Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkjjpc

Gas to induction switchers, kudos or regrets?

Joseph Catlett
6 years ago
Long term gas user but impressed by induction. Thinking of switching and would welcome hearing other’s experience.

Comments (18)

• Hillside House
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Most people seem to really like induction. I, personally, don't, so we ran gas into our new kitchen during the remodel.

I would look for a showroom that lets you try it out. That's the only way to know which side of the fence you will fall on. :)

• southeasthouse
    6 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen an induction user here post a negative comment. Usually all the negative comments in the induction posts are just the people who don't have induction chiming in with everything they dislike about it.

I would also be interested in hearing if any of the actual induction users have regrets.

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

We have induction in our restaurant. I've used it extensively. Does that qualify me as an "actual induction user?"

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I switched from gas to induction and have no regrets. You might want to do a search on this forum for this topic. It's been addressed many times with lots of details from those who have switched including me. I've posted all my thoughts several times on previous threads.

• lisadlu16
    6 years ago

I love the precision and the ease of cleaning with my induction. I clean up the cooktop immediately after cooking and it takes all of 2 minutes. My husband misses the flames from our gas stove and that his mom's Revereware from the 195o's won't work on our induction. I do have a 1952 O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove I plan to use in a future remodel but will also be installing an induction cooktop!

• KD
    6 years ago

I’ve used both and currently prefer gas due to the options available (burner number, etc.) and the issue of some induction set ups making a lot of noise.

• dan1888
    6 years ago

Like many things induction can vary in quality. 17 or so power levels is a feature of Bosch and Miele and others. Some have 10. Small steps at the low end are most important. The pans you use can cause noise when the material sandwich making up the bottom isn't solid enough. Try a range or cooktop to see how you like it. No one has a problem with the lack of waste heat in summer. And the safety for kids.

• Sue 430
    6 years ago

I didn’t have gas, I had an electric smooth top before my remodel. I love my new induction. It’s super controllable, can boil water in a flash, and best of all, so easy to clean. Nothing gets cooked on, normally a damp towel or a spray of winded is all that is needed. On my old stove, I had to scrub the top every time I used it. My le creuset pans work very well on there, I did have to buy a few new pans to replace others that don’t work.

• sonni1
    6 years ago

I switched with no regrets.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    6 years ago

I put in gas at our mountain House (8300 ft, highest summer temp80) and loved it. Now in Phoenix, I'm trying a portable induction burner while waiting to upgrade from the existing electric coiltop. So far the only thing I miss about gas is being able to shake the pan. I don't want to scratch the induction glass surface but if I lift the pan, then the burner shuts off. This won't stop me from getting induction instead of gas though, just another part of the learning curve.

Being in Phoenix is a very strong inducement for induction!!

• Kim G
    6 years ago

My induction (wolf) doesn’t turn off for at least 30 seconds which allows you to remove and shake the pan and set it back down without turning off. Sounds like something to test out when looking at your induction cooktop options. I watched a “Craftsy” class over the weekend. The “pro” chef used induction (could not tell the brand - each burner was labeled “induction”) and he shaked and slide his pan multiple times on the surface. If the bottom of your pan is clean as well as your cooktop - sliding it back and forth should be fine. I have had no issues with my wolf for 2 1/2 years and I don’t baby it, I am more careful with my “antique” raw cast iron.

• jwvideo
    6 years ago

Auto-shutoff times vary greatly by brand and model. Some portable induction cookers (PIC) offer very little or no time window when a pan is removed, but others are a lot more generous.

FWIW, both my former PIC (a MaxBurton 6200) as well as my current commercial induction cooktop allow over a minute before turning off when a pan is removed for a lift/shake/flip maneuver. Same with the GE and Bosch induction ranges which I saw demonstrated a couple of years ago. Very much a YMMV thing.

As for scratching the ceramic-glass burner surfaces, experiences vary. Some folks toss pans with abandon and never see a scratch while others get a scratch right after installing their appliance. Others like to protect their induction stove-top/cooktop surfaces with paper towels, parchment or high-temp silicon pads or mats. Several long threads here discussing the ins and outs of that subject for anybody who wants to search.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

"So far the only thing I miss about gas is being able to shake the pan. I
    don't want to scratch the induction glass surface but if I lift the
    pan, then the burner shuts off."

Put some paper towels under the pan before shaking. That's what I do when I make popcorn. It doesn't effect the cooking at all, and doesn't burn.

• VH
    6 years ago
    We just switched to induction after having had gas for the last 15 years - I love it! We have a Thermador model, and it doesn’t shut off immediately if I lift the pan. I also love that with mine, I can set my pan on any part of the cook surface. The cooktop autodetects the shape and location of the pan and heats the entire surface that comes in contact with the cooktop (great with griddles and oversized pots/pans.) I’m not limited to specific burners like I was with my gas cooktop.
  • nightflyer
    6 years ago

I also switched from gas to induction and am very glad I made the switch. I can boil water faster, and melt chocolate without a double boiler, so I gained at both ends of the spectrum. Others have mentioned that really good gas units will give you low-temp control, but mine didn't.

The cleanup is especially nice. Not having to manhandle heavy grills to clean a spill is nice.

I'm not OCD, but I do like knowing that I can cook something repeatably by using the same power level each time. With gas, you look at the flame or try to remember where you had the knob -- was it at that mark or just a little to one side?. With my induction, I know that I like to melt butter at 2 if I want it to melt slowly, or 3 if I want it to melt a bit faster, then turn it up to 7 if I want to brown it. Always the same number. With gas, it was fidgit the knob here or there constantly.

• pk2003
    6 years ago

We switched from gas to induction about three and a half years ago to replace an older gas unit that was leaking. We bought a Jenn-Air 36 inch along with a seperate downdraft that actually vents to the outside. We invested in good pans and were in for the long haul. Within the first year, everything on the induction cooktop was replaced except for the glass top itself-thankfully it was still under warranty. Long story short, we can't stand cooking on induction it and are replacing it with a new gas cooktop this month.

We understand that it is a different type of cooking. The pros are that the induction cooktop is easy to clean and boils water like a champ. I also like the melt feature but don't use it enough for it to matter. The cons are that it does not regulate temperature well, turns off randomly (even if no water has splashed on it). Level 8 is boiling over and level 7 is not boiling. It will sometimes switch to low heat in the middle of a saute...then start up again. You can often see the burner pulsing within the food in the pot or pan along with a buzzing sound. Maybe its the brand we bought but I can't wait until it is switched back to gas.