Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbkatz

window replacement and new siding - new construction vs vinyl in WI?

mbkatz
6 years ago

We will be replacing siding and windows in our home in WI. there will be 19 windows to replace. Yes the brick is going :)

1) I am overwhelmed with the window choices.. between the vinyl replacement companies, Ply Gem, Alliance, Simonton and Hayfield.. which would be the choice for replacements?

2) Should I consider new construction windows at this time?

My house · More Info

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Are you near Milwaukee? If so, I would add Okna to that list and there is a great company by the name of HomeSealed that serves your area. He has some fantastic products in terms of siding and windows out there and runs a top flight company.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Why on earth would you remove the brick? The shutters should be the first thing thaat hits the trash they do nothing for the house.I am not familiar with the companies in your area so can’t help there . A new garage door with some glass would be a nice addition. Is you old siding wood, it might just need painting. I am one that dislikes vinyl siding, I think I would have the bowed window removed and just have it made flat.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would make the home more 'farmhouse' in style.

mbkatz thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • mbkatz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are replacing all siding and windows .... lp siding and trying to figure out good windows... but so many companies out there

• Ron Mexico
    6 years ago

Installation sure is important, but I take major umbrage with the statement that it's the only thing to worry about. Products may look the same but they can be designed and manufactured at very, very different levels of quality. Where are you located mbkatz? I'm sure that you can get some referrals given that you are looking to sort through a sea of company choices, including the one from Windows on Washington above.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Homesealed has an outstanding reputation and proven products. If he does not serve your area I think he could point you in a good direction.

Thr products you listed are not that stellar. The Hayfield could be good depending on what line .

• mbkatz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are in muskego Wisconsin

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Pretty close to Homesealed.

• mbkatz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Todddinmn do you work for homesealed?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

That's funny, but no.

Just trying to steer you towards some better products than the ones you listed and Homesealed is the only one I know that is going to deliver on product and install.

I would consider Soft-Lite and Okna your best options in vinyl.

I would also lean towards new construction Windows

mbkatz thanked toddinmn