ceiling! I'll look into potential colors.

Lisaam, The current chartreuse-like color isn't doing anything for us. A light yellow would feel warmer in the winter and probably fine in the summer. We have so little wall space, that a warm color is fine, but we could get away with a little cooler color, too.

Thanks, Anglo! I don't know that I've ever seen a sea grass rug in person so I'll have to look into that. The only thing I would worry about is whether or not it's cat friendly - we have cats who occasionally have hairballs!

Thanks to you, too, Roarah! I could very easily live with a spa blue color. I love blues and greens.

• User
    6 years ago

I'm prob odd one out here but I'd paint it the same white as the ceiling and trim. It's a fantastic room with those windows and vaulted ceiling but the paint is cutting it in half...or maybe thirds?... lol. Color calls too much attention to the shapes it creates....a triangle at one end and a border running around the room on the other wall(s). Visually, it seems heavy looking and really brings down the ceiling height. I'd go crazy with a myriad of bright, fun colors in art, furn, pillows, accessories, plants against the white background and keep the focus at eye level...not up high where the paint lives. It will also be a lot less busy if you put up blinds.

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've wondered that, Jama7, if it's extra busy looking with the color. But I found this room on Houzz and like the darker green paint - not that I want to go that strong with color. Our room is wider and has a sliding door to the deck on the right side that limits furniture placement but otherwise it's a similar room and I think the color looks great. Their white furniture does help keep things calm, though, whereas we have the turquoise couch to contend with.

Plantation Sunroom · More Info

• Carrie B
    6 years ago

I like the idea of a warm creamy color. Something like this, maybe. It would look nice with your sofa.

• User
    6 years ago

Bluebell66 That rooms peak/shape is a bit different/looks higher but I'm just not crazy about those little strips of color running around the room at ceiling height like a 1980's border...gets kind of race tracky. :) Anyways....it's your sunroom and you need to love it so do what makes you happy.

I will mention I have woven blinds that I've bought now for probably 9 yrs...in 3 homes; they're the Tuscan woven blinds from Overstock. Super look, cheap and avail in just about ANY width which I've never seen before. My sunroom has 20ish" wide windows next to the door...they even come in that width. They also come in a few diff lengths. You have a LOT of windows and these won't break the bank. Very designer look, operates well. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Arlo-Blinds-Tuscan-Bamboo-Roman-Shade-with-54-Inch-Height/3705856/product.html?refccid=CUA67T3QAIBYQGSACT5HOOAYLU&searchidx=0&kwds=&rfmt=

At one time I was going to get an indoor/outdoor seagrass look rug for our sunroom and ordered samples....couldn't believe they weren't the real thing which I've had. I changed my mind on a rug but if you think you'd like a gorgeous and durable seagrass look, I'll look for the company name.

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I had a thought similar to Carrie.

Your husband probably maybe might not go for this pretty color.

But, what about something like this shade?

You mentioned you did not want a color that would bring out the pink-ish in the floor. So, I would do a color that would blend it. It can be slightly off. Then, let your very cool sofa color pop.

Accessories

Bluebell66 thanked just_terrilynn
  • DYH
    6 years ago

This is (as we call it in the South) Haint Blue. It's used for many porches/sunrooms. I've had many homes with this color porch ceiling. Wasps won't build nests on the blue ceiling.

Bluebell66 thanked DYH
  • User
    6 years ago

I think white walls and that lovely blue ceiling pictured above would be stunning. Color but with a beautiful, airy, skylike effect. Annnnd....no wasps!

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • trinityequine
    6 years ago
    Wow. I’m loving those creamy walls with the soft blue ceiling. Never could have envisioned it could be so beautiful. And the black metal accents tie it together. Lovely
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dyhgarden, I love that space! I am ready to go with a creamy white wall and haint blue ceiling! Thanks!

• PRO
    Uccello Development, LLC
    6 years ago
    How about a nice pale gray maybe Whitestone by Benjamin Moore, or if you’d like to bridge the gap between beige and gray maybe Revere Pewter also by Benjamin Moore. In conjunction with a large area rug you will be able to tone done the pink considerably.
    Bluebell66 thanked Uccello Development, LLC
  • lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

No gray, I like Dyhgarden's suggestions.

Bluebell66 thanked lovemrmewey
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I have a Haint Blue ceiling on my sunporch beadboard ceiling and I adore it! I didn't suggest it since your sofa is already a rich blue - might or might not work.

DD, with the seagrass rug, has 3 cats. She has a big seagrass rug in the LR, Sisal under a small oriental in the study, and amazingly has had a bound sisal runner on her stairway now for 19 years and all look amazing. At one point, 2 cats were quite elderly and it still wasn't a problem.

Look at Fibreworks website <http://fibreworks.com>;. This company is right in our town and that's where she got all her seagrass rugs. She chose the "Coir" design. Yes, the first time one walks on it barefoot, it feels rough, but ones feet quickly adjust. DD's entire family never wear shoes in the house - maybe that's why the sisal runner on the stairs has lasted so well.

The people at Fireworks couldn't be nicer. I've been dealing with them since they were a very small office in the West End 34 years ago.

Bluebell66 thanked Anglophilia