Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindi_richter

Idea to bring this yard and exterior up to date

Mindi Richter
6 years ago
We have been in our house about a month now and it's time to start updating. My husband wants to paint the brick, I say no I think we just change the color of the trim and doors. I am clueless about what colors to use! Also what kind of landscaping could I do in the areas next to the house below the windows? I don't know if I should choose low plants or try for height? Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No to painting the brick unless you don’t mind lowering the value of a very nice house. I would get a new front door , make a path that leads to the front door from the street not the drivewayonly. Then landscaping will work wonders on the exterior appeal I would paint the trim the darkest color from the brick and the garage doors too. A front door with more glass will be good like a MCM one.. As for the actual landscaping take pictures with you to your garden center with some ideas about how much mainteance you are willing to do remembering to mention the new walkway to the door.As for the style of landscaping go on line and look at different styles

• Can D
    6 years ago
    I would paint out the doors dark to match the darkest brick. Painting can get quite expensive- but if you do go that route look into stain instead of paint.
  • Mindi Richter
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Do you think leave the trim off white and paint the entry door a charcoal color? what about the garage doors?
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

Yes to painting the trim. I’m not fond of the dark bricks , I’d try staining them lighter if possible, to blend in more, they seem to “jump out” at me. Plants should not block the windows.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I think this house could really benefit from a front porch.

• Mindi Richter
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Really great ideas! Thanks!
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Mindi, the examples from Doug and grover look nice. Beware of any color that's too cool...like certain grays. They can clash with your warm roof and brick colors. No to painting the brick, but I like K Laurence's suggestion.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• Mindi Richter
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have started looking into the stain for the brick and it seems like a great way to go! What colors would work well with the existing roof color?
  • User
    6 years ago

Wow! I think if you incorporated the suggested groveraxles porch design WITH Doug's design the place would look so wonderful, they have it all planned out for you!

• Elle
    6 years ago

I would suggest painting the garage doors and front door the same color as the roof. As far as landscaping, I really like Doug's design. If the budget is limited, I would recommend at least increasing the depth of the current landscaping bed with more definitive curves and adding a variety of small low-maintenance plants.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I like the idea to lighten just the dark brick so they blend better. Otherwise, the plan above are excellent. I would get a landscape architect out to look at it and make you up a plan with plants for your area. I would avoid putting a path through the middle of your yard, but that might be personal preference. Could be nice if people walk through the yard often.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH