Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv73

Small bath remodel, keep wall or not....?

marshallv73
6 years ago

Hi all

i plan to update a small bath later this year and have a question.

This is is a hall bath that also has direct access from a bedroom and has the tub/toilet segregated from the vanity. We’ve never had the need for this separation and don’t anticipate we ever will and the wall/door really makes it feel cramped. I think it was designed as a “quasi Jack and Jill”

Currently there are dual sinks that we plan to reduce to one. My initial thought is also to just get rid of that wall and door to make it feel a little bigger

Is there any reason to keep the wall separating the toilet/bath from the vanity?

Thank you for any insight.

Comments (13)

• tc_kellygirl
    6 years ago
    I wish my toilet had a “privacy” wall :-)
  • catbuilder
    6 years ago

I'd get rid of it.

• mercurygirl
    6 years ago

No need to keep that wall, especially if you want a smaller vanity and the space to be more open. It will be a nice bathroom if you simplify and make it feel more spacious, and renovate according to your taste. Go for it!

• grannysmith18
    6 years ago

Get rid of it. I might feel differently if there was just a small private "toilet room," which is nice to have if the bathroom is shared, but in your case the bathtub is also in there. What's the point?

I'm redoing my master bath and the contractor just took down half the wall (leaving a pony wall) between my shower and toilet - the room feels HUGE now, light and airy.

I wish I'd done it decades ago. Of course, I didn't have the money to do it decades ago :-).

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You could turn it into a pony wall and shorten the length so you have a place to attach a TP holder. Otherwise you'll need to attach it to the vanity, which brings the TP in closer to you and is a little more awkward to use. A pony wall also keeps your toilet centered in the space between the wall and the tub rather than adding 6" more floor space between vanity and toilet. But if you're doing a custom vanity, you can add that 6" to the vanity.

• User
    6 years ago

I'd take 'er down.

• Mo
    6 years ago

I got rid of mine, and also went from two sinks to one. The room is more spacious, and plenty of room for a free-standing TP holder.

• kudzu9
    6 years ago

I'd cut it down to a half wall and then put a piece of opaque glass on top of it for privacy.

• User
    6 years ago

That would look sharp. Otherwise it's like a million other bathrooms--including mine!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    6 years ago

Prefer to remove but a great alternate is do a pony wall.

• NH
    6 years ago

I would remove the wall and use a single vanity.

• PRO
    Priscilla Bandy
    6 years ago
    I would not maintain the wall.
  • Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Get rid of the wall. I think the current trend towards divided bathrooms is a mistake; it makes already-small rooms feel claustrophobic.