Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rf1365

Has anyone ever used only the headboard portion of a complete bed?

rf1365
6 years ago

I love the Quincy bed from Ethan Allen, but it's a complete bed...meaning it has the sides, as well well as a footboard. Ethan Allen doesn't sell just the headboard. Our bedroom is too small to handle the complete bed, there is only room for a headboard. im wondering if it's possible to use only the headboard...secure it to the wall somehow. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Your bed frame should allow you to secure the headboard to it, for most modern headboards--look at the headboard end for the little flat brackets.

But I'd hate to spend the money for a whole bed just for a headboard.

rf1365 thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Quincy is a four-poster bed. The bed would not look correct without the footboard.

rf1365 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

http://www.interiorsbykenz.com/link-party-how-to-paint-a-headboard-on-the-wall/

Get and enthusiatic and somewhat talented friend to help you copy it to its wall.

rf1365 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Waynette Bailey
    6 years ago
    Headboard should attach ro bed frame.
    rf1365 thanked Waynette Bailey
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I guarantee your room is not too small. : ) Post the room dimensions and are you king or queen. A drawing with dimensions is better yet

Some real scale in a small room, can be a beautiful and ENLARGING visual

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Yes, and my shins thanked me. And my bedroom was big.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Interior Design Work · More Info

Using the entire bed, means no need for a dust ruffle. A light and airy look beneath ! You are worrying about five inches max, loss of space at the foot of a bed. This room was tiny......the whole bed is there.

rf1365 thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    6 years ago

I agree with Jan...It's a bedroom.

As long as you have room for a nightstand on either side, (my preference), it's plenty big enough for both sleeping and....

Reading.

• rf1365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Our room is 13' W x 10' L. The door opens just missing the right-hand side 'foot' corner.

Jan, you give me hope :-). I love the bed and it would definitely be such a waste to buy the whole bed and use only the headboard.

Thank you everyone...really appreciate all the feedback!

• rf1365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bed size is a queen size

• Fori
    6 years ago

I have an old art deco bed with a 12" deep headboard (it has a bookcase or niche or whatever you wanna call it) and about 8" of footboard, waterfall style with big chunky feet. To fit it in a tiny guest room, I bought a plain metal frame and stuck the footboard and rails in a closet. Didn't even attach them as the headboard can stand on its own. I think the very tall guest appreciates it.

That footboard isn't very big. Just try it out and if it doesn't work, put the extra parts in the attic. :)

Or....find a vintage bed like this one is trying to copy. It'll be better quality and you won't feel like you paid full price for a bunch of extra parts.

rf1365 thanked Fori
  • K Steele
    6 years ago
    We also have a tight bedroom and a queen bed. We have just a headboard, and it is attached to the wall. I like it attached to the wall so that we can move the bed to clean behind it easier. The headboard was a family heiloom and it didn't come with frame or footboard. We love it. My husband used to break footboard in his sleep and wake up restless from pushing on them because he's tall. It's annoying and not worth it. There are other design tricks to beautify your room. All you have to do is flip through this site to see there isn't any one rule that applies to everything. Good luck and have a great night!
    rf1365 thanked K Steele
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Go find a wood headboard or get one made and attach it to your wall.

rf1365 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    This style is one you might find in resale shop or antique shop. You might find a deal and maybe just a headboard. Save that money for great bedding.
    rf1365 thanked Flo Mangan
  • rf1365
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The husband also doesn't like footboards since he is tall.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

We don't have our headboard attached to anything....with the bed/mattress pushed up against it and the wall, it stays in place. If your headboard is a little low, attach some legs to it....they won't show behind the bed. We have a metal bed frame but never attached the headboard to it. No room for a foot board either.

rf1365 thanked erinsean
  • ptreckel
    6 years ago
    If you find an old headboard that you like, it is possible to find hardware that will allow you to retrofit if so that it can be attached to a metal mattress frame. I did that with antique headboards that lacked their side rails and foot boards.
    rf1365 thanked ptreckel
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County