Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_conley

Help with Kitchen Counter-top selection

N C
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

HI ... I just put in new kitchen cabinets. They are an off-white creamy color. I do not know what countertop, backsplash or knobs to put with it. I would love a designer look but alas, I am without a designer.

The first pictures are my kitchen - the last my inspiration.

I would really appreciate any assistance or advice you can give me. Thank you.

Cathedral Living Room · More Info

Comments (16)

• N C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL..I'm not feeling the love here....

• jck910
    6 years ago

Wow looking good!! I love cambria quartz. Here are some ideas:

BRITTANICA

DOVEDALE
    IRONSBRIDGE
    SUMMERHILL

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    Look at Houzz photos for counter inspiration. There are too many choices out there, so find out what makes you say "Ahhh". Granite, Quartz, marble, Corian, manmade or natural stone. Go look at samples and choose a product.
    If you want a classy but quiet look, my friend has white marble with minimal gray veining in her white-and-stainless kitchen. I have very unusual granite, mainly pale brown with touches of white, gray and (oddly) pink quartz inclusions.
    Go to a stoneyard to look at slabs, which mostly come in 8' lengths about 5-6' wide (I think). Granite is often full of movement, some less so. Quartz can be almost solid color, marble is less colorful with beautiful veining. Buy what you love and what fits your budget...hopefully what you love fits your budget. We can't pick for you.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Go to wherever you got the cabinets they must have counter top samples bring 3 home you like a make a choice. A LR picture really is not inspiration for the look you want in a kitchen. You need to upgrade the lighting and remove the fan and IMO should have a counter depth fridge in that small space.

N C thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • sofikbr
    6 years ago

With white kitchen and wood floors you really can use any countertops. From your inspiration photos I see you like blue, green. Would you like to add some color with countertops or you can go with very light countertops and add some color with backsplash? I think you need to give us some preferences before we can give you good advice.

• joycedjay
    6 years ago
    You almost have a blank canvas! Find the counters you love that work with the cabinet color. If you get “bossy” counters, then get simple backsplash tile. If you go for simple counters, you can get a “bossy” backsplash or just keep it all very subtle. Hardware after you have those things selected. And be very careful of the undertones of the things you select - make sure everyone plays together nicely!
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

You have warm cabinets & warm floors so you want to look for a warm countertop. Nothing with stark white in it. I would personally keep it all light & airy since that seems to be yours style. I would take a cabinet door & a floor sample to the stone yard & see what looks good. Take some pics, get some samples & see if anything really stands out to you. Feel free to post pics here & we can help.

• N C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! The LR (for my inspiration) is actually for the space on the other side of the peninsula. (The LR has a small footprint with a high ceiling 12ft x 8ft and a long staircase on the opposite side). So it is part of the kitchen. The refrigerator is counter depth; I just need to push it in further. My cabinets were made by a local person so I don't have access to any recommendations or samples. I have always had corian and liked it. But now with this kitchen, and the stress of HGTV binge watching, I feel like "that designer look" would lead me more in the direction of granite, quartz or quartzite. I saw a quartzite (white pearl) that I like but I don't want it to look like a hotel bathroom. This is my first ever renovation and would love to love the space. I have having a hard time posting some of my pictures. I will post more when I figure it out.

• kariyava
    6 years ago

If quartzite is in your budget, I would look at Taj Mahal. It is warm but also light and airy. So pretty, and is low maintenance as well.

I would definitely choose your countertop first, then figure out your backsplash. Take a door from your cabinet to stone yards and find something that goes well with the warm white. Also try to take samples of your favorite stones back home to see if it looks the same in your lighting.

• N C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just saw a piece of Andromeda Granite. I wanted to know what you think of it for the countertop?

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Silestone Daria.

N C thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • bjakupi86
    6 years ago

Absolutely love your cabinets! What door profile is that?

• N C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Thank you! The cabinet maker called them shaker cabinets with a double layer. I just saw something like it in The Home Depot Martha Stewart Living Kitchen (Ox Hill or Tipton). It looks really nice!

• C D
    6 years ago

if your cabinets and floors are warm what about copper or brushed gold cabinet pulls?

• N C
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. I will look those finishes up when I go to the store.