Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djahlm

Family Room Art Help

djahlm
6 years ago

Greetings!

I am looking for some help in choosing art work for over the sofa in this room. I like abstract, expressionistic, impressionistic and figures in art.

The walls were were just painted, and I hope that art will help to liven up the room. Eventually (when I finish my DR dilemma), I‘d like to make some changes in this room - new TV console, new ceiling fan, side tables, pillows, etc.. The sofa and chair will remain, as will the carpet. The bookshelf is all grandkids’ books and stays for now.

Thanks for any art or artist suggestions.

P.S. Also wondering if we should paint the trim white as the rest of the original house has all white trim.

View from FR to DR:

Comments (858)

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These are fabrics I brought home for the Hickory Manor above.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I like the swatches from Hickory Manor, but I didn't see any sofas there that didn't look kinda dumpy. The Digby from Flexsteel is definitely more contemporary looking. I wouldn't get a two-seater, though, if you can fit a full-size sofa.

Do you intend to pair it with something like the Eames lounger or the Conform chair like drdeb's? If so, then I think I'd want to go more full on MCM on the sofa.

Apartment Therapy's Sofa Squad rated the Sloan sofa. It's about 1/3 of the way down the page here: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/reviewed-the-most-comfortable-sofas-at-interior-define-245517

djahlm thanked groveraxle
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, I spent some time looking at Sloan reviews. Many complaints on wait time, delivery service, communication and customer satisfaction. In fairness to ID, many of the negative reviews were during the start up of the company. What I can’t find are reviews of how well the Sloan holds up down the road - three years, five years... I don’t want a sofa that looks rumpled after a couple of years, but maybe that’s just the intended look for that sofa.

If you think the Digby looks contemporary enough I’ll bring more swatches home (including Cobblestone Gray) to try in the room.

I‘ve decided not to go with the Eames or Conform even though I love their look. This is mainly my chair and I wouldn’t need/want the recline/swivel options. So, if I go with the Digby, what kind of arm chair would work with that? I’ll post a few options that I have looked at.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I realize they’re all swivel, which I don’t really want, but I like the looks of them. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

If I were choosing a chair to be mine-all-mine-no-you-can't-sit-there, it would either be the Eames lounger or one of West Elm's recliners.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Grover.^^^ That narrows it down, which is REALLY helpful for me. I’m still waffling between the Sloan and the Digby. Love the Sloan, but worried about its durability. Like the Digby (all the welting kind of bothers me) and think it would stand the test of time. Since I really value your opinion, do you think the Digby would look good in our room? Or is there something else out there I should look at?

• drdeb1234
    4 years ago

I don’t know if you have a Room & Board anywhere near you, but they have lovely armchairs.

djahlm thanked drdeb1234
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Have you looked at Crate & Barrel? I quite like their Torino. Haven't sat on it, but it gets good reviews.

Torino Teal Sofa + Reviews | Crate and Barrel · More Info

• drdeb1234
    4 years ago

I sat in the Torino armchair. Very comfy.

djahlm thanked drdeb1234
  • drdeb1234
    4 years ago

And that sofa is very handsome

djahlm thanked drdeb1234
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, drdeb and Grover. I’ll check Room and Board and Crate and Barrel tomorrow.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, I really like everything about the Torino, but see that it’s 84 inches. Our current sofa is 80” and the opening for the sofa is 100 inches. I fear it might be a little tight for the space?

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, I just found this sofa on Overstock. It gets good reviews. Do you think it would look good in the FR? Any cons to getting it?

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Never mind. The more expensive one includes the chair. But the sofa and chair set is offered for a lower price.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

I would not want to sit on the buttons. They'd be better on the back.

djahlm thanked ashtonchic
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ashtonchic, I don’t think they are buttons, but good point. No reviewers mentioned the seat being uncomfortable, so I’m assuming it’s OK.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, would you be able to photo shop the sofa in the FR if I moved the current sofa out and took a pic? I think a colored chair is a great idea, maybe a darker teal or navy? I suppose gray would work also.

I went to Hom, Schneiderman’s and Macy’s yesterday; not much I liked. I plan to go to Room and Board and Crate and Barrel next week. This room is way harder than the LR was because of how much more use it gets - need durability and comfort.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Overstock:

West Elms's Hamilton:

Crate's Torino:

• Katie G
    4 years ago

My con regarding overstock furniture purchase, I bought a bed frame 4 years ago with a 5 year accidental warranty which said it would cover frame damage if original warranty was up. when I tried to use it, that same warranty didn't exist anymore and they couldn't look it up. All they did was let me use the provisions of the currently sold one, and decided my damage was not covered even though it should have been under the warranty I paid for.

djahlm thanked Katie G
  • Katie G
    4 years ago

I must have missed when you ruled out InterDesign, I ordered swatches from them that just came in the mail and found out what I did and did not like as the online colors are pretty different

djahlm thanked Katie G
  • Katie G
    4 years ago

since you didn't ask, lol, I prefer the look of the crate & barrel sofa over the Digby however if you can see both in person, undo the zipper on the back cushion and see if the filling is separated into chambers. When it isn't, you have gravity and a person's body weight pulling the filling down over time which causes the saggy look. I used to work at a furniture store so construction of the back cushion is good to check for long term longevity and if it's sew in with no zipper you would want to inquire from the manufacturer. That said, any that use solid foam for the back cushion rather than polyfill or shredded foam won't have the sagging problem over time either.

djahlm thanked Katie G
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You’re the best, Grover; thanks for the renderings and for making the brown sofa go away. Oh, decisions.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie, thanks for your comment and the info about cushions. I’ve been doing a lot of online reading about what makes a sofa durable. It seems that cushion filling is more important than anything, as low density and low resiliency foam will break down in a few years and you’ll be left with the saggy/baggy cushions I’m trying to avoid. I found this article really helpful:

https://furnitureblog.simplicitysofas.com/blog/what-everyone-needs-to-know-before-buying-their-next-couch/

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven’t ruled out Interior Define completely, Katie. I’m just trying to look at different options. I love the CB Torino, just want to make sure it’s comfortable for my husband, since this is his “mine-all-mine” (Grover’s words:)) spot at night, while mine is the chair. It’s hard to pull the trigger on the Sloan sight unseen. It has a great look, but will it hold up?

• kulrn
    4 years ago

https://joybird.com/sofas/ Hi djahlm Joybird has 30% off sale. Have you looked there?

365-Day Home Trial,Limited Lifetime Warranty, Free Returns

djahlm thanked kulrn
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have browsed their site, kulrn, but my hesitation with them, as with the other online sources, is not being able to sit on and see them in person.

• drdeb1234
    4 years ago

I’m not a fan of sofas with tufted seats, with or without buttons. In my experience, it’s not that the buttons are uncomfortable, but that they can come off. They are the weak point in the sofa. Also even without buttons the tufting is just a good place for crumbs and dirt to gather.

We have a Bantam sofa from DWR, with buttons on back. We have been very happy with it so far (5 years, daily use)

djahlm thanked drdeb1234
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good point on the tufted seats, drdeb. I hadn’t even thought about crumbs and such, but that would drive me crazy trying to keep it clean. Thank you! That’s what I love about this forum; you guys have such smart, thoughtful perspectives on things. I’ll take a look at the Bantam.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would it be weird to have a navy sofa in our LR (which we already have) and then purchase a navy sofa for the FR?

Went to WE today and sat in some of their chairs. My favorites were the Austin chair w/ottoman and the Spencer leather recliner. Any thoughts on which chair and also which color? The hunt for a sofa continues...I looked at sofas at Crate and Barrel today. They didn’t have either the Torino sofa or chair to sit in; I did like their Barrett sofa. I didn‘t see any sofas at WE that really caught my attention after seeing and sitting in them.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Barrett sofa:

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

FWIW, I’ve had the Barrett lounger for over a year and really love it. And I had considered the Spencer recliner but ended up with a swivel recliner from C&B which we all love. Been watching your room transformations and you’ve done a great job!

djahlm thanked Gcubed
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I love that caramel-colored leather on the Austin and the Spencer. Either of those would look smashing with a navy sofa. I don't think it would be weird to have navy in both rooms.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gcubed, thanks for the info about the sofa; good to know. We’re putting fabric on the sofa and CB had some nice ones.

We are enjoying the changes we’ve made, but I’d still be back at square one if it were not for the help of Grover and many others on this site. Grover has put hours of time into helping me and I’ll be forever grateful for her guidance.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Grover, I like that color, too, just wondered if I should be more open to the darker one. I need to pick between the two while WE had their sale.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve narrowed down my sofa choices to these two:

The Barrett from Crate and Barrel:

Here are some possible fabric choices for it:

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The other is the Sloan from Interior Define:

Some fabric choices:

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do I need to consider the carpet when making my fabric choice? Any thoughts on either sofa or fabric are greatly appreciated.

Grover, would you mind photoshopping the two sofas into the room? I trust your judgement as to which fabric(s) to put on it (Read: please help me pick a sofa and fabric). Thanks in advance!

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Were there no blue fabrics for the Barrett? Or a blue-gray? Would look nice with the caramel chairs.

djahlm thanked Gcubed
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ya know, gcubed, I didn’t and I’m not sure why. I think I was focusing on seeing if I liked a more taupe-looking sofa, so didn’t even look at the blue fabrics. If I decide i like the look of the Barrett over the Sloan I’ll go back and look at their blue fabrics.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gcubed, just saw this one, which might be nice on the Barrett sofa. I can’t believe I didn’t look at blue fabric, duh!

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

That's beautiful. I think I have ash (it's a very light gray), but I do have a velvet ink blue swivel recliner paired with it!

djahlm thanked Gcubed