Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_moher

Pink Brick Dilemma

Jennifer Moher
6 years ago

We have just purchased this house - but are unsure about what to do with the exterior. I have heard staining is not a good idea - but I can't help but feel that if this was all red brick - it would look gorgeous. Its in a newer "cookie cutter" type neighborhood - so I don't want to do anything too extreme.

If we leave the brick the colour it is - what would you suggest for garage/front door/shutters?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Congrats on your new house. This brick is painted, so there would be no way to make it look like red brick again. I would paint it a light cream color with SW Urbane Bronze trim, shutters and garage door. Example below.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Is it painted brick? It appears so in the picture.

• Jennifer Moher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't actually think it is - its just a salmon colour brick I believe.

• User
    6 years ago

Congratulations!

I think it’s a very pretty house that just needs some landscaping changes. If you post this on the Landscape Design forum, there are talented posters there who can do mock ups for you. :)

https://www.gardenweb.com/gardenweb/landscape-design

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Are the windows white? If so, I wouldn’t go too dark ( like black or....) for the garage door & shutters. I’d go a little lighter, a medium dark brown might look good. It just depends upon how you feel about the current color of the brick. It’s a very attractive house. Regardless of which direction you take on color, I think larger carriage lights & less “rigid” landscape design would look great. A less formal, relaxed landscape design would be nice, curving beds ... things like that.

• njmomma
    6 years ago

Nor a Pro.

A light Taupe color for the shutters and door is your friend with this color brick.

I would paint those before painting the garage door light taupe because your windows are white.

Wait it out before painting the garage door. You may not need to paint the garage door at all.

Add beautiful lighting.

Landscaping is key.

To me this home can easily have a cottage look if you want to go that route.

An arbor over the garage door. Window flower boxes.

Please keep us in the loop as proceed with your project.

Jennifer Moher thanked njmomma
  • mjlb
    6 years ago

Agree with not painting the brick, and that perceived color will change depending on landscape choices. I am really happy to read that is part if a newer cookie cutter neighborhood - it's a much nicer look than typical

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Staining the brick is different than painting the brick and painting or staining is not an issue if you are in part of the country that doesn't suffer violently cold weather.

You can also do German Mortar Smear done by a mason to change the appearance of the home.

Jennifer Moher thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jennifer Moher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am in Canada so I think that qualifies as violently cold lol we had thought about staining, yes (not painting)....but because of our winters we may not be able to get away with it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Staining is good enough for Sarah Richarson.........I would not hesitate in Canada.