Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pohlkamps

Replacing Shower Stall & Whirlpool Tub

Ann Pohlkamp
6 years ago
I’m trying to decide how to update my tub/shower and need some guidance. Ideally I’d like a little more room in the shower and to replace the whirlpool with a non-jetted soaker tub without moving plumbing much. I’m not sure though if I should go to a freestanding tub, a new drop in using the current frame (newer tub will be narrower so it would sit father out from window) or make a new drop in frame so the new tub sits back toward the window. On the shower I’m not sure if is worth the cost to get a couple more inches on each side of the shower which would make it a non-standard size.

Comments (9)

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I lost the tub in my bathroom remodel of the master for a two person shower. As long as you have a tub in the house you are fine.
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A 20K project like that needs professional design involvement. And that is if the only thing you touch is the tub and shower. Hire a Kitchen and Bath Designer.

• Chris Carol
    6 years ago

I'm wondering if Sophie thinks you could just update the tile in the area or would she advise doing a major remodel? I'm trying to decide the same type of issue in my master bath. I kind of like my whirlpool tub, but I know it dates our bathroom.

• Yvonne Garbutt
    6 years ago
    We had a similar set up in the bathroom we recently remodelled, as in yours.

Replaced w a 60inch shower and a free standing tub.

If I were to do it again I would probably not go with a kit shower and do a tiled shower with glass walls instead, so as to have a wide shower. And we still could have gone with a larger soaker !
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    As soon as you touch the tub area you are into big remodel. Flooring will be impacted. Tiling changes. So, good you are asking now. Bathrooms are second only to kitchens in terms of cost to remodel. Proceed with professional assistance.
  • Ann Pohlkamp
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! All tile in this room will be ripped and replaced so I’m not worried about trying to remove just a portion. Most of the “bath designers” in my area seem to be design/build places and the quote I got at one was very high. My project will likely be a mix of DIY and skilled labor.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Just be realistic about what the overall project costs will be. Things you don’t see like plumbing, electricals and structural issues along with upgrading to current codes, are where many don’t realize place substantial costs into a project like this. You also need contingency dollars into your budget for unexpected problems when you open things up. Water damage to joists and long term build up of mold are common conditions. Be careful.
  • FutureDriven
    5 years ago

My master bath looks almost exactly like this and we are trying to figure out how we want to make updates without doing a big Reno. We want to have all the tile replaced but plan to keep the layout. Is there anyway to update a bathroom and keep the tub? I would love to know what you guys decided to do!