Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri_riley

Help me find a source for this Vintage Tile

I have to replace some plumbing fixtures in a circa 1969 Florida condo. It was rarely used by former owner for 20+ years and the tile is near pristine condition in the bath. It's funky and I'm afraid I will have to destroy some of it to get the fixtures replaced. I've tried Google Image Match and can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• palimpsest
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Could you show the rest of the bathroom? There may be some way to compensate for any damaged tile. I have never seen this tile before, it's great.

Why do you have to replace the fixtures?

Cheri Riley Group - Luxury Real Estate thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Cheri Riley Group - Luxury Real Estate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This place is a fortress. Plaster and block construction. I have seen some pretty brutal "fixes" in other units. Most just start over. The former owners did a decent update with a somewhat compatible floor tile choice. This is not an expensive place so budget is important but I just love this tile. Seriously I would use it in a new build. The ridges and rectangular shape with the random

paint splotches are

too cute.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

If it's a condo situation, is it possible that someone in another unit may be planning to rip theirs out and would let you harvest some?

Cheri Riley Group - Luxury Real Estate thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh, why...the shower and diverter are leaking. Old plumbing fixtures and they have fused or corroded inside so they can't replace just the knobs. The kitchen sink is doing the same thing and it's behind it so it's possible they can reach in and do both but other units have just patched with other tile and it looks really bad. I was hoping I could find it somewhere in case I needed to replace the strip around the fixture.

• Jennifer_in_KS
    6 years ago

If you haven't already, I suggest cross-posting this in Design Dilemma or Home Decorating. There are some very creative people there, as well as some great sleuths.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Maybe you could cut out an entire section behind the toilet tank and carefully remove them as extras and patch behind the tank. Are there tiles under the vanity?

We carefully removed a section of tiled flooring buy cutting along the grout lines and lifting the entire section out.

The thing with your shower is having to repair any waterproofing under the tiles as well.

One thing you could do is a narrow vertical strip of plain white quarts like White Zeus Extreme from tub to ceiling where the plumbing needs to be replaced. At least it would look more intentional.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

A solid piece of plain quartz or solid surface in a white that either matches the tub or the tile vertically where the new plumbing needs to go.

Plus I think I would change to a gold toned shower enclosure to highlight the gold in the tile

• Helen
    6 years ago

I don't know if it is comparable at all but I had to replace my broken fixtures and the did it through the back where it is attached to the pipes anyway.

Since you have relatively small footprint fixtures, any disturbance to the tiles might be able to be handled with some kind of matching metal plate.

I just hired plumbers and any part of the wall now showing (i.e. isn't covered by metal parts) doesn't have holes so I assume they found fixtures that more or less retrofitted to the holes.

I know that they attempted to just find internal replacement mechanisms for a repair but they couldn't so the front part also had to be taken out.

I am completely a lay person with only the most basic understanding and no knowledge of plumbing nomenclature - all I know is that they went in from the back and then had to retro fit something to the front. Mine was a hideous fiberglass tub/shower enclosure but the principle would be the same in terms of not having a gaping hole where a different fixture was installed.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for all of these great suggestions. The plumber comes Friday so we will see what he says.