Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_hauenstein

Living room furniture layout/where to hang television

Tiffany Hauenstein
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, fellow houzzers.

My husband and I are moving into our home in about 6 weeks. We are going to be tearing out the carpet and continuing the hardwood from the K/DR through to the LR. Im not wild about hanging the tv above the fireplace, but do want to keep symmetry in the space and am looking for ideas/suggestions as to where else it can be placed to keep balance. My husband does want to hang the tv above the fireplace, so also wondering anout furniture placement if we go in that direction. We will be painting the walls a light blue gray color as well, and I’m going for a cozy zen theme.

I included a pic of the kitchen so you can see how the space flows. Please throw any ideas or suggestions my way. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ptreckel
    6 years ago
    If you really don’t want to hang the tv, don’t! Center it on the wall to the right in your first photo, on top of a console in which you can hide all the wiring and boxes, etc. Then, balance it with your couch, facing it, on the other side of the room. Symmetry achieved! Good luck in your new home!
    Tiffany Hauenstein thanked ptreckel
  • mkcb1000
    6 years ago

In our new house, we put the TV inside the fireplace opening. We love it! On the occasions when we want to use the fireplace (1-2 times per year), the TV slides out easily enough and can be stored.

Tiffany Hauenstein thanked mkcb1000
  • Tiffany Hauenstein
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love the idea of sliding your tv in and out. Very cool. Thanks for your suggestion. The only issue I have with putting tv on the right wall is that it will not be visible from kitchen.

• Tiffany Hauenstein
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That looks awesome Beverly. Thanks for the idea!

• ptreckel
    6 years ago
    You can hang the tv on the wall with a pivot so that it can be seen from the kitchen.
    Tiffany Hauenstein thanked ptreckel
  • Tiffany Hauenstein
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good call ptreckel

• tatts
    6 years ago

You can't put the TV on the wall to the right because all you'll see is reflection of the light coming in through the windows behind the couch. Yes, light blocking drapwes would solve that, but all the time as you watch TV? No.

Put it to the left of the fireplace, wall-mounted on a swing arm so that it can be angled slightly, if needed (if you put it to the right of the FP, you'll still have the reflection problem)..

Tiffany Hauenstein thanked tatts
  • Tiffany Hauenstein
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your comment tatts. What would you recommend we put in the right corner of fireplace to balance out the LR?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Reflecting Design
    6 years ago

Do you watch a lot of television? If not, think of loosing it all together. I am on no crusade but I think television content is pretty deplorable. But thats another conversation. Consider loosing it anyhow. Your life will be all the much better.

Tiffany Hauenstein thanked Reflecting Design
  • PRO
    Reflecting Design
    6 years ago

Oh yea, have you considered a mirror above the fireplace?

Mirrors and Mantels ideas

Tiffany Hauenstein thanked Reflecting Design