Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscadena

Exterior Arches...

Justine Cadena
6 years ago

We have 2 arches on the outside of our home that are just painted plywood. We'd like to either change, conceal or do something design wise with the arches, but we are sure what to do...

We are looking for the most economical and aesthetically pleasing way to change up our home.

We've thought about removing the arches and placing windows, painting the arches, or bricking in the arches, but we are sure what will look the best in the long run.

Any suggestions welcome!

The picture is of one side with the arch, the other side of our home has an arch too, but smaller.

Comments (13)

• Justine Cadena
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The side in the photo is our garage, the other arch is smaller and is a bedroom. We thought about windows, but aren't sure how economically they would be.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

The cheapest option to minimize the look of them would be to paint it a color that closely matches the brick. You could always start with that.

• Justine Cadena
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! We will look into this!

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Call a custom window dealer to come out for a recommendation. Or show your photos (from inside and outside) to the manager of a local glass place to see if they can recommend a local window maker.

Justine Cadena thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    David D. Quillin Architecture
    6 years ago

Hello, just a thought: I love that arch! It is a very unusual and distinctive feature of your home, and works well with the curves in the brick on either side of the wall. I would not try to minimize it or square it up, but instead dress it up a bit. One suggestion for the garage would be to put a window in the top ⅓ or so, and change the material on the bottom ⅔ -- perhaps a painted cement-board panel, or horizontal wood strip. If there is siding other than brick anywhere else on the house, then perhaps that material would work well below the window...

Justine Cadena thanked David D. Quillin Architecture
  • Justine Cadena
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you @david D. the small window atop wasn't something we had thought of, that's a great idea!

• awm03
    6 years ago

Would a large sconce look good there?

Or a wall fountain?

I would hesitate to chop up the arch with blocks of windows, though I'm sure you could use light in the garage.

Justine Cadena thanked awm03
  • john3582
    6 years ago
    A garden with a trellis ,. Climbing roses climatis?
  • awm03
    6 years ago

Planter box with trellis and ivy or clematis?

• Lauren
    6 years ago
    I was going to suggest what John and Ann suggested! For the garage arch at least.
  • Justine Cadena
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the idea of the sconce! We were trying our best to convert the house to more of a ranch style look, but I'm not sure how that would be done...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Fixed Bronze Glass Window. Shouldn't cost too much.