Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Design Help Needed! - Mixing metals in Kitchen......

mjammjam
6 years ago

This is my kitchen to be installed in a few weeks. I will be using 3 brass lanterns over the dark grey island. My range hood is stainless steel with chrome stripe. My oven and stove are stainless, but fridge will be paneled. Can I put white prep sink in the island and use brass faucet and hardware on the cabinets, and then use white perimeter sink with polished nickel on faucet and hardware? I really like the brass but don't want to overdo it....

Please let me know how I can incorporate brass without mixing too many items.

Mont Blanc Counters everywhere

These are the kitchen/colors I really like:

White inset kitchen · More Info

How much brass is good, and how much is too much???

Thanks so much for your expertise and Good Design-Eye!!

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Fowler Design & Build
    6 years ago

I'm usually all for mixing metals, but I would not suggest mixing metals for two faucets in the same kitchen. I feel like it will not be a cohesive, clean look. I would suggest brass for your plumbing, lighting & hardware. You already have the second metal of the appliances in the same space. I am a little concerned with the chrome stripe on the hood. I like the shape of the hood, but I feel like it'll conflict with the brass lanterns & the glass design (mullions) in your cabinets. I would suggest the same hood without the stripes or a white custom built hood to match the cabinets. The cabinet design is beautiful! I hope this info helps! Good luck with your project!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Vicki

I already ordered the range hood. Should I nix the pendants and go with all polished nickel and forget all brass??
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi again Vicki,

How does the range hood conflict with the glass doors? I’ve ordered both - Yikes

Thanks so much for the explanation.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Becky

You must know me — I love bling! Haha

So if I use brass pendants and hardware but chrome faucets, what should both sinks be? I wanted white farmhouse for perimeter. What about Island sink?
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

I like stainless for sinks, I think it's the most practical material. My question is what kind of style/look are you going for? Parts of your kitchen are modern, like the hood, but your pendant lights are really traditional looking.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Carolina

I really don’t have a specific style. I like traditional with modern touches. The pendant lights are the only ones I found that are ok for an 8’ ceiling. And I don’t love them. And I wanted some brass to warm things up and add some glam. I want a white farmhouse sink because it’s pretty but I’m not opposed to stainless if it works better. Should both sinks match also!

Thank you
  • PRO
    Kimber Feece, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    6 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, like many, I love mixing metals but I think faucets in the kitchen need to be the same color way. Hope that helps

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

mj, I'd keep both sinks the same material. Either both white farmhouse style, or both stainless.

I hate the term "transitional" lol but from your inspiration pics above, I'd say transitional, which is somewhere in between traditional and modern, borrowing from both/each.

The pendant lights are the only ones I found that are ok for an 8’ ceiling. And I don’t love them.

What would you rather have? Is it too late to change? Can we help you find something else you like better?

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not fond of lantern style lights and candle bulbs, I'd go with something with a shade that directs light down to the work surface. I think a more cohesive look would be all of the cabinets looking traditional and all the hardware (whatever color) in a more transitional/modern style.

Keep the faucets the same style and finish and the sinks the same finish.

• PRO
    Fowler Design & Build
    6 years ago

I agree with Carolina Kitchen & Bath's comments. If you ordered the hood (modern), you may want to change out the pendants (traditional). I think the white sinks for both spaces would work great for this kitchen.

• Kim Q
    6 years ago
    I too am mixing metals. I have stainless appliances, sink and faucet. I’m bringing brass in with sconces and cabinet pulls. I’m also going to bring in some brass accents in the decor in the kitchen and adjoining family room to make it cohesive.
    mjammjam thanked Kim Q
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all. I would love help finding new pendants. I wanted gold/brass to brighten up the area. My ceiling is only 8’ so I am limited. How about these that are 14” high? I wish they were brass though - they only come in polished nickel.
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

I think this one's jazzy but might be too much.

Here's one that might be a middle ground.

mjammjam thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • mjammjam thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like the “jazzy” one.

So, should I use chrome faucets and brass knobs and pulls? Would chrome faucet look OK under hanging brass pendants? Are these Jazzy ones modern? I can’t tell —
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Yes, the jazzy ones are modern, only get those if you feel daring. It was the first thing my eye went to on the page, so I posted a photo. If you've got a stainless hood, I'd use brushed nickel faucets. When it comes to mixing metals, I wouldn't mix more than two finishes.

6 years ago

So, should I use chrome faucets and brass knobs and pulls?

You could use chrome or stainless, both of which are on the range hood.

Would chrome faucet look OK under hanging brass pendants?

Yes.

mjammjam thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks again guys!

Are those jazzy pendants daring? Haha. Who makes them? I’ll do a search for some too. I think it’s more daring to use brass hardware! Hope it looks pretty!

Thank you.
  • jani
    6 years ago
    I have the same style pendants. I did the matte gold .on island and matte black faucet and pulls on perimeter cabinets. Love it!
    mjammjam thanked jani
  • mjammjam thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How's this pendant? Is it modern? I like this brass color - whatever it is....

I don't think I want brass hardware on entire kitchen, I only really wanted it on the dark grey island. But since it won't look good to mix it up there, how are these handles? Are they modern?

• ericakn
    6 years ago

Check out hinkley lighting heritage brass!

mjammjam thanked ericakn
  • ruthkaiser
    6 years ago

Try West Elm.. They come in three sizes and you can adjust the length when hanging,

mjammjam thanked ruthkaiser
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

This is what I mean by mixing traditional cabinet features with other, more modern elements.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Carolina -

I want to try to achieve that look too. I don't always know how to identify styles (modern, traditional, contemporary). I posted a Tom Dixon Brass pendant above that looks bold and has a nice shade of gold to me. Sometimes the brass looks orange which I don't like. Would you think that one above is good? And should I use 3 on my island which is a little over 9' long? Should I incorporate some other brass somewhere else? Maybe over the kitchen table which is wide open to the left of this space? Or should I try to find counter stools with some brass? Is that overkill?

This is the kitchen before we emptied it. See the proximity to the kitchen table near the island?

Thanks so much!!!!!

6 years ago

mj, consider posting in the Kitchen forum as well for more answers for your project.

mjammjam thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ohhhh -- Can I copy and paste this to the kitchen forum? Or can I add this there?

• ericakn
    6 years ago

I don’t think you have to overdo it. We have brass light fixtures and brass door knobs. I would put in the permanent stuff first and if you feel it needs more brass add. A few elements may be enough!

mjammjam thanked ericakn
    6 years ago

mj, you can cut and paste, or write a new post with just the current questions. It's up to you.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok - I'll try....Thanks, Becky

Wait -- Am I in the kitchen forum already? It says Home Decorating, Design Dilemma, and Kitchen at the top of this page.....

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ericakn -- I guess I should just do the brass pendants for now.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Here's how to tell brass plated from solid brass: Brass plated things have a yellow look, solid brass has a more warm gold look to it.

6 years ago

Wait -- Am I in the kitchen forum already? It says Home Decorating, Design Dilemma, and Kitchen at the top of this page.....

You may have already cross-posted. I'm reading this in the GardenWeb Home Decorating forum.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok -- Here I am again....Which ones work best of these:

Sloane 2-Light Hanging Shade, Antique-Burnished Brass, Antique Brass · More Info
    Thank again!

Or are they all no good????

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

I really like number 5, the white and gold one, but it's not right for the setting. Number 4 is very striking and would probably work. Number 3 is too mid/mod. For me, it's in the same category as 5 - cool but not right. Number 2 will be safe (three across). I don't like 1 or 6 at all.

HTH

6 years ago

#1 is too cutesy; I know what they're trying to do, but I don't like it.

#5 is a no.

#2, #3, #4, #6 for me would all work, depending on the look you're going for.

Are they all in your budget considering you need three of them?

• PRO
    Kimber Feece, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    6 years ago

I feel like #2 is the best look, not sure on dimensions and budget though.