Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle

IKEA's new 15" deep upper cabinets

blondelle
6 years ago
In all the many posts I've read here about IKEA kitchens I've never seen a discussion of the newer 15" upper cabinet depth. I know they made them deeper to hold more, but do you feel they close in a small kitchen more? I never liked their corner cabinets as the overhang the counter too much. I would prefer to work at a counter with no upper cabinet but not possible in a tiny kitchen. These are only 9" less deep than the counter. I guess it must be OK as I've found no posts on the issue. For those who have them, do you not mind the extra 3" of overhang?

Comments (21)

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

I just realized today that standard depth for uppers is 12”, so i am also wondering about this. Thanks for posting the question!

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don't mind and they don't look out of place/proportion but I do most of my prep at the peninsula. Rest of family has no problems with our snack/toaster/microwave/coffee area with the 15" cabinets above.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I don't have Ikea but have 15" uppers. I like the extra storage and use the counterspace there a lot without noticing that they're deeper. I do prep more in the area where there are no uppers, but I don't know if that would be different if I had 12" uppers.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I had my uppers made 13". I thought 15" was too deep too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The best thing to do is to go to an ikea and look at their display kitchens and see what you think. I do believe there were several threads about this back when Sektion was new.

• Godswood
    6 years ago

I like my 15" uppers but I do not have a small or closed in kitchen. I do not notice them being in the way. I hung them 20" above the counters. (I think standard is around 18").

• numbersjunkie
    6 years ago

If you have the space and are worried about it, you can bump out the base cabinets. We did that by adding blocking to the studs where the lower rail woul go. A slightly deeper counter can be a plus too.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Many plates today are do large, deeper cabinets are needed. I have inset spdoirs and measured very carefully before ordering!

• bbtrix
    6 years ago

I have Ikea 12” my kitchen and my daughter has the 15” in her tiny kitchen. I’ve not really noticed a difference and certainly don’t see the it as a problem. As Writersblock suggested it’s best you go see them for yourself.

• kazmom
    6 years ago

We had 15” deep uppers in our old kitchen. I never felt closed in or felt like the counter space was lacking. I never actually even knew they were 15” deep though (there when we bought the house) until we moved and the normal 12” deep uppers seemed so small! I thought our rental and then our new house had abnormally marrow cabinets! All the sudden our plates were bumping the doors and we couldn’t fit as much. Our GC told us that the old house had to have had 15” deep uppers. We are talking about doing that in our remodel. If the cost difference is something that is within budget I would definately go 15”.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Hmm, I said upthread that there were older threads about this, but they seem to be from the period when GW was losing posts all the time, because they aren't here now.

Anyway, the overall gist was that a couple of people didn't like them, but most people didn't find it noticeable, other than the extra space inside.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

We've had Sektion uppers lining our narrow galley kitchen since 2015. The Depth doesn't bother me. I'm 5'8" tall and we set the uppers a bit high at 20" above the counter because of our UCL.

We DIY'd the kitchen, so the ease of assembly and install was far more important than upper cabinet depth. YMMV.

• Stormsearch
    6 years ago

UCL is always recommended, but for 15" depth cabinets it is almost required especially if using the minimum 18" height off counter. Also, the 30" wall cabs seem a little stubby for the end cabs for us, so removed the soffit to put in 40". It looks more appealing to us. I agree the corner cabinets now are huge and we've debated on using a blind cab in the corner instead, but it is now getting lighting treatment inside.

Our outlets are set to standard height off the counter which still work, but a taller person may not appreciate the deeper cabs. Be careful crowding windows and door openings with the deeper cabs also, they do give a slight tunnel affect that we expected and do notice.

As far as added storage, it was a great improvement and worth making the adjustments.

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

Tony, thanks for that info - very helpful. We would love to see pics of your kitchen if you would be comfortable sharing them.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Tony. Afraid I don't know what UCL is though. Is there a code that determines the placement of outlets? I had wanted mine close to the counter. I guess if I can't get used to the 15", I could always have them cut down. A pain, but doable. Just 4 upper cabinets on the work side. 3" is a big change to make on a 12" cabinet.
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Blondelle, UCL = Under Cabinet Lighting

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

Yikes! Thank you, Sophie. That is all very good to know for planning purposes. I wonder why ikea went with 15” uppers in light of all these potential issues. I also wonder if their badged vent hood and OTR microwave have different specs to account for these particular challenges. Easy enough to check, so I will do that when I have some time.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sophie! I never thought of any of that! VERY helpful post. I also don't like a microwave hanging over most of my cooktop. Maybe I will have the over the range cabinet cut down to 12" deep. If it just vents from the top, maybe that will solve the issue.
  • Stormsearch
    6 years ago

There is no federal governing requirement for outlet height above counter, but local may govern. Just from experience and likely from ADA recommendation, we typically put them 44" above floor level when a 24" depth counter is encountered. Moving them up and down will not violate anything unless there is a local req. Moving them right/left will affect distance between them that must be met. My kitchen is in middle of remodel. I just hung all our cabs over last week and counters were measured for today.

We had yellowing golden oak cabs beforehand and the deeper IKEA off-white color does help with reducing the enclose or tunnel feeling. Our previous cabs were closer to 13" and IKEA depth is technically less than 15 so we are closer to 2" depth change.

This site has been invaluable to us so trying to give back.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

Oops yes I have a metal spacer to bring my range hood forward to meet the 15" uppers. I was worried about it before the remodel and discussed with GC, but wasn't hard to solve, just had to plan for it. I'd actually forgotten how we fixed it until I saw Sophie's post and had to go look!