Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Green 2017

Going green can be fun, Show us your greens today.

Who still has snow? And who got outside this week end?

I was outside and I do not know who messes up the yard during winter.

Comments (42)

• miles10612
    6 years ago

Very funny--I used to have 2 German Shepherds that would have done just that if they could!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Omigosh, Paula- those are so funny!

I got outside this weekend... it was really nice... 50s/60s. Didn’t see any hosta activity, but the clematis are alive and well and I pruned them up.

I have a few greens, but alas no good photos. And I ordered a couple of greens this year: Devon Green, fortunei Hyacinthina (thanks Saija). And I’m hoping I can obtain Get Nekkid at our local hosta club sale this spring... it’s on the sale list.

• jan_on zone 5b
    6 years ago

I don’t have many ‘just’ greens, but I do love thIs one, sadly showing some hail damage and tree debris in this photo.

• Saija_Finland
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

For windymess, F. Hyacinthina again. I have 10 these oldies :)

And I have still lots of snow and freeze. I took this photo today after work from our deck.

Saija

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

I've been outside today, mixing soil for the soon to come new hostas :-) It is so good to be in the sun...

Celtic Uplands

Deep Pockets

Devon Green

Eos

Frisian Changing Green

Green Acres

Green Fountain

Grünspecht

Harry van Trier

Invincible

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

a few more...

Irish Luck

Jaws

Kempen Red Twist

laevigata

Love Song

Maraschino Cherry

Marilyn Monroe

Neelix

Rain Forest

Red Dog

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Still in Maui ,home tomorrow . Very warm in Denver,worried Hostas may have started. Snow in Chazy. Hope stays that way for awhile.

Bridegroom
    Candy Dish
    Elvis Lives
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Glitter
    Green Velveteen
    Jade Cascade
    Kens Joy
    Maraschino Cherry
    Marilyn Monroe

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

A few more

Niagara Falls
    Stir It Up
    Potomac Pride
    Raspberry Sorbet
    Rockets Red Glare
    Second Wind

• old_dirt 6a
    6 years ago

I am "green" with envy at all the beautiful all green hostas here and surprised how few all green i have.

Valerie's Vanity

Obsession.

Peacock Strut, listed as blue/gray but mine seems to be quite green

Fortunei Hyacinthina, never dissapointments

Honeybells also an old favorite

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Valerie's Vanity is a stunner and interesting petioles on Peacock Strut!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Whoever thinks green is boring has not seen these beauties above!

Still lots of snow here Paula. My yard looks like yours right now saija

Black Hills

Bridegroom

Cherry Flip with slug damage.

clausa var. clausa

Goober

Invincible

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Jaws

Lancifolia

LS Looking Glass needs to be moved to a bit shadier spot.

6 years ago

A few more.

Niagara Falls

Plug Nickel early season

Puddles and Bumps

Red October

Royal Standard with Snowstorm on the right.

sieboldiana

Strawberry Yogurt

Teaspoon

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

So many shades of green, and in nature they all "go" together.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

windymess..I agree!..I love ALL greens..

I was outside for hours Sat and Sun..just picking up sticks but so happy..days have been nice but the nights are cold..my hostas are still sleeping..

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Devon Green, mid-May

Komodo Dragon, Early May

Lemon Ice, end of August

Seedling from a friend

So you guys are gonna think I'm nutty, but I gave away a full clump of Jaws, because it just wasn't doing it for me...sorry, don't hate me.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Karin, that Gruenspecht caught my attention; sunnywood, very nice Candy Dish; peren, Puddles and Bumps is a cutie and that LS Looking Glass looks like it’s shiny enough to burn ants with it.

So all green no variegation, I’ve got a few.

Aphrodite

Cranberry Wine

Crocodile Rock

Fried Bananas

Gosen Sunproof

Hacksaw

Honey Pie

Jiminy Cricket

Leapin’ Lizard

Limey Lisa

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

A few more

Niagara Falls

Permanent Wave — another barrel dweller

Teaspoon

Twist of Lime

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

When I first started, I tended to overlook the solid green hosta for the "flashy" ones. They have now become favorites, particularly dark green hosta. Fascinating variations and so many varieties add to the appeal.

Irish Luck

Deon Green

The Razor's Edge

Cup of Grace

Lakeside Midnight Miss

Lakeside Neat Petite

Lakeside Black Mama

Celtic Dancer

Kinba

Jaws

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Mbug cup of grace and Devon green are beautiful!

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

...a few more:

Tenryu

Tongue Twister

Rocket's Red Glare

Shimmy Shake

Pandora....new.....hope to get it in the ground this spring

Kempen Red Twist ....another new one ready for a spot

Purple Heart

Aphrodite

Invincible

Stir it Up

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Sunny....thank you....two of my favorites!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

mbug- do you usually grow them in a pot for a while before planting in the ground?

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

Wow, Just incredible, I'm lovin this thread (and the whole alphabet). After my 1st 100 Hostas, I have 4 that are solid green (sound familiar anyone?). I've already ordered 16 solid green ones for next year, so I'm trying to take care of that void, but this thread is making it hard not to add to that list.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

steve - after reading your post I thought it would be interesting to take stock of my solid/variegated/medio-variegated counts. These numbers include the hostas I've ordered this spring: 76 cultivars - 31 solid, 21 variegated, 24 medio-variegated. Of those solids: 15 blue, 8 gold, 10 green.

Altogether though I have (will have) 99 hostas, as there are multiples of some... and of those: 50 are solid, 23 variegated, 26 medio-variegated.

Useless information... compiled on a slow day at work.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    6 years ago

Too funny, I did the same thing and I (will have) 12% Green, 14% Blue, 10% Yellow and 64% Variegated (down from a current count of 75% variegated) - Guess I need more yellows now.

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Windy.....when I get small bare root or single divisions I'll start them in a pot.

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

I love the greens. Here are a few

Lakeside Lollipop

Lakeside Prophecy

Scallion Pancakes

Ringtail

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    6 years ago

Paula, thanks for keeping the alphabet going. Happy to hear about your treatment updates and hope that you'll continue to keep us posted.

I still don't have any green hostas. Just added a few yellow ones this past year, so maybe they'll count as green at least part of the season :P Anxious to see if all the plants even made it through this Winter. Kinda used to take it for granted that all the ones planted outside would be fine, but between this crazy weather and the chipmunk invasion, I'm expecting losses. We have snow...not still but again. Don't know if it's just me or if we're having more freeze-thaw and quite warm and/or rainy Winter days. Both my tall and short sedums have now emerged, of course only to be covered by snow again.

6 years ago

So many great ones on this thread but for whatever reason Honey Pie really catches my attention Kathy. I think you showed it last year as well...?

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

peren, here's Honey Pie on the left. IMO not a very special plant, kinda disappointed with it's very ordinary look.

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Honey Pie, a Solberg introduction, was such an underperformer the second year in the garden I almost threw it on the compost heap. This last year it looked like a Hosta, which was a big improvement over the first year. It’s fragrant, so I’m keeping it now near the small patio. It is kind of a yawner, I can’t remember how intense the fragrance was. It’s next to two stellar Solberg fragrants, Frozen Margarita and Grape Fizz.

Honey Pie on the right. But who knows, in my garden maybe a vole ate half of it the day after I planted it.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

So I have Honey Pie, and I think of it as a gold/chartreuse. I actually have two of them... they’ve been in the ground 2 years, and I moved them once, so the jury is still out. But I’ve liked them so far. I’m hoping this year I’ll see some good growth.

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Honey Pie.....2nd year.....I'm liking it so far.....does need some good sun.

hosta · More Info

6 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback on Honey Pie. It will be interesting to see them in a couple of years. Steve it looks like you got yours when it was first introduced and it seems to have put on good growth. It does seem to be a supporting character, they can't all scream for attention.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Come on down for a visit peren. and I'll give you a chunk! Yes, I think I got it the first year Bob offered it (added to my AHS auction win with the free shipping). I'm okay with it as a supporting character, as you put it, it's just one you pass by without notice.

6 years ago

Thanks Steve, nice offer! I am sure your AHS auction win was a beauty. Do you recall what it was? At least HP was a freebie.

I think 99.9% of us would agree that Lancifolia is nothing special but it will always stay in my garden. It was one of my first along with m. Aureomarginata, Halcyon etc ....old friends sort of thing. I don't know if I might be more discerning if my space were more limited.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Actually, now that I had time to think about it, Honey Pie IS the plant I won on the auction. I added Cracker Crumbs, Blue Legend, maybe 1 or 2 others to capitalize on the free shipping. Bob threw in a Jetstream as a bonus, which I am extremely happy with.

But, yes, you are right peren, the oldies and normals, have their place too.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Oh, and by the way, not much fragrance from Honey Pie. Cerveza is much better for growth, and fragrance.

• hosta_maker
    6 years ago

Glossy ruffles

similar to Irish luck but more character

fast grower

Slight fragrance

Large size

Coming next year

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

What a tease!

• hosta_maker
    6 years ago

funny

i've evaluated it for 8 years, its a good one.

it has similar parentage to irish luck. invincible open pollinated, but if i had to guess it would be from stingray pollen. which was growing right next to it.

when its fresh in the spring its so glossy it looks like a house plant.

the introducer felt it had more character than irish luck so we put it into tc

which can take over a year to reach market after that.