Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

March 2018 citrus pictures and stories

I put all 5 of my seed grown Meiwa trees and pomelo on US897 in the GH with the in ground NZL

Steve

Comments (144)

• Ike Stewart
    6 years ago

Matt, what climate are you in, in general Limes and Lemons are the least cold hardy of all citrus, with Satsumas and some other Mandarins the most cold hardy of the orange like Citrus.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Ike Stewart
  • bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    6 years ago

4 Winds Fukushu Kumquat premium size, very happy with purchase, nicely rooted i 2 gal container, tap root pruned only slightly, washed down with house blend mist, and total root wash, re-potted yesterday in 5-1-1 3 gal, its settling in good so far

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • Amanda Tyner
    6 years ago

Wow that’s a good looking tree bklyn! I actually saw a kumquat for the first time today! They were being sold in Meijer, packaged like grape tomatoes. I was blown away by how tiny they were! They didn’t look very fresh or I would have bought them to try them. I also found some gold nuggets and you know I had to buy those!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Amanda Tyner
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@Ike it's a greenhouse, Dec/Jan were the coldest. The least cold hardy oh I didn't know. There is a guy in BC CAN that has lemons and limes in ground no warmer then zone 8b.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked User
  • evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    6 years ago

Matt, my tree was planted in March of 2014, so its been in ground for 4 years.

Brooklyn, nice tree from four winds.

Evan

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked evdesert 9B Indio, CA
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very nice looking trees everyone. Thanks for showing them. It seems like every one is getting their tree on C-35. Is that by choice or just what is available. I have a Fukushu on C-35. that I grafted myself. My 2 attempts on US897 failed

I would like to graft this on Seville sour orange for outside in ground growing and keep this one in a container.

Steve

• User
    6 years ago

Got the one planted this evening

An idea of what a 4in by 9 in pot costs here at home depot.. :(

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Matt, what does your Zone 6a 9b mean? You have two places? Is that tree planted in grown in zone 9b? Nice job

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked myermike_1micha
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Oh, So I planted a Kumquat tree in the ground two years ago and I hate the fruit! Very bitter and hardly sweet. I am going to rip it out this summer to be replaced with something sweet juicy and seedless...Possibly a Manderine or Tangerine? Not sure yet. What would you plant?

The tree is Maui Kumquat. Gross. Now the Kishu I have planted is to die for!

• User
    6 years ago

I'l living in Southern Ontario which is zone 6a, the tree is planted in the greenhouse which is zone 9b. Thanks Mike!

That sounds a lot better. Yes I would go with a mandarin or any kind of orange. like you said something sweet. How are yours in ground??

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    6 years ago

Hi Matt, I got the same mandarin orange tree from home depot last sunmer. Very vigourous but it hasn’t fruit yet for me. Do you have any idea which variety is this?

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • User
    6 years ago

Hi Amy, I have no idea yet either. I tried to look at Foliera website but not much info there. I'm going to send them an e-mail tonight. We hate not knowing!!! lol I'll let you know if I come across anything.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    6 years ago

Thank you Matt! Let me know if they gie you any clue! Mine has elongated leaves that look very much the same as my nules clementine.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • coreycampbell1987 .
    6 years ago
    60F today had my trees outside to enjoy the nice weather while it lasts. They are calling for snow this week.
    poncirusguy6b452xx thanked coreycampbell1987 .
  • bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    6 years ago

I've never eaten a Kumquat....yet I buy one

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mike Do you mean Marumi kumquat. can you post pictures. It may take a year or 2 longer to get it to the point of producing good fruit. There are others with the same tree that are getting good fruit,

Steve

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Wow beautiful trees everyone. They're all so healthy looking that you'd think there was never a winter this year.

So sorry to hear that about your friend Mike :( I have not checked into gardenweb in awhile so it is sad news to hear we're still having many losses whether it is someone's homes or trees due to the extreme weather. I live somewhere natural occurrences do not become too extreme so I'm lucky but I hope your friend is finding support for shelter and food from their community and loved ones.

Nancy your Shiranui still looks like it's fighting on. It has enough leaves to make a quick comeback once these snowstorms stop. I'm sure of it! If it feels any better, I don't think anyone's tree can be as bare and sparse and abused as my Meyer tree is this winter lol!

An update on my Meyer's journey of neglect

Began declining during fall in its original nursery soil, repotted in 50/50 peat/perlite but original soil wasn't washed off, still had 20ish leaves left. Watered thoroughly during beginning of winter but had an intense fungus gnat infestation probably bc of the leftover soil on the rootball. Saw whole soil surface moving like ocean waves with fungus gnat larvae. Got traumatized by the sight of moving larval soil, stopped watering for many many weeks. Tree still managed to hang on to life with no change until it finally succumbed to dehydration and started dropping leaves bringing it down to 5 leaves. I left the baby lemon it developed in December since I figured I might as well have a lemon -albeit a baby lemon- if it's already on death's doorstep. Started watering it in sips to test its reaction and noticed it did try to push new growth but dried up. Pushed out more new growth but only grew one leaf. Horrified that I lost new growth it put out for the first time since purchasing the tree that I've finally got myself back on a tree watering schedule. The lemon started swelling and drooping after the new watering routine! I know I should take off the lemon but it kept desperately blooming when I plucked off all past flowers & lemon nubbins.

Now it finally stopped its constant flowering and is attempting to push new growth in 3 places!

So I hope my neglectful journey with my Meyer gives hope for everyone who believes their citrus to be in trouble. It can attempt to bounce back even when this far gone as long as it's not rot lol!

I stopped feeling desperate and worried about my Meyer since it is too finicky to be worth the energy. Their finickyness reminds me of temper tantrums. Dropping leaves and doing everything they can to throw a tantrum when in reality, they're not doing as horribly as they want to seem hah! I expect it to begin making a full recovery once summer arrives but maybe I'm being too optimistic? Pushing growth in 3 new places seems to me like it's finally stopped throwing a tantrum and decided to take advantage of what little precious care I'm giving it!

If anything I still have one of its rooted cuttings. Also dehydrated like its parent due to larval infested media but is pushing new growth once I also gave it water. Lost my other 4 cuttings to dehydration but I'm very happy with this last one. Good luck to everyone with this last leg of winter!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Home
  • sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Hi Kvetch, long time no see :) You are not alone in your worries about a defoliated lemon tree. My rescued lemon looks just like yours, with very few leaves on the end of the branches, some little branches died back, I had to cut them off.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is my lemon tree now

New Zealand lemonade on US897 rootstock. · More Info
    3 months ago
    New Zealand lemonade on US897 rootstock. · More Info

• Amanda Tyner
    6 years ago

Lots of nice new growth!!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked Amanda Tyner
  • PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Ohh yes Steve I saw the picture before all that new growth where a lot of branches died back! Gave me that feeling that not all hope is lost when completely defoliated.

Hi sunshine, yes it's been so long! I kept thinking I should take a look at everyone's citrus updates but I was too embarrassed about my own tree. Not anymore though :) seeing it go from almost no leaves to lots of potential baby leaves ended up being a wonderful experience! I had a couple of branches die back and I cut them too. It's probably best to lessen the amount of circulation the tree has to go through when it's running on energy reserves anyway. The wilted new growth was on the branch tips. The 3 current living new growths are midway up.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Kvetch, thank you so much! I really appreciate that and it's good to see you again. It has been a rough few last weeks..And as for you, WOW, I can't believe after all that your tree is coming back. I had a few casualties this winter of neglect. I get tired at times of trying to make them all happy of just to keep up. But tank God for the few that do not completely dry after a renewed look at them, they come back well once the nice weather hits. I am dying for those days to come let me tell you.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Haha I can't wait either! It'll be my first time experiencing the entire growing season with my lemon. I'm hoping for lots of new branches and maybe a bit of extra trunk girth if I'm allowed a miracle. Your trees are the epitome of health so I doubt they'll ever dry up the way mine almost did! I have a feeling we'll be hit with sudden summer weather after all this snow stops. Spring will just skip on without a glance

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Haha I can't wait either! It'll be my first time experiencing the entire growing season with my lemon. I'm hoping for lots of new branches and maybe a bit of extra trunk girth if I'm allowed a miracle. Your trees are the epitome of health so I doubt they'll ever dry up the way mine almost did! I have a feeling we'll be hit with sudden summer weather after all this snow stops. Spring will just skip on without a glance

• Monyet
    6 years ago

Mine are coming out of captivity and eating pretty good again.

Figs are going in there summer position, 6 more to go Citrus will be going in that area in about 2 weeks, they could be basking in the sun again.

I am down to only one Red Navel and 4 Dream Navel, 2 Meyers. Fruits are all gone.

My younger tree's are in the back of the house, only morning sun.

• chickentimmy
    6 years ago

Michael, if you’re ripping out your Kumquat this summer, is there any chance I could take it off your hands? I’ll come pick it up. They’re one of my favorite trees and I’m looking for one for the ground of my greenhouse.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked chickentimmy
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sounds like a good idea Mike, Timmy. Here is my in ground seed grown Fukushu kumquat.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Chickentimmy. I don't mind at all...You do live near my area? I might even give you another tree or some.) I will carefully dig it out. It is very productive. I will post a pic here tomorrow for you.

• chickentimmy
    6 years ago

Well, I live in Massachusetts, at least! Waltham. Thank you very much.

• chickentimmy
    6 years ago

And poncirus, how old is your Fukushu? It looks great

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Waltham is a 20 minute drive to one of my houses and it just so happens that is where I grow this tree. So let's keep in touch and I will give you that one. IT has grown a lot.

Save this thread or take my e-mail and e-mail come asap or when April warmth hits, like the middle of it and it's yours)

Actually, it's a lot easier if you just text me..Here is my number Mike Rivera 978-430-3096 Once you take my number down text me to let me know you have it so I can delete it.

• chickentimmy
    6 years ago

Thank you very much. What’s your email?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I believe it was near 1 +/_ year old when Cory gave it to me and I will have had it 2 years this upcoming June.

Steve

• devsense
    6 years ago

Most of my plants are giving new growth though am not a fan of winter growth .

Anxiously waiting for it to get warmer which for us is atleast another month

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked devsense
  • Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Mike, are trees planted trees outdoors and if so, are they protected from the cold?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mike Make sure you plant some Marumi seeds. They grow well on their own roots and is a good choices for dwarfing rootstock other than Flying dragon.

Steve

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Steve, speaking of the Marumi Kumquat, here is an updated picture that I took today. I started it from seed in early December. The seedling is growing stronger daily and is doing well so far. The growth is a bit slower compared to a Calamondin seed that I planted on the same day, but that is the nature of the kumquats.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked jinnylea
  • jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

March update - getting in almost under the wire! LOL I just found my first little bloom bud on my Australian red lime about 15 minutes ago -

Gardenweb · More Info

This is the full pic of the little guy (it's in an 8" pot by the way) -

Gardenweb · More Info

It was a Logee's 4" grafted plant bought over the summer (a Laura enablement-buy...lol) and looked like this -

Gardenweb · More Info

So at least for the moment, of all the citrus I have, it has been my most trouble-free (knock on wood), although I did find a cottony cushion scale on it last month and took care of that - it might have come from the Tango near it. The past couple weeks it has started dropping some of it's tiny old leaves (first time I've seen any leaf drop on it in the 8 months I've had it) and that seemed to herald the blooms to come. Yay!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • lucky_cloud
    6 years ago

My Tango is suddenly losing leaves left and right -- all older growth, mostly turning yellow at the midvein before dropping. I might have moved it in/out too many times this spring or it might be that I had it in too big of a pot - I took it out of its pot today to check the roots and found the roots have not really grown at all since I got it (in a 4" pot) and potted it up. I down-sized its container and gave it some mycorrhizae and azomite. Everything goes outside later this week so hopefully it'll bounce back.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked lucky_cloud
    6 years ago

Always keep newly potted trees away from the wind outside, I have lost a beautiful lemon tree due to winds in the past.

• lucky_cloud
    6 years ago

I will put it in a protected spot for sure - probably on my screened porch w/ a translucent roof for a few days first.

• containertime
    6 years ago

It's been exactly one year since I bought my citrus trees. This is an update from my earlier comment on this thread.

Here's my frost damaged Meyer lemon. It's made quite a recovery since early March. Epsom salt did wonders to both trees by making the new growth nice, dark green.

This is my Miho satsuma. It's blooming and there are already some baby fruits. I hope that a decent few will mature to full grown fruits.

Good luck to everyone else growing their citrus too!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked containertime
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jinny

Here is my Seville seedling that I planted around the same time Seville oranges are very aggressive growers that I could expect 4-6 feet in one year.

I want to show that I lifted the tree so the stem was at least a 1/2 inch high and would be free of any damp off problems. I have not lost a tree from damp off since I started lifting the plant 4 years ago.

6 years ago

Hi guys, got a minute to snap some pictures today. My Bearss lime is blooming:

The blooms of my unknown lemon:

My Meyer lemon dropped some leaves recently, has some new growth:

My grafted clementine from store fruit twig:

My rescued lemon tree ( so far no scale) :

My key lime twin seedlings:

The very exciting picture, my 3.5 year old pomegranate seedling has bloomed for the very first time:

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    6 years ago

My meyer has more blooms than I've ever seen on it right now.

mike

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
  • User
    6 years ago

Mike that is amazing! Your over winter method worked so well.

• jinnylea
    6 years ago

Steve, that is great! I had no idea that the Seville was that aggressive in growth.

Sunshine and Mike, your trees are looking good! Sunshine, congratulations on the pomegranate seedling! How exciting! Junk, your Miho looks great! Jenny, that is a beautiful looking flower bud on that finger lime!

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked jinnylea
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jinny

I don't really know how Seville's grow over time but they get to a very quick jump start. I am growing mine in windows with out additional light and they are beating the pants off my kumquat seedlings with them under 16 hours of very bright lights.

I plan to graft an NZL to my Seville sour orange and grow it outside against the south wall of my house 8 feet east of my NZL on C35.

NZL on US897

Volunteer Pumpkin and lambsquarters share the bucket with the NZL that nearly died. The lambsquarters will be remove to another pot and the pumpkin will remain to serve as a dryness indicator.

The cause of decline was cause by the container. I failed to notice that while the bucket had great side aeration hole it did not have any bottom holes. This year I decided to water heavily every week and use the vacuum chamber under the pot to draw excess water out and keep the moist soil aerated. With out the bottom holes the roots did not get the air and they rotted while all my other tree did great.

Steve

6 years ago

Steve, did you water the citrus trees that were outside in the ground at any point in the winter?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I watered both of them heavily before enclosing them. I watered the NZL several time though the winter and now watering more often with the high GH temperature. The Fukushu is in a Low-E glass box and does not heat up on bright days. It went from late November to early march with out water and did fine. I watered it about 4 days ago for its second watering. It is budding out nicely.

Steve

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!