Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbeverick

80s House Needing Curb Appeal

G Beebs
6 years ago

We purchased this house because we love the inside but I really dislike the outside. We don't have a huge budget for remodel so I'm looking for more simple ways to improve the curb appeal and take away the 80s look as much as we can. My style is mostly traditional and we are located in the suburbs of Houston, TX.

I have looked at the possibility of painting the brick but I

have to get approval from my HOA and I've heard that they have never approved a brick painting request so I can't count on that.

We currently have vinyl siding and would like to switch to Hardiplank at some point. When we do that, would a different color help out problem? If so, what color? I know the siding looks very dirty in the first image, we have washed it since then!

And of course there is landscaping. I plan to remove the squatty palm on the left and replace it with a magnolia tree. I'm not sure what to do with the rest. I do NOT Have a green thumb so it needs to be fairly low maintenance!

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Comments (18)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wouldn’t paint the brick. I would remove all the shutters and paint the vinyl siding soft white…I think the brown windows would be highlighted.

Ask at your paint store for suggestions for a B.M. OC white…like White Opulence or Atrium white, as there is an undertone which leans toward pink, thinking that would really look great against the brick and the dark trim.

As for landscaping, that isn’t my thing, either, but I would pull out all the hedges so the entire window shows and when you do plant, keep it away from the windows. Inspiration photo:

G Beebs thanked JudyG Designs
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

The most basic landscaping thing is the doorway and windows are a really nice feature of your house and the shrubs are hiding them. If you want a shrub hedge, move it away from the house as the inspiration photos show. You might even be able to transplant your current hedge although it would be a lot of work so only you know if it would be worth it. If you don't want a hedge, place your accent plants where the brick walls are, to show them off to their best advantage. Keep foundation plantings well away from the house for maintenance and to prevent moisture and pests from hiding out against your house.

G Beebs thanked l pinkmountain
  • G Beebs
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the input!

I like the idea of painting it a soft white as opposed to the beige/almond it is now.

Thanks, Doug for the great images! I tend to stay away from brown so I probably wont go that route on the paint but the landscaping you put on there really helped me visualize how it could be different which is very helpful. I especially like the tall tree on the left of the house that you placed.

pinkmountain, I do not like having the box shrubs, they're leftover from previous owners. I think you are right and I will probably take them out and let the windows show more.

I'm also wanting to get rid of that huge lantern on the front and instead put in two matching lanterns on either side of the arch. My husband really wants gas lanterns but I'm not sure yet what the cost could be on those.

• A Fox
    6 years ago

Definitely lose the shutters, they aren't even right for this style of house. The biggest thing that you can do besides the landscaping mentioned multiple times above is when you change out the siding, be sure to trim out all of the windows. The added trim will really increase the visual quality and interest of your house. With the Hardiplank, I would definitely go with a wider exposure, probably 6" instead of the 4 or 3" of your current vinyl.

As far as painting the brick, I would hold off until you do the siding. The right color could really harmonize with the existing color and yield a contemporary look without losing the texture that the unpainted brick provides.

G Beebs thanked A Fox
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Love this one DigDoug

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Just wanted to say the squatty palm looks like it's a Sago. I don't blame you one bit for wanting it gone. They're fairly pricey here in Southern CA. It's possible you might be able to get something for it...if it's in good condition. We had some Sagos removed and got a great price on the new trees. The nursery we bought the trees from wanted the Sagos.

• G Beebs
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ned_b, great idea about framing out the windows, i had not thought of that! It would make a big difference.

chloebud, thanks for the tip about the palm! It is a little brown right now from a freeze but maybe if i wait until it perks up again I can get some money for it.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Yes...see what happens with it. Just wanted to be sure you knew about its possible value. Sagos are everywhere here and I've never understood their appeal. I think the high price is partly due to them being slow growing. It used to be you'd hear of small Sagos being stolen from yards due to their popularity and price. All I know is I don't want them in my yard.

G Beebs thanked chloebud
  • colonel115
    6 years ago

Before you get too excited check with your HOA to verify what you can do. Some HOA's are reasonable while others are shall we say are a pain.............

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Take Dig Doug's renderings to the HOA and see if they think its a horrible idea or if it causes them to loosen up their requirements. They may realize they have some unreasonable safeguards in place.

G Beebs thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

G Beebs thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Bette P
    6 years ago

Consider painting the siding a neutral, this is SW Tony Taupe. Remove the shutters, paint the horizontal fascia board at the roofline the same as the roof. Is your roof black or brown?

G Beebs thanked Bette P
  • G Beebs
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Bette P! The taupe does look nice. I tend to like more light/airy colors so I'm leaning towards a soft white. Do you think that would look good on the siding? In answer to your question, the roof is brown.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Your siding is too yellow. You need something with similar undertone as the brick. If you like light colors, I like judyGs suggestion of a soft whit with pink undertones. A sherwin williams white to try is Snowbound.

G Beebs thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Bette P
    6 years ago
    Soft white would be quite nice. You could buy a gallon and try it on the lower right window area to see how it looks with the brick. Get a sample of Benjamin Moore White Heron. If the roof is brown, paint the horizontal fascia board the same brown.
    G Beebs thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    REMARK
    6 years ago
    The idea of removing the shrubs around the house and creating a nice enclosed garden with a hedge and columns or gate at the sidewalk is a great one. Low maintenance, native shrubs would be a great choice for this. Most areas have a native plant society that can help with what's available in your area. Happy renovating!
    G Beebs thanked REMARK
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    6 years ago

You may think about having 2 striking exterior lanterns flanking the door, as opposed to 1 large lantern on the left.

We are the oldest open flame/electric copper lighting company in the U.S. and hand make every one of our fixtures in New Orleans, LA. We have hundreds of different lighting combinations and offer a complimentary design service. From your pictures, the French Quarter on gooseneck bracket or original bracket, and Coach House on tudor scroll bracket are all lovely options for this application. Feel free to email us pictures of your space and we will be happy to make style and scale recommendations.

Happy renovating! -Lindsey @ Bevolo