Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummelrlee

Front Door, porch and shutter colors... help!

hummelrlee
6 years ago

Need help with picking colors for dated 90's ranch. Looking to paint front door, porch and shutters. House is a yellow-ish beige and currently shutters are hunter green (yuk!). Was thinking a navy blue or red door.

Help please!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Remove the shutters they do not work on that house . I always love grayed greens for mixing with brick . A wider porch with glass and metal railing an new door with more glass and I would not have a storm door but install a phantom screen. Then get to work on landscaping and since the grass does not look very happy see what else can be used insted. Choose you door color after all the rest is done.

• hummelrlee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Remove shutters altogether? Thought about getting wider shutters in a different color.

And we just started our landscaping project this weekend!

• Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    I think a bright white exterior with black shutters, black trim, and a deep yet bright red would look beautiful! your shutters are small but replacing them might be an unnecessary expense? Its a really lovely home
  • Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    Something like these would be nice These are from pinterest
  • hummelrlee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. Painting the exterior siding is a project we were thinking to do a year or two. We like the greenish gray siding as well, however, our neighbor has the same color so we can't do that. Trying to avoid white siding. Was hoping to make some relatively quick and budget friendly updates with the current siding.

• Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    In that case changing the color of the shutters and the door would still make a huge difference without breaking the bank
  • Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    Changing the door to a more modern door in the color Red you like would make a big difference as well we had a light yellow home with a red door and its looks sweet like a farm house or something
  • hummelrlee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any suggestions on the color for shutters, door and even porch?

• Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    Which app do you use to do that? Its great! That way we can play with colors
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Try Sherwin Williams Colorsnap Visualizer. You can just load the pic and try on colors. Just keep in mind that the colors don't always show true. But you can get a good idea what colors you like.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Your shutters should look like they would cover the window if closed. That can look odd on double windows since the shutters would be very wide. Sometimes a wide trim around the windows is a better option.

• hummelrlee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Used the SW Colorsnap Visualizer for black shutters and red door. Thoughts?

• Cindy R.G.
    6 years ago
    That is such a cool app! Thank you so much
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Here are a few ideas! Although where I am living, Utah, all the new house trends are white houses with dark windows....aka the farmhouse industrial look!

But there are so many looks.

Teal with cream trim and yellow/green door

Purple House · More Info

Deep blue

Retreat · More Info

Rich chocolate brown

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Mossy green with crisp white

Custom Architecture · More Info

Charcoal grey with crisp white trim and red accents in landscape

Historic Urban Neighborhood Total Renovation · More Info

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I think the house looks better without the shutters.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville