Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris3027

Trying to match a Kohler toilet lid to Toilet - Already two strikes

Chris R.
6 years ago

Hi. Im having a heck of a time trying to replace my Kohler toilet lid with a toilet lid that matches the darn toilet. My tank is model K4519. The old lid was a mismatch to begin with so I couldnt use that as reference -- it was close but off.

I went to the store and bought a Biscuit color but it was way too light and had to return it. I then bought Almond off of Amazon but it is again too light. My toilet is a tad darker and maybe just a TINGE of grey in it. Almost a cross between taupe and grey. I believe my shower (background) is the same color as the tank. I suppose it doesnt help that the lights in my bathroom at incandescent. Matching under different light sources in the store makes it more difficult.

Here are photos of the tank with the Almond lid on it. You can see its not correct. Im at my wits end on this and the next toilet lid I buy is going to be the last, otherwise Im going to start using the toilet without one! Any help to nail down the toilet color so I can get a matching Kohler lid would be grateful!

Comments (19)

• Chris R.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The tank and tub are original to the house which we built in Jan 1990. I think you may be right in that the tub is slightly "greyer" than the toilet. Still, Almond is definitely lighter than either one. Id rather match to the toilet than the tub since Im buying a toilet lid though.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Sometimes the underside of the tank lid has a number and date on it. There are toilet seat matching companies that will send you samples. https://www.classic-colors.com/MATCHYOURCOLOR

• User
    6 years ago

1990 says Mexican Sand is the more likely candidate. Any plumbing place like Ferguson’s should have the paper samples. It’s very rare just to be able to buy the tank lid though. Most companies have defaulted to selling whole fixtures only. Which is why I suggested contacting Kohler directly. If they have one, they are pretty good about getting it to you.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    You can always measure and just get a wooden one...
  • Chris R.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wood is not an option for decor reasons.

I was at Lowes tonight and found a Kohler leaflet with some swatches. Not sure how accurate they are. The Dune color seems closest. Im not sure how accurate this print is however because the Almond looks way way too dark. Almond was too LIGHT for my toilet. Also there was no print/swatch for Mexican Sand.

I would almost contend the toilet has just a TINGE of red in it. Just enough to not make it a straight milky beige. It looks beige, but only against other colors or swatches does it seem to have that angle to it.

• Stacey
    6 years ago
    Try plumbing supply.com
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Seeking a perfect match to a fixture that is 28 years old may be unrealistic....perhaps go a shade darker to coordinate with the floor color or the tub color...
  • Chris R.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah this has been a royal pain in the butt. I may try one more seat color -- nothing in stock at Lowes or Home Depot is dark/beige enough. They are all white, biscuit, almond types. And its not that this is really a dark toilet. I guess its just an unusual beigey type color. Just ordered Sandbar (try #3!).

I may end up doing what I didnt want to do and buy a seat cover for it. The seat itself will still be seen under it, but probably not enough to look too atrocious. Im hopeful Sandbar will get be close enough. Honestly Biscuit and Almond were not close.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Just one more reason for WHITE tubs and toilets. When you get a new toilet , even in white? A good white toilet brand, and a plumbing supply capability is to order a second seat/lid for the future and store it. One toilet/2 seats. There you go.

A 1990 bath is probably begging for an update in other ways : )

• latifolia
    6 years ago

Have you considered getting a new toilet? They’re not that expensive, and you would be done with this by now. It will pay for itself with savings on your water bill, as a new toilet will use less than 1/3 the water. We got a new Kohler with aqua-piston last year, and it works very well.

• Chris R.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Im afraid Im not buying a new toilet to replace a perfectly good toilet just to match a $20 toilet seat.

• H Chen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So...did you get the correct match?? (Edit: I've been trying to color-match a 1995 Kohler K3397. I tried Biscuit, which turned out way too light. Guess will try Sandbar or even the newer Dune. It's such a pain. If only I had a color code somewhere on the toilet -- don't see one.)

• Chris R.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nope never quite matched but it was close enough and most people other than myself might not even notice. Seems like there are 10 shades of Kohler tans and off whites in terms of toilet seats. Why I have no idea. Shouldnt be this difficult.

• skunst2017
    3 years ago

No, it shouldnt!

• Stephanie Raven
    3 years ago

Chris I think the color that you seek is called "Parchment" -- 40. https://www.us.kohler.com/us/nonprdcontent/gadgets/articleImageViewer.jsp?colorSearch=true&enalrge=yes&relatedobj=CT_v1980s_Parchment40_Cnt&subsec=color-1980&parentId=T1-color-timeline According to their website Kohler used it until 1989, but I am guessing that it took years for all of the products in that color to be sold off once it was discontinued. I hope this is helpful!

• gina cintron
    2 years ago

innocent blush

• HU-133571994
    2 years ago

Im having the same problem! i ordered sandbar but it is too dark. kohler customer service says my toilet model number is too old!

• Aaron Beatty
    last year

Did you every find something suitable?